Are some drivers idiots or just plain ignorant?

I think you'll find that these offences already exist, all that these councils are asking for is the power to enforce them. Law abiding motorists will still have nothing to fear.

Can anyone explain why the council? think it's a good idea to plant lots of vegetation on roundabouts so that you can only see what's entering from the junction on your right rather than being able to see the entire roundabout..?You can stop at the line..look right .see nothing is coming and set off only to be nearly side swiped by a vehicle that was coming round the roundabout from "behind the bushes" if you see what I mean..

At a guess...to stop cars racing onto the roundabout at speeds incompatible with the junction

At a guess...to stop cars racing onto the roundabout at speeds incompatible with the junction

Do you reckon it's safer to only see about 10 yards of road to your right than it is to be able to see the whole roundabout..?

Do you reckon it's safer to only see about 10 yards of road to your right than it is to be able to see the whole roundabout..?

If it forces drivers to slow right down rather than have a clear view so attempt to take a roundabout at high speed, yes it can be.

Of courser the SAFEST is to have a clear view of the roundabout and approach it sensibly. Unfortunately the latter cannot always be guaranteed.

Some drivers are just stupid don't under the mad rush.

I love threads about driving...for sure all who have spouted on here about others will be saints on the road...

Winter's coming, then I can read threads about how nobody else can drive in snow except the poster, how such and such should have been driving faster/not revving/wheelspinning/high gear/low gear etc etc.....

What is it about emergency vehicles and people pulling up in stupid places?

This morning heading to work along the A61, as I drove past the Jet Petrol station I noticed a flashing blue light on the sharp bend so I slowed down thinking there had been an incident on the bend.

When I got there someone had pulled up on the bend heading out of Sheffield forcing 3 other cars behind him to also pull up to allow an ambulance past.

I was heading into Sheffield and stopped to let the ambulance go. Quite rightly the ambulance driver was very cautious because he was being forced across the double white lines.

Thinking he wanted me to go first I started moving again, just as he did the same thing. There was still enough space for him to get past, so I stopped again to let him go.

Now the question is, why did someone pull up on a bad bend to let an ambulance past?

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I tend to keep driving at the speed limit when I have an emergency vehicle behind me until there's a clear/safe run of road and then I indicate to pull over and let it past. Pulling up on a tight bend I would consider dangerous and likely to slow an emergency vehicle down.

Is there a written rule on this?

Regards

Doom

there are no lane markings on this particular roundabout but when its busy drivers do form two lanes to keep queues down on approach i agree inside lane (kerbside) for turning left and straight ahead but if the car in front of me was waiting to turn left i would not hesitate to use the outside lane to go straight ahead you have to assess the situation and make a decision QUICK there's summat coming hand up sorry

As car drivers create a wealth of revenue for the country as a whole, little will be done to combat numbers on the roads.

The only way forward would be to create more revenue, maybe through driving tests every ten years with bigger fines and higher taxes and insurance.

What is it about emergency vehicles and people pulling up in stupid places?

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I tend to keep driving at the speed limit when I have an emergency vehicle behind me until there's a clear/safe run of road and then I indicate to pull over and let it past. Pulling up on a tight bend I would consider dangerous and likely to slow an emergency vehicle down.

Is there a written rule on this?

You are correct. If an emergency vehicle is behind you on a single carriageway you would use the overtaking rule 168 of the highway code.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314

The amount of times some moron cuts me up at the roundabout on the bottom of Hanoverway /moor st . They get into the right hand lane to jump the queue then speed off to overtake and get to the exit before me .I have been traveling this route for 12 yrs so keep a very close eye ,but for someone new to driving it can be a nerve racking experience .