20 years ago today.

sccman - Add to your fine post how Sky monopolised the Premier League, making you pay a vulgar amount of money to watch the games and then asking you to pay again to watch certain other games.

Average, home-grown talent (not my choice of words) bought and sold for tens of millions (Carol, Rooney - better than Iniesta?), all paid for via your Sky subscriptions. Soulless new stadia, all-seater, no atmosphere, bland.

Same three or four teams spending billions to win the League - foreign investment, foreign players and coaches desperate to win what is deemed an English football league.

And the spoilt, overpaid brats rolling on the grass, surrounding referees with twisted, distorted faces whose mouths emit a tirade of vile abuse.

Every Goal Matters screams Sky's latest advertising campaign. Every Subscription Matters, more like.

Let's not call it sport.

I'll be on win, lose or draw, just hope it's an enjoyable first day back in the Championship which I'm sure it will be, as many say on here, it's not just about the game, it's the whole day :)

R8 looking forward to it nah :)

Good on yer, will look forward to Saturday:)

sccman and ouestunes, pretty much spot on with those comments.

A very special moment in English football history, Deano's goal (and the first team to beat the team that went onto be Champions, and dominate the next 20 years!).

As far as Sky though, their influence in changing the game has been mostly for the worse, particularly the rise in wages.... and now they're upping the price of Sky Sports another £3.25 a month from October (at least to Virgin customers anyway) - about time to get rid of it again I think... it's not like the blades will be on very often anyway!

20 years ago today the ROT set in - The invention of the premier league is what has killed many a club, in this Country, THATS who I blame - the 23 chairman that voted to sell the soul of football to Murdock, and we all know how straight down the line that man is.

No club other than Man u. Man City(until the shiekh gets tired and bankrupts them) Chelsea (replace russian for Shiekh) and maybe Arsenal, liverpool but both these cannot now compete in the TM with the other 3 (RVP shows that) no body else will ever get near a Premiership Winners Trophy in the next 20 years.

The prize of reaching the boring premiership is too great and the 4 years parachute payment is far too much, if you go down you suffer and players leave you should not be able to rely on TV money when you are not even in the same division- suffer the consequences of relagation like the old days,

Also bring back the excitement of a relegation play off, let the 4th bottom team enter the play offs, with the teams trying to get up?

sccman - Add to your fine post how Sky monopolised the Premier League, making you pay a vulgar amount of money to watch the games and then asking you to pay again to watch certain other games.

Average, home-grown talent (not my choice of words) bought and sold for tens of millions (Carol, Rooney - better than Iniesta?), all paid for via your Sky subscriptions. Soulless new stadia, all-seater, no atmosphere, bland.

Same three or four teams spending billions to win the League - foreign investment, foreign players and coaches desperate to win what is deemed an English football league.

And the spoilt, overpaid brats rolling on the grass, surrounding referees with twisted, distorted faces whose mouths emit a tirade of vile abuse.

Every Goal Matters screams Sky's latest advertising campaign. Every Subscription Matters, more like.

Let's not call it sport.

Couldn't agree more with these 2 posts, football is being ruined by greed

I'll be on win, lose or draw, just hope it's an enjoyable first day back in the Championship which I'm sure it will be, as many say on here, it's not just about the game, it's the whole day :)

R8 looking forward to it nah :)

Wish I was going, just have to be there in spirit:(

Wish I was going, just have to be there in spirit:(

I'll give em a cheer for you m8 UTO :)

Twas a day to remember on the Sheffield footballing calendar.

If the Prem had started a week earlier, or a week later, it could possibly have been A. Nuther who scored the first ever Premiership goal for Aston Villa.

Yep, and if me aunty had balls, she'd have been me uncle

Tickled me that 1..:hihi::hihi: