Sold a car in working order but 2 days later..

Can't the OP is still getting grief!

He sold a car in good faith, it broke down 2 days after, seller vents his anger hangs up and nothing heard of him again.

Buyer has NO comeback.

End of story.

hi everybody i sold a car last friday all went well the buyer kept to the original plan and agreed price after leaving a deposit the week before prior to actual sale. 2 days later (sunday) i get a call just saying cylinder heads gone and hang up..... after thinking alot i decided to call them back and find out more details the car drove fine on the first day as it always had for me, on the second day it had done a rather long trip (which it has done for me many of times) it overheated and a diy mechanic diagnosed it.

where do i legally stand?, it was a private sale, they saw the car twice before driving it home, it never gave me any hassle used any water or oil, log book has been sent, the car had loads of history showing any thing it ever needed it had done.

im generally a too kind person have they picked up on this and are they trying there luck?

it's a second hand car mate they dont have a leg to stand on tell them to bounce shame thing happened to me a few years ago. they bought the car some clown diy machanic had told them it was crap and after 4 days they tried it on for there money back.:D

Even ignoring the explanations about what a full valet includes, what has cleaning got to do with the running condition of a car?

From my experience, people who neglect the interior of their car also neglect the exterior and mechanicals.

I maintain my car impeccably and do a lot of preventative maintenance and a regular clean. When it came to sell I only had to give the interior plastics a wipe and a quick hoover, I didn't need a six hour valet.

It just seemed odd in my opinion and was just a remark for clarification, not an argument.

the car i sold was MY PRIDE AND JOY it had everything it ever needed NEVER failed a mot, it went to SEAT barnsley 2 days prior to sale to see if it needed anything and they said no everything is A1 and offered £1900 for it.

Go on proof me wrong by putting the invoice from barnsley seat up, they are not going to check it over for free as they love you

I worked in motor trade for nearly 7 years and not once when a car was valued did it go into a workshop to be "checked" no where is going to do that for free

Iv been on receiving end of buying a faulty motor privately as needed a cheap run around ASAP and that lasted a couple of days before having to be scrapped its not a good feeling and for someone to knowingly sell a faulty motor should be ashamed!

I worked in motor trade for nearly 7 years and not once when a car was valued did it go into a workshop to be "checked" no where is going to do that for free

Iv been on receiving end of buying a faulty motor privately as needed a cheap run around ASAP and that lasted a couple of days before having to be scrapped its not a good feeling and for someone to knowingly sell a faulty motor should be ashamed!

The guy is a con merchant

at what point did i say that they checked it free because they love me, ive just spent over 20k on a new cupra so checking my potential trade in wasnt too much bother to them, and why would i show some random idiot any of my invoices with my personal information ..... come on wake up. i asked a question which many helpful forum users answered or gave relevant comments, where as you have gone in without reading the subject fully and made yourself look like a plank of wood in the process, thanks to those who actually helped.

Edited by Miztasee

The guy is a con merchant

Do you know what slander means?

If you sold a working car, and two days later you had a call saying the engine had failed would you give them there money back? Knowing full well the car was fine when it left you? It does happen, and very rarely. I think calling the op a con man is a bit un fair.

Really OP, do you honestly expect any better from this forum than members soon beginning to turn on you and call you names and or a liar? Pretty much every thread ends this way.

You sold a car as seen, caveat emptor, sold is sold.

If they really think they have a case then they will take it up with a solicitor and you shall receive a summons in due course. Forget about it and move on.

Really OP, do you honestly expect any better from this forum than members soon beginning to turn on you and call you names and or a liar? Pretty much every thread ends this way.

You sold a car as seen, caveat emptor, sold is sold.

If they really think they have a case then they will take it up with a solicitor and you shall receive a summons in due course. Forget about it and move on.

It's only a tiny minority who have turned on the OP and one of them was danny128, do you think anyone ever listens to his posts? :hihi:

Do you know what slander means?

If you sold a working car, and two days later you had a call saying the engine had failed would you give them there money back? Knowing full well the car was fine when it left you? It does happen, and very rarely. I think calling the op a con man is a bit un fair.

thanks, seems some people do read and understand what i was asking.

If it was in such a superb condition, why did it need a six hour valet?

My car was almost mint.

Its that way because when i clean it i do it properly and could easily lose 6 hours of my day valeting just the inside.

If i was to do the outside too id be at least 9 or 10 hours before i was done.