Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

A head gasket failure over 2 days , the oil cant disappear from sump. some yes but the lot no. if you dont know please google and stop pretending you know like obelix as you get found out sooner or later

I'm not pretending to know, I'm not a mechanic, not even a gifted amateur.

I do know however that you are making assumptions about the OP lying with no good reason for it. Yet you're taking a 3rd hand account from the person trying to get their money back as if it's gospel... Did you consider that they might have been exaggerating about the low level of the oil (or indeed that it's a scam as suggested by several posters)...

I'm not pretending to know, I'm not a mechanic, not even a gifted amateur.

I do know however that you are making assumptions about the OP lying with no good reason for it. Yet you're taking a 3rd hand account from the person trying to get their money back as if it's gospel... Did you consider that they might have been exaggerating about the low level of the oil (or indeed that it's a scam as suggested by several posters)...

Your wasting your time explaining anything to him.

He can't be wrong, even when proved so.

yeah that obelix guy is so stubbin and knows nothing apart from google

if it was the head gasket there would still have oil in tank as head gasket will not lose That much oil,

If it was the head gasket, it would still have oil in WHICH tank :huh:?

So you are telling me a blown head gasket can cause all the oil to be suck dry in 2 days?

Depending on the way the head gasket has blown, and depending on the mileage driven in those two days, OF COURSE it can!

In extreme cases it can even lose the oil in a matter of hours/minutes.

Do you know what dog pooo smells like?

Why do you continue to post on the car threads danny128? All you do is give crap advice and slag people off. You just make yourself look a tit that's all.

yeah that obelix guy is so stubbin and knows nothing apart from google

You do realise WalkeyLad was talking about you, right?

Secondhand cars sold by private vendors are sold as seen. That's all. It's up to the purchaser to check what the vehicle before they buy it.

Obviously false statements in the advert would be a different matter but if someone made a false statement verbally it would be hard to prove.

i dont think its the head gasket, sounds more like the turbos gone to me, i dont have enough detail to be sure

How has the oil got into the coolant header tank...?

just to clarify "the buyer" has said thats whats happened "oil in header tank" since the sale i have not seen the car as it was over 100 miles away, they looked under bonnet both times they viewed the car.

just to clarify "the buyer" has said thats whats happened "oil in header tank" since the sale i have not seen the car as it was over 100 miles away, they looked under bonnet both times they viewed the car.

Can you give the full list of symptoms of why they think there's something wrong with the car?

i got a call and he said cylinder heads gone, which i replied are you sure and he hung up... as this was bothering me i rang him back and he passed me onto someone who had diagnosed the problem (his dad) he said the car overheated after a long journey (100+ miles) and when he checked the car there was oil in the coolant reservoir and no oil in the engine. he mentioned no oil leaks so i don't know where 4ltrs of oil went to as it certainly had it when it left my drive, he even checked the dipstick when he looked under bonnet

and prior to the sale i had checked the oil myself and the coolant res and under the oil cap, all levels were fine and no milky substance anywhere (typical head gasket symptom)

i got a call and he said cylinder heads gone, which i replied are you sure and he hung up... as this was bothering me i rang him back and he passed me onto someone who had diagnosed the problem (his dad) he said the car overheated after a long journey (100+ miles) and when he checked the car there was oil in the coolant reservoir and no oil in the engine. he mentioned no oil leaks so i don't know where 4ltrs of oil went to as it certainly had it when it left my drive, he even checked the dipstick when he looked under bonnet

Has he actually asked for a refund or made any requests?