Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

If it was a turbo engined car and not a naturally aspirated engine, if there was a catastrophic turbo failure, then that could explain the empty sump, turbo sucks oil instead of clean air, result - empy sump in a matter of seconds.

Angel.

If it was a turbo engined car and not a naturally aspirated engine, if there was a catastrophic turbo failure, then that could explain the empty sump, turbo sucks oil instead of clean air, result - empy sump in a matter of seconds.

Angel.

thats why i said it might be turbo, turbo failure will not cause oil in coolant. blown head gasket will not empty sump. something doesnt add up

Doubtful it's a Turbo failure, I've not even seen if the OP said it was a Turbo engine (7 pages is a lot though).

Head gasket failure will usually lead to water in the oil, hence the mayo under the oil cap. The signs would be there, such as white smoke etc.

More than likely, it's the oil cooler that's packed up. Mine did on my last car and dumped oil into coolant reservoir. 3 garages all told me the Turbo had gone! Even though the car still flew like cat poo off a shovel.

Ignore people who say spending 6 hours is crazy. There's a whole world of difference between cleaning a car and a valet.

Don't fret so much mate, it can't be helped, these things happen.

Why are so many arm chair mechanics trying to diagnose the fault, he dosnt even have the car now and is unlikely to recontact them.

2 days later or 2 years stuff breaks at random times, why must there be something more sinister at work? Because he gave it a good clean has nothing to do with it mechanically.

The op is my partner, we both agree something doesnt add up but its not from us its what the buyer has said. It had a new turbo fitted at 60k and had 72k on clock when it was sold. So yes it was the 20v turbo engine. Seat didnt have a problem looking round the car for him as they have always done all the work on it and the fact hes just spent over 20k there on his new one so i dont see what the point is there! Thank you everyone who has genuinly answered and not found something to pick at.

The problem here is that despite nearly everyone telling you that you're wrong, you remain convinced that you're not. Why is that do you think?

David Dunning or Justin Kruger may know the answer to that...

jb

Why has this post been allowed to continue ? The Op has their answer and now the thread has been 'Trolled' by the usual suspects, looking through their other posts... How much does a thread like this have to go way off track before the Admin or mods close it ffs ??? :rant:

Only ten posts and you know who all the usual suspects are and how the mods work? Curious :)

Admin please close this thread : The question has been answered by alot of helpful forum users but has now become a battle ground which was never intended.

Thanks for advise from the people who have contributed to my thread

think we can all agree enough is enough .....

So did you found out if the car has really broken down and what was wrong with it or did the new owner try a fast one on you

I know this a bit late but I have only just come across this site.When selling a car or bike always make out a receipt something like the following: Received from Joe Bloggs the sum of £xxxx,this being full payment for Rolls Canardly Reg No. ABC 123.This car is sold in the condition as seen tried and approved and without warranty.SIGNED---Seller

ACCEPTED Buyer. Do this on a carbon copy book or similar and have one copy each.

Alternatively give the buyer a receipt and then make him sign a note that he has purchased the car as seen tried and approved and without warranty.The seller keeps this note. If the buyer is not willing to do this I would not go ahead with the sale.

I had a simular thing happen, sold a car on ebay, guy came to look twice and happy with it, but rang 3 days after to say head gasket gone. I asked him to get some quotes and we did same, turned out could have been £500 plus to fix so offered him a full refund even though we werent aware of problem when sold, and we had sold it as seen. However we felt bad as he lived local and hubby went to school with him. We then re-listed the car on ebay but put on the listing that poss head gaslet problem, and a mechanic brought it for £100 less than it originally sold for so we were happy, plus he reckoned wasnt even head gasket after all that.