Advice needed regarding aggressive dog since been spayed

I had my dog spayed in march and since then shes started been aggressive , she growls at my youngest son (5) and the cats when ever any of them go in to the same room as her. shes fine with my other son (7) and our puppy.

It has been just growling but today my son (5) has gone to stroke her and she's bit him, shes not broken the skin but you can see a mark. Its obviously upset my son.

I dont know what i can do to get her back to her self.

:help::help::help:

Something has upset her. Is she is any pain that you can notice?

I would go back to basics is she is getting grumpy. Same strict rules and routine, by strict I mean that everyone in the family follows them not that you have to take away comforts. I do think dogs go through a 'teenage' bit between the ages of 1-3 years old.

Maybe spend some time training throughout the day, just sticking to basics things that she can do and be rewarded for and then get the kids to do it with her? Make sure she has her own space that she can go freely to if she has had enough.

Have you thought about getting a trainer in? The things I have said need to be explained in more detail and some very simple things can really help. It is a good idea to get it sorted as she is giving you lots of warnings to say she is unhappy.

Shes in no pain that i can tell of she is a very loving dog but then goes to this growling dog, shes a little timid and always has been. she has her own space and my children know if she goes to lay down to leave her alone.

shes 2 1/2 so could just been her "teenage" years like you said. it just seems to have come on since been spayed. i want to do everything possible to get her back to her normal self.

I would doubt whether this has anything to do with her being speyed or due to age. The growling is the dog trying to tell you that she is not happy - a warning in fact. As she has tried to bite your child I would strongly advise you to see a vet for a check up and a good dog behaviourist. It could be far worse next time.

Meanwhile, it might be safest to keep the child away from the dog and vice versa.

Edited by ccit

Get it put down if its bitten already it will do it again and could be a lot worse next it.

sounds to me like she is suffering from hormonal mix up , was she spayed mid cycle ? .If so put that together with the fact she may have been due to come in season now ish , her mind wont understand whats going on , I could be entirely wrong ,but it could be a possible cause .My american bulldog went through something similar when she was around the same age . Please be careful with her & try to keep the kids away until she settles down , believe me when a a/b means to bite it hurts ( i have been there) so be careful.

Get it put down if its bitten already it will do it again and could be a lot worse next it.

What utter ******** dogs don't bite for the fun of it there will be a reason and tbh this doesn't sound like a bite more of a nip

It is not unusual for bitches to become 'touchy' for a few weeks after speying due to the sudden drop in hormones. This can happen even if they were operated on at the correct time of their cycle. Within two to four weeks they are usually fine. However, this one was speyed in March which is five months ago so I really can't see that it has any bearing on the situation.

It is not really something that any of us can help with. Remember that the OP states that the child was only stroking the dog - not teasing her or taking food away. When a dog has bitten, tried to bite (or nipped) even once it could lead to more serious injury at a later date. This is potentially a risky situation and the OP needs to seek professional help ASAP in order to ascertain what is going on.

Edited by ccit

WHAT?!!?!?!!?! im not going to have my dog put down!! what a stupid comment.

sounds to me like she is suffering from hormonal mix up , was she spayed mid cycle ? .If so put that together with the fact she may have been due to come in season now ish , her mind wont understand whats going on , I could be entirely wrong ,but it could be a possible cause .My american bulldog went through something similar when she was around the same age . Please be careful with her & try to keep the kids away until she settles down , believe me when a a/b means to bite it hurts ( i have been there) so be careful.

Yes she was love and yes shes roughly due to be in season. i will be keeping them away from her for a while

It is not unusual for bitches to become 'touchy' for a few weeks after speying due to the sudden drop in hormones. This can happen even if they were operated on at the correct time of their cycle. Within two to four weeks they are usually fine. However, this one was speyed in March which is five months ago so I really can't see that it has any bearing on the situation.

It is not really something that any of us can help with. Remember that the OP states that the child was only stroking the dog - not teasing her or taking food away. When a dog has bitten, tried to bite (or nipped) even once it could lead to more serious injury at a later date. This is potentially a risky situation and the OP needs to seek professional help ASAP in order to ascertain what is going on.

He wasnt teasing her at all, i will be getting professional advice but i thought i would ask here too.

WHAT?!!?!?!!?! im not going to have my dog put down!! what a stupid comment.

its not stupid it could kill youre son then you will have good as killed him to. its only a dog get it put down