Blackpool bans smoking in parks, should Sheffield follow?

should smoking be banned in sheffields parks  

108 members have voted

1. 1. should smoking be banned in sheffields parks

Lower emissions from individual cars but a lot more cars equal higher emissions floating round in the atmosphere.

But they don't allow cars to drive around poluting the parks either.

Pub gardens in the nice weather are a place to be avoided now due to inconsiderate outdoor smokers.

Please tell me you are kidding (not sure how to interpret your post), they are banned from inside its the only bleeding place they can smoke, they should not be banned from smoking in parks its an open area, in a kiddies playground area that's different.

As a non-smoker who HATES people smoking near me, I'd still have to say that it shouldn't be banned in parks. They're open spaces so as long as people have some common sense it should be ok. That said, I do think that smoking ought to be banned in the playground areas because children's healths are at risk and how do you tell a child that we're leaving because x person is inconsiderate and smokes inside the playground?

Also, never mind smoking in a way... stop people having cannabis! In Hillsborough park I've recently noticed that there are people (sorry, this time it was teenagers though not all are like this) smoking cannabis openly, sometimes in the play areas. I don't think that's right.

As a non-smoker who HATES people smoking near me, I'd still have to say that it shouldn't be banned in parks.

Same here. Like I said right at the start, Wirral adopted it for play areas only and that was fine and accepted by everyone.

I don't know why Blackpool has to go further when parks are such a large open space.

Blackpool is a depressing and stinking blot on the landscape with far more serious issues to tackle.

Very true but they have some lovely parks ( not that most people would see them as the don’t stray from the Prom ), why shouldn’t they ban smoking …. if people don’t like the rules they don’t have to go in the park.

Why do smokers think that they are above skateboarders and cyclists or anyone else that is banned from the park?

While we are having a :rant: , whenever I take my dog out I go prepared with poop bags …… when will we see signs like this for smokers “ pick up or pay up”

Edited by Grandad.Malky

While we are having a :rant: , whenever I take my dog out I go prepared with poop bags …… when will we see signs like this for smokers “ pick up or pay up”

Well done then! Dogs are a blight on our parks I'm afraid... mostly because of inconsiderate owners who don't pick up and let them run riot. Having a toddler now has made me aware of how many times people let them run about and bother other people without thinking that these people may be scared of dogs! My child is now petrified after a dog jumped on him. Also, another dog ate our picnic when I was out with him as a baby (only 5 months old). I had to pick him up because I didn't know if the dog was coming for him... the owner allowed the dog to do this twice!

I say, forget smokers, ban dogs (or inconsiderate dog owners I should say!)

Very true but they have some lovely parks ( not that most people would see them as the don’t stray from the Prom ), why shouldn’t they ban smoking …. if people don’t like the rules they don’t have to go in the park.

Why do smokers think that they are above skateboarders and cyclists or anyone else that is banned from the park?

Smoking is already banned from many parks and beaches in the USA, and the Irish are introducing a ban on their beaches and in public parks. The idea is not to protect people from secondhand smoke. It is to de-normalise smoking. If children think smoking is a normal activity they copy it and become addicted. This is the way the world is moving. I expect we will follow suit and introduce ever more Draconian restrictions on where smoking is allowed so that children do not regard it as something normal people do.

Wonderful things those park railings if they maintain a pollutant free atmosphere.

some do have car parks on the park grounds but the amount of pollution will be minimal.

Children should keep away from smokers and pubs.

Children should keep away from smokers and pubs.

Thats the idea behind banning smoking in parks.Pubs is another question.