Council launches 'fundamental review' of Sheffield's libraries

Yesterday morning on Radio Sheffield Jack Scott I think it was, was saying we have to cut the bin collections to save money. He said if they didn't then there would have to be cuts in things such as libraries and care. I know it is the Government that is forcing councils to make cuts but at least tell us the truth, the way it sounded to me yesterday was that other services were going to be safe but obviously not.

I think you might find that a lot of what is said isn't the truth.

You mean the cuts that our Labour council are making?

Thank You for pointing that out.

Personally I agree, but libraries have no doubt been forced to do so to improve 'footfall' or other 'revenue streams' or some such nonsense as that.

I don't know how they could improve revenue by lending free things and allowing free use of computers. Although I can't remember if there is a small charge for renting DVDs/CDs/games etc. I think there may be.

The last time i went to my local library the lady said my card had expired due to me not using it for a long time ,to get a new one would involve taking in id.utility bill, photo etc forget it. thats another customer they have lost.With the internet who needs them, google is my library always open .

I think this is the biggest issue facing libraries. If they still had the same footfall as they did maybe 20 years ago, they could probably make a good business case for any funding. As it is, volume of customers are likely to only go downwards with people accessing content online.

Edited by mj.scuba

I've done the survey online.

I think they need to incorporate other services within libraries to make them more effective economically. If there isnt enough money then we have to find ways of bringing in money and by law they cant charge for books so they have to find other ways of making it work. This will involve either cutting back on the wage bill by using more volunteers or getting commercial ventures involved. Its not rocket science.

I've done the survey online.

I think they need to incorporate other services within libraries to make them more effective economically. If there isnt enough money then we have to find ways of bringing in money and by law they cant charge for books so they have to find other ways of making it work. This will involve either cutting back on the wage bill by using more volunteers or getting commercial ventures involved. Its not rocket science.

I totally disagree with just about all of that. I think too many people are happy to swallow loaded questions regarding cuts and getting ready to accept another total shafting. The main priority of libraries should be to stock books, especially children's books and to encourage reading and literacy. On top of that it's fine to stock a few DVDs/CDs, have computers run small social events etc, etc but the main focus should be on books.

Volunteers. I want to know why it has suddenly because socially acceptable for people to have to work for free? What is this about? I'm not a librarian but someone has trained, even studied hard for that job; they are skilled people, what an insult. Same with the Olympic volunteers, border control, teaching assistants, police volunteers etc, etc, what a wonderful thing government manipulation is. Do this in China and it is against human rights; do this in the UK and it is streamlining social services or some other claptrap. Complete joke. Or maybe this is just what Cameron's Big Slave Society is all about?

I totally disagree with just about all of that. I think too many people are happy to swallow loaded questions regarding cuts and getting ready to accept another total shafting. The main priority of libraries should be to stock books, especially children's books and to encourage reading and literacy. On top of that it's fine to stock a few DVDs/CDs, have computers run small social events etc, etc but the main focus should be on books.

I agree completely. Adding extra 'services' to make money would be a good way to stop me using the library.

I agree completely. Adding extra 'services' to make money would be a good way to stop me using the library.

I'm sure the poll suggested putting things in like a pharmacy and things like that, what a total joke.

Edit: Why not go one further and show mobile phone adverts every 5 minutes and so on?

I don't like what this country is steadily becoming.

Edited by Benedictine

Surely if it keeps the library open its a good thing?

It sounds like you are saying 'i dont like change', unfortunately change is the one thing that is guaranteed.

Believe it or not there are many many people who actually love volunteering and want to do it for many reasons. Not everything is about money in this world , though I know that many people think it is. The library already has many people volunteering.It could be that some branches may have already had to close had they not had those people.

The facts are that there seems to be not enough money ( or so Labour tells us) to run all the libraries that we currently have so something has to go or money has to come from somewhere.

I am often astounded by the many people who belittle others ideas to save money but dont ever seem able to come up with constructive arguments as to how something is actually going to work.The Labour Council are offering a survey so that people can have their say. That is after all what democracy is about isnt it.

Volunteers. I want to know why it has suddenly because socially acceptable for people to have to work for free? What is this about? I'm not a librarian but someone has trained, even studied hard for that job; they are skilled people, what an insult. Same with the Olympic volunteers, border control, teaching assistants, police volunteers etc, etc, what a wonderful thing government manipulation is. Do this in China and it is against human rights; do this in the UK and it is streamlining social services or some other claptrap. Complete joke. Or maybe this is just what Cameron's Big Slave Society is all about?

So don't let them introduce other services that would make them more viable, and don't allow volunteers to make it more viable and more likely to continue in existance. Sounds like you're trying to have your cake and eat it.

I don't know the library attendance or usage figures...but if in theory there was an ever dwindling number of library users...surely it makes sense for those service users to volunteer to keep the service running, if it means the difference between closure or remaining open. It would then be run for library users, by library users.

If you were so disheartened by the prospect of all these added services you don't want to see, you could volunteer and have a say in how it is run.

Edited by mj.scuba