Building a wall near a boundary

I have a friend who had the exact same scenario, what started it was my mates neighbour complaining to the council while my mate was having an extension built over petty things that even the council were not interested in.

They ended up falling out and a year later when my mates neighbour had a new garage built my mate built a boundry wall on his land exactly as your neighbour is doing and it prevented his neighbour from using his new garage.

Have you had a disagreement with your neighbour or is he/she just being an arse?

I would sit your neighbour down and explain your concerns to him/her and see if you can sort it out, if not tell him/her that you will be taking legal advise as you will not let a wall be built till you know exactly where the boundry is.

How is he going to stop him if he is a big agressive b------. I suspect its going to get nasty Finish up puting house up for sale normally happens . A friend of mine was also in a similar situation went to work one day when he came home when he came home a--- next door had put a fence down middle of propeties. I told him to throw his dustbin through his kichen window and kick it down damn the cost . He finished up moving a bit of a coward realy he was 6 foot3tall as neighbour new he was a coward so was not afraid of him neghbour was 5 feet 4inch tall.

Edited by spider1

Does anyone know what the correct process is if a neighbour wants to build a wall right up to the boundary of your land. There is no defined boundary and there have never been any fences/walls separating the land in the past. It has been accepted that each neighbour can walk/drive over any part of the land when getting to their own property or parking a car but nothing is officially documented.

Can they just build a wall based on what their deeds shows as an approximation of the boundary? There are other buildings marked on the deeds so you can roughly see where the boundary is but no measurements are shown.

If the boundary was to be defined what would normally be used to do this? At some point there were some paving flags put down on my land and the neighbour wants to build a wall immediately next to them but I'm not sure if my land extends slightly beyond the paving slabs as these are relatively recent. If the wall is built it will effect the value of my property as it will make it difficult/impossible to park on the land I own. It will also make it very difficult for my neighbour to park on their land but they don't seem bothered about this.

So, anyone got any ideas on what the correct process is and what is used to officially define a boundary if that is what is required. Also who would have to pay the fees involved with defining the boundary.

The deeds of the property and the land register and any agreements in writing between the previous owners, it depends on the age of the homes and who built them. most likely in yards, feet and inchs, rights of access, some have dimensions rights of access which may not include cars. They may not have been car access in the first place if the house is an old one, victorian, edwardian. It may be only walking access only

How is he going to stop him if he is a big agressive b------. I suspect its going to get nasty Finish up puting house up for sale normally happens . A friend of mine was also in a similar situation went to work one day when he came home when he came home a--- next door had put a fence down middle of propeties. I told him to throw his dustbin through his kichen window and kick it down damn the cost . He finished up moving a bit of a coward realy he was 6 foot3tall as neighbour new he was a coward so was not afraid of him neghbour was 5 feet 4inch tall.

Aye, but how big was his dad?

The deeds of the property and the land register and any agreements in writing between the previous owners, it depends on the age of the homes and who built them. most likely in yards, feet and inchs, rights of access, some have dimensions rights of access which may not include cars. They may not have been car access in the first place if the house is an old one, victorian, edwardian. It may be only walking access only

Yes- see post #7.

Thanks for all the replies. Some useful information. The houses are about 200 years old but there are lots of additions and changes to boundaries over that time. I believe they used to be one house and they were split up and the land separated. There are also other newer houses that use the same access that each also own some of the land. It is pretty complicated. The newest drawings anyone has are about 60 years old and don't seem that accurate. I am going to try come to some sort of agreement with my neighbour before having to take it any further.

At least try to record that agreement in writing which both sign (and each keep a copy).

That might minimise/avoid later conflict.