Advice needed regarding aggressive dog since been spayed

The fact that she would have been due in season has no bearing on this at all. The hormones left the blood stream long ago - the bitch cannot be affected by these as she no longer has them.

I'm glad to see that you are considering professional help and hope that this can be sorted. Good luck.

Edited by ccit

The fact that she would have been due in season has no bearing on this at all. The hormones left the blood stream long ago - the bitch cannot be affected by these as she no longer has them.

I'm glad to see that you are considering professional help and hope that this can be sorted. Good luck.

Thanks love, and confusedmum - if you dont have any input that actually helps dont bother commenting.

its not stupid it could kill youre son then you will have good as killed him to. its only a dog get it put down

and here comes another clued up animal person - not!

I was told a long time ago that it can take up to 3 mths for their hormonal balance to settle back down & this was by my vet ? I also had a bitch that still behaved as though in season even though she had been spayed ?:huh:

I was told a long time ago that it can take up to 3 mths for their hormonal balance to settle back down & this was by my vet ? I also had a bitch that still behaved as though in season even though she had been spayed ?:huh:

This can happen when they accidentally leave a bit of the tissue behind but it doesn't happen a lot though, must be awful when it does.

I reckon that this dog is just becoming mature, flexing her muscles a bit and trying it on.

Put into Google nothing in life is free, it is a really good way of establishing a good pack order in a kind way there should be lots that you can do, a behaviorist would also be good if you really feel that it has become necessary...the dog doesn't need putting to sleep she just needs to learn some boundaries.

It's only a dog? Wow,Rachel seek a behaviourist Hun end of day your children do come first but I know you would want her to get help :) u love herxxx

I have sarah , she was fantastic and he says maybe she was just having an off day?! :confused: Anyway shes been fine since so who knows

Hi there omg how can someone on this site say put the dog down without knowing anything the people on this site make me sick with such stupid comments firstly take your dog to the vets to see if there is any medical problem get them to do blood tests if that comes back clear then seek the help of a behaviourist i could help you if you want i am coming of this forum as there are to many stupid idiots making to many crazy comments many thanks from Steve rant over for now

sounds to me like she is suffering from hormonal mix up , was she spayed mid cycle ? .If so put that together with the fact she may have been due to come in season now ish , her mind wont understand whats going on , I could be entirely wrong ,but it could be a possible cause .My american bulldog went through something similar when she was around the same age . Please be careful with her & try to keep the kids away until she settles down , believe me when a a/b means to bite it hurts ( i have been there) so be careful.

I had an experience of something like this with our greyhound, Sarah. Settled in and very well behaved for weeks. She was spayed before she came home. Then, she was suddenly destructive; ate her leather lead and chomped up a plastic muzzle. We couldn't work out what was wrong and then realised that her next season would have been due. She stopped the behaviour almost as suddenly as she started and it never occurred again. RIP lovely Sarah, you were a darling after that.

On 14/08/2012 at 09:22, Evei said:

Something has upset her. Is she is any pain that you can notice?

I would go back to basics is she is getting grumpy. Same strict rules and routine, by strict I mean that everyone in the family follows them not that you have to take away comforts. I do think dogs go through a 'teenage' bit between the ages of 1-3 years old.

Maybe spend some time training throughout the day, just sticking to basics things that she can do and be rewarded for and then get the kids to do it with her? Make sure she has her own space that she can go freely to if she has had enough.

Have you thought about getting a trainer in? The things I have said need to be explained in more detail and some very simple things can really help. It is a good idea to get it sorted as she is giving you lots of warnings to say she is unhappy.

On 14/08/2012 at 09:01, bobgirlsnake said:

I had my dog spayed in march and since then shes started been aggressive , she growls at my youngest son (5) and the cats when ever any of them go in to the same room as her. shes fine with my other son (7) and our puppy.

It has been just growling but today my son (5) has gone to stroke her and she's bit him, shes not broken the skin but you can see a mark. Its obviously upset my son.

I dont know what i can do to get her back to her self.

:help::help::help:

Hello,

I also would like an answer. My little girl fear based aggressive after being spayed with strangers wearing backpacks for example, other dogs than our older dog and my friends dog. This all happened after she healed and we went back to off lease parks. I have had people comment I was mean to get her spayed, use meds to drug her up ..... I have tried reactive dog training, it kind of helped, the vet did not think it was possible from being spayed. I researched online about hormonal treatments may work? So PLEASE help us!

Abbeyster - what breed and age is the dog? It's doubtful that speying has caused this aggression. You say  that you have "tried reactive dog training and it kind of helped." Is the reason that it stopped helping is because you gave up on the advice or were not consistent? 

Consider seeing the behaviourist again for advice.  The fear aggression could be ingrained now and you might need to concentrate on how to manage it rather than how to cure her of it.  For safety and to comply with the law you should keep your dog on a lead in public places. 

Edited by ccit

On 14/08/2012 at 11:01, bobgirlsnake said:

I had my dog spayed in march and since then shes started been aggressive , she growls at my youngest son (5) and the cats when ever any of them go in to the same room as her. shes fine with my other son (7) and our puppy.

It has been just growling but today my son (5) has gone to stroke her and she's bit him, shes not broken the skin but you can see a mark. Its obviously upset my son.

I dont know what i can do to get her back to her self.

:help::help::help:

Hello,

I am wondering if you've come to any resolution with your dog. Our 2 and a half year old beagle got spayed just 2 weeks after adopting her and her personality flipped quickly after to anxious, unpredictably aggressive behavior. Same deal - petting with tail wagging that unpredictably leads to getting nipped.  It's been 5 months for us with many trips to the vet trying to figure it out. We've ruled out ovarian remnants.