Council launches 'fundamental review' of Sheffield's libraries

Believe it or not there are many many people who actually love volunteering and want to do it for many reasons. Not everything is about money in this world , though I know that many people think it is. The library already has many people volunteering.It could be that some branches may have already had to close had they not had those people.

The facts are that there seems to be not enough money ( or so Labour tells us) to run all the libraries that we currently have so something has to go or money has to come from somewhere.

I am often astounded by the many people who belittle others ideas to save money but dont ever seem able to come up with constructive arguments as to how something is actually going to work.The Labour Council are offering a survey so that people can have their say. That is after all what democracy is about isnt it.

Democracy? You think we live in a democracy? Ha, ha, not a chance. I'm sure there are many people who love volunteering, I know that my wife has volunteered for the last three years in a school, very rewarding I'm sure. I'm sure the slaves had a good time in America - same thing, different propaganda.

I gave constructive criticism when I filled out the poll - which I'm sure is destined for the recycle bin if it is not full. I suggested that they look to the 0.001% of multi millionaire/billionaires who caused this mess and who screw us over regularly without a thanks. Hey, maybe they could volunteer? That would save millions and then our kids could have books to read. Wow!

The Labour Council are offering a survey so that people can have their say. That is after all what democracy is about isnt it.

But its not so much a survey as someone has already pointed out, the questions are loaded so much as to give only one outcome. Have a look yourself and see what they are asking.

The same happened to the recycling survey and the one about what services would you like to keep. The first survey about having an elected mayor was basically buried at the back of a Sheffield homes publication and was hailed a success despite hardly anyone replying to it.

SCC have shown time and time again that they are not that much into democracy, we would have a much better city if it was.

But its not so much a survey as someone has already pointed out, the questions are loaded so much as to give only one outcome. Have a look yourself and see what they are asking.

The same happened to the recycling survey and the one about what services would you like to keep. The first survey about having an elected mayor was basically buried at the back of a Sheffield homes publication and was hailed a success despite hardly anyone replying to it.

SCC have shown time and time again that they are not that much into democracy, we would have a much better city if it was.

My bold - I replied to that one. I said they should stop sending out pointless and costly surveys simply so councillors can off load any responsibility for making difficult decisions.

So don't let them introduce other services that would make them more viable, and don't allow volunteers to make it more viable and more likely to continue in existance. Sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it.

I don't know the library attendance or usage figures...but if in theory there was an ever dwindling number of library users...surely it makes sense for those service users to volunteer to keep the service running, if it means the difference between closure or remaining open. It would then be run for library users, by library users.

If you were so disheartened by the prospect of all these added services you don't want to see, you could volunteer and have a say in how it is run.

See previous post which answers these points I think, but just to add I don't believe in a slave society, call me strange, but I just think people deserve to be paid for their labour.

See previous post which answers these points I think, but just to add I don't believe in a slave society, call me strange, but I just think people deserve to be paid for their labour.

What's wrong with someone who wants to volunteer their time for nothing? I used to coach at a local rugby club for nothing..should I have demanded payment?

What's wrong with someone who wants to volunteer their time for nothing? I used to coach at a local rugby club for nothing..should I have demanded payment?

You should do what you are comfortable with, after all this is a democracy, ha, ha...

I am awestruck at just how quickly Cameron's Big Slave Society has kicked in, awestruck. When China hosted the Olympic games the UK government criticised the fact that many Chinese workers were getting low wages for the work they did. Fast forward four years. Put out some vibe about 'once in a lifetime...experience' etc, etc and people flock to work for free, brilliant. I wonder if China will put in a human rights complaint? In other words, want, is easily manufactured. But this will be the future yes. 'Volunteers' in all segments of society while the elite few continue to make millions and millions. Unbelievable. Someone is laughing very hard.

You should do what you are comfortable with, after all this is a democracy, ha, ha...

I am awestruck at just how quickly Cameron's Big Slave Society has kicked in, awestruck. When China hosted the Olympic games the UK government criticised the fact that many Chinese workers were getting low wages for the work they did. Fast forward four years. Put out some vibe about 'once in a lifetime...experience' etc, etc and people flock to work for free, brilliant. I wonder if China will put in a human rights complaint? In other words, want, is easily manufactured. But this will be the future yes. 'Volunteers' in all segments of society while the elite few continue to make millions and millions. Unbelievable. Someone is laughing very hard.

You seem a tad bitter.

Maybe Sheffield has always had its big society, way before Cameron thought that he had thought it up. There are many small and medium( and large )Companies who depend on their volunteers and have done for years.

I am a member of the National Trust who have an army of them. People who enjoy work, sharing their knowledge for the benefit of others without having the restrictions that one would have as an employee.

You seem a tad bitter.

Maybe Sheffield has always had its big society, way before Cameron thought that he had thought it up. There are many small and medium( and large )Companies who depend on their volunteers and have done for years.

I am a member of the National Trust who have an army of them. People who enjoy work, sharing their knowledge for the benefit of others without having the restrictions that one would have as an employee.

Tad bitter yes. I'm also amazed at how gullible some people can be. Like I said before though it is a shame that bankers and other top criminals don't share the volunteer ethic, just one of them doing so could mean no library closures for the entire country! (Of course they wouldn't have to volunteer, merely reducing their 'wages' to half a million or so a year would have the same effect.)

Tad bitter yes. I'm also amazed at how gullible some people can be. Like I said before though it is a shame that bankers and other top criminals don't share the volunteer ethic, just one of them doing so could mean no library closures for the entire country! (Of course they wouldn't have to volunteer, merely reducing their 'wages' to half a million or so a year would have the same effect.)

Well yes but both you and I know that the chances of that are happening are rather remote so no point getting frustrated about it IMO.

I don't think there is anything wrong with volunteers but I do think it's wrong to make people redundant and replace them with volunteers.

Well yes but both you and I know that the chances of that are happening are rather remote so no point getting frustrated about it IMO.

Yes you are correct. There is no way that is going to happen because as a populous we are far too compliant and accepting in what happens to us. However, let us remember that the constant 'cut propaganda' is just that, let's stop with all of this 'there is no other way' business and putting pharmacies in libraries to make them 'cost effect' nonsense.

I don't think there is anything wrong with volunteers but I do think it's wrong to make people redundant and replace them with volunteers.

It amounts to the same thing in the end.

Yes you are correct. There is no way that is going to happen because as a populous we are far too compliant and accepting in what happens to us. However, let us remember that the constant 'cut propaganda' is just that, let's stop with all of this 'there is no other way' business.

It amounts to the same thing in the end.

So you think that we should attempt to "make' people, i.e. bankers volunteer then, rather than accepting that they wont??