Council launches 'fundamental review' of Sheffield's libraries

Can't say I'm surprised. Where I grew up, there was only ever 1 librarian in the 1 and only library in the town. It's now staffed by volunteers. Although it's sad, if libraries are understilised as I think many of them are, it seems sensibile to rationalise the services. For instance, Walkley library is pretty close to Hillsborough library.

Damn these Labour politicians and their greedy cuts.

Despite more than a year of background work ahead of the consultation, council officers were reluctant to release figures on which are the best and worst performing libraries in the city in terms of footfall and usage.

Wonder why? Surely those most in need of the services that libraries provide will be in poorer areas where households can't afford internet access or books and yet are thirsty for the knowledge and education that can be gained from their shelves.

somebody at the council needs to understand what a library IS in this day and age

eg - there are plenty of people who will not enroll on a computer course, but will be happy to go to the local library to be shown how to send an email or how to follow their grandkids growing up in Australia via Facebook. Official courses (if those people DID choose another route) would cost one heck of a lot more

Library cibrary.

Times change, but there is still a vital need for physical libraries, to host both libraries and cibraries!

I miss the old bicycle racks at Manor library. Two sets of grooves set in stone. You used to be able to nip in and out very quickly and say a quick hello. Now you have to faff about and more often than not use a machine to check a book out.

I've not used the library for years. Not since the Labour Loonies of the '80s insisted that libraries stocked left wing claptrap instead of the books that people, especially the elderly, wanted to read. As a result they stopped using the library. Money should be spent on books and the internet not on videos, films, dvds etc. But the truth is that this useless Labour council are deliberately cutting these type of services so they can blame the "Nasty Tory Cuts"

Edited by cytine

'...best and worst performing libraries in the city in terms of footfall and usage.'

What a load of crap; judging libraries in terms of footfall, what are they McDonald's?

'...Also, a survey will be dished out to residents encouraging them to have their say about how libraries will be used in future. The survey will be available online too.,

= So we can make you feel that you have had your say to make you feel better, but then we will do whatever we want and throw in some crap about cuts and you will be so thick that you will buy it.

Coun Iqbal said: “I would like to be clear and say this review is not about closing libraries.

“We’re reshaping our service and the starting point is not closure, however we cannot rule it out.”

In other words closure.

A public consultation is to be held over the next eight weeks to ask Sheffield people how they want their library services to be shaped in the future.

= So we can make you feel that you have had your say to make you feel better, but then we will do whatever we want...

Etc, etc.

So it's the Sheffield's libraries turn for a raping is it? When will people stand against this crap?

I've not used the library for years. Not since the Labour Loonies of the '80s insisted that libraries stocked left wing claptrap instead of the books that people, especially the elderly, wanted to read. As a result they stopped using the library. Money should be spent on books and the internet not on videos, films, dvds etc. But the truth is that this useless Labour council are deliberately cutting these type of services so they can blame the "Nasty Tory Cuts"

Though the budget comes direct from central government and therefore you beloved Tories. And honestly not using the libraries because of 'left wing clap trap' seriously what is that about? Weird.

Edited by Benedictine

:loopy: Last time I was in a library there were loads of Agatha Christie novels, loads of Terry Pratchetts, loads of Ruth Rendells, loads of....well, books. Non of which automatically scream "left wing claptrap" at me.

I think your fevered imagination and rabid right-wing, frothing at the mouth tendencies are clearly clouding your judgement

Edited by taxman

Yesterday morning on Radio Sheffield Jack Scott I think it was, was saying we have to cut the bin collections to save money. He said if they didn't then there would have to be cuts in things such as libraries and care. I know it is the Government that is forcing councils to make cuts but at least tell us the truth, the way it sounded to me yesterday was that other services were going to be safe but obviously not.

Yesterday morning on Radio Sheffield Jack Scott I think it was, was saying we have to cut the bin collections to save money

On the bin thread someone asked why the council hadn't taken up the governments offer of money to retain weekly collections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jul/06/council-cash-weekly-bin-collection

The Labour council in Stoke on Trent was the only one to bid for money to return from fortnightly to weekly rubbish pick-ups

Yesterday morning on Radio Sheffield Jack Scott I think it was, was saying we have to cut the bin collections to save money. He said if they didn't then there would have to be cuts in things such as libraries and care. I know it is the Government that is forcing councils to make cuts but at least tell us the truth, the way it sounded to me yesterday was that other services were going to be safe but obviously not.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. The Council has been clearly saying that there are to be at least 3 years of swingeing cuts. Social Services is protected to a certain degree but even they have been slashing services by 5% and staffing by 10% this and next year. (This is on top of last years cuts) Other services wont be so lucky and "luxuries" like parks, museums, libraries, sports facilities will be closed or sold off.

I'm just guessing, but you think 9/11 was an inside job, don't you?