Council launches 'fundamental review' of Sheffield's libraries

So you think that we should attempt to "make' people, i.e. bankers volunteer then, rather than accepting that they wont??

Sounds like a good idea to me!!

Though like I said they don't have to volunteer. For example if they could manage to scrape by on say half a million or a million a year then that would make all the difference.

Sounds like a good idea to me!!

Though like I said they don't have to volunteer. For example if they could manage to scrape by on say half a million or a million a year then that would make all the difference.

Ok, so whats the first step? .To make them volunteer.

I imagine that you have no answer for this one, but please lets hear what your ideas are so that we can pass them on to our MPs and see what they can do.

Ok, so whats the first step? .To make them volunteer.

I imagine that you have no answer for this one, but please lets hear what your ideas are so that we can pass them on to our MPs and see what they can do.

Easy. Very easy. You put a cap on top level earnings (by which I mean Top level earnings) and redistribute it. It really is that simple. Of course what determines top level earnings and where the excess billions is redistributed is open to discussion, but to my mind it is a better discussion then which library/school/hospital should be closed or which cancer patient treated.

Easy. Very easy. You put a cap on top level earnings (by which I mean Top level earnings) and redistribute it. It really is that simple. Of course what determines top level earnings and where the excess billions is redistributed is open to discussion, but to my mind it is a better discussion then which library/school/hospital should be closed or which cancer patient treated.

So can I just get this straight. You think that we should cap executive pay say of the top 100 FTSE Companies (as an example) and then ask those privately owned Companies to contribute to the running of our libraries here in Sheffield???:huh:

So can I just get this straight. You think that we should cap executive pay say of the top 100 FTSE Companies (as an example) and then ask those privately owned Companies to contribute to the running of our libraries here in Sheffield???:huh:

Yes and then no. You raise billions with the cap and then the government distributes the excess billions. That's how taxation normally works isn't it?

If their salaries are capped, how would you know how much they would have got without the cap in order to redistribute it? If there's a cap, then they won't earn anything above it, which negates the argument for redistributing high incomes (which they won't have) :huh:

If their salaries are capped, how would you know how much they would have got without the cap in order to redistribute it? If there's a cap, then they won't earn anything above it, which negates the argument for redistributing high incomes (which they won't have) :huh:

What?:huh: I thought what I wrote was pretty clear. Example: Instead of paying one person £10 million pay one person £1 million (only) = £9 million saving.

i believe they will close as many as possible put them up for sale those in favered areas

will stay and the rest will be sold another labour mess trust me thank you bassett one

What?:huh: I thought what I wrote was pretty clear. Example: Instead of paying one person £10 million pay one person £1 million (only) = £9 million saving.

But that one person couldn't earn £10m with a cap in place.

Why don't the council make cuts in pay and pensions for their staff?

They have already done so

But that one person couldn't earn £10m with a cap in place.

No, obviously, but you are capping current earnings. Alternatively you add another higher level tax band, whatever. The point is you redistribute some of the wealth of the 0.001% instead of metaphorically raping the rest of the country by shutting libraries/schools/hospitals (or privatising them to death) getting people to work for free or having to decide which patient gets the life saving operation. To me it is a pretty clear alternative.

But its not so much a survey as someone has already pointed out, the questions are loaded so much as to give only one outcome. Have a look yourself and see what they are asking.

The same happened to the recycling survey and the one about what services would you like to keep. The first survey about having an elected mayor was basically buried at the back of a Sheffield homes publication and was hailed a success despite hardly anyone replying to it.

SCC have shown time and time again that they are not that much into democracy, we would have a much better city if it was.

I know, it's more or less asking "Which do you think is most important - books, buildings or staff" and by selecting one, you imply the others are unimportant. "Which would you prefer, plenty of books or decent opening hours"? Oh, well, I'd like lots of books, but it's fine if you only open when everyone's at work, so we can't get in to borrow the books anyway.....

"Where would you like to be - next to the rock, or near the hard place"?

The volunteers thing is puzzling me though. Are they now saying that anyone can work in a library? If so, why for so many years has it been impossible to get a job in a library without being massively quaified? Which is it?