Jordanthorpe Secondary Modern School

Anyone went to Jordanthorpe Secondary school between 1955-1960. I remember someTeachers were Bennett, Walker, Jenkins, White, Wragg, Sibley and head Adams.

I was at Jordanthorpe from 1957 to 1961 Most of that time in Mr. "Chalky" White's class.

Also Deputy Head Mr Rook.

I was there between 55 and 59. Adams was Head, Miss Beech was my first teacher also Walker and Chalky. Wasn't Bennet the "Medicine Man".

Is the flag pole at the front of the school still standing, Ken Chatten plus 2 names a I can't remember and myself constructed the steel foundations.

Sadly, Jordanthorpe School no longer exists. It amalgamated with Rowlinson School in 1988 and became Meadowhead School but using Jordanthorpe buildings

Subsequently both North and South buildings were demolished and a new school built in what were the playing fields.

What was North Building is now an Audi showroom and garage so, no, the flag pole is no longer there. Good job we have happy memories.

I was there much later, my eldest brother started in 1960/62 I think?

Some of the teachers mentioned were still there in my day. I remember my first day and getting pulled aside by Mr Sibley (it was his final year teaching) then being told " I taught your father at grammar school, you are obviously not as bright as him"

Cheek!!!

I was there much later, my eldest brother started in 1960/62 I think?

Some of the teachers mentioned were still there in my day. I remember my first day and getting pulled aside by Mr Sibley (it was his final year teaching) then being told " I taught your father at grammar school, you are obviously not as bright as him"

Cheek!!!

Something must've altered, because I remember Mr.Sibley roaming around the school library - did he teach Geography as a subject? - for a few years, and I didn't start at J school until after the winter of '62...think he was there for a few years after that.

I remember seeing him 'kitted up' and in town waiting for the Bakewell/Hathersage/wherever bus to go hiking.

Nice bloke - I liked him a lot, but my favourite teacher was 'Chalky' White...I thought he was brilliant. No longer with us, I suppose...

Does anyone know what happened to the engine that sat on the bench

in Mr Sargent's metalwork room in the North Building.

It was from a Reliant I think? and was a teaching aid with cut out sections

to show the inner workings.

Anyone went to Jordanthorpe Secondary school between 1955-1960. I remember someTeachers were Bennett, Walker, Jenkins, White, Wragg, Sibley and head Adams.

Attended Jordanthorpe 1957-1961.

First year was spent at Jordanthorpe Anex (Old Greenhill School), for woodwork we went by bus down to Dutchess Road School and for swimming to Heeley baths, to get back home after lessons we were provided with bus tokens. Teachers- Walton, Hill Wilson, Kirkwood, Sibley, Jenkin, Fred Rooks, Pop Adams (batman).

I was in Mr. Smith's and Mr Bennett's class at that time and remember it well

Does anyone know what happened to the engine that sat on the bench

in Mr Sargent's metalwork room in the North Building.

It was from a Reliant I think? and was a teaching aid with cut out sections

to show the inner workings.

I remember the engine on a trolley. It was in Mr Gibbs classroom on the first floor in the south corridor. That would be circa 1965 ish. Mr Sellars arrived whilst I was there, anyone remember him, absolutely bonkers. Ivor Haythorne and Dilks the music teacher, both psychopaths who should never have been in mainstream education. Hardy the art teacher who was still ****** on Monday morning after his weekend benders, he use to go into the ante room for a smoke during the lesson. Peg leg Pecket, the woodwork teacher who was too handy with the slipper. Halcyon days!!!!

Attended Jordanthorpe 1957-1961.

First year was spent at Jordanthorpe Anex (Old Greenhill School), for woodwork we went by bus down to Dutchess Road School and for swimming to Heeley baths, to get back home after lessons we were provided with bus tokens. Teachers- Walton, Wilson, Kirkwood, Sibley, Jenkin, Fred Rooks, Pop Adams (batman).

I attended between 1961 till1965, opposite the annexed there was a sweet shop, it belonged to the Munks, their son Dave played for Sheffield UTD. I remember Sibley, he was in the library.Helliwell was the woodwork teacher, in my last year Haythorne was the form teacher, he knocked about with Miss Waite, I believe he later married her, he was very strange.

I attended between 1961 till1965, opposite the annexed there was a sweet shop, it belonged to the Munks, their son Dave played for Sheffield UTD. I remember Sibley, he was in the library.Helliwell was the woodwork teacher, in my last year Haythorne was the form teacher, he knocked about with Miss Waite, I believe he later married her, he was very strange.

Was Miss Waite a teacher at Bradway County School (now Lowedges)? There was a teacher by that name there 1960 - 1966.