Oldham V The Owls

Wednesday were very much touch and go for me tonight, the start was awful and we should have been punished more if truth be known.

Second half Oldham collapsed and Wednesday got on the front foot, Derby won't allow that sort of thinking, much improvement needed...

The lad rang me all excited when Oldham went 2-0 and I can honestly turned round and told him not to bother as Wednesday would win whether it be via extra time or not the overall Quality on the team speaks for itself over that of Oldham's saying that on the dismal first half performance you couldn't tell them apart.

That said as Dismal as the first half was it was obviously just jitters and they pulled it together after what can only have been a rollecking from Jones at half time and second half they looked a different team, they played out wide well and took the game to Oldham a lot more, as soon as the first goal went in you knew where it was going to end up

First goal was highly fortunate and a terrible mistake from the keeper, surely you lot don't rate JJ? He's terrible if you ask me, doesn't like to defend and is only in the game for half of the time on the pitch maximum, carrying a prisoner there in my opinion and need to offload and replace.

I got shot down when I made a point on how terrible I think Gardner is, well my point very much stands correct this evening. He was shocking tonight, reminded me of a Mr Nosworthy who we had the unfortunate pleasure of having at the lane recently. Off the pace, touch like a donkey and flapping at anything waist height and below. He is not a first team Championship regular in my opinion, Oldham strikers made him look very clumsy and average, certain Championship strikers will rip him to shreds.

Positives. The lad Pecnik or whatever he's called took a while to warm up but when he got there he looked very well, good control and both feet which is a huge bonus. The lad O'Grady looked out to prove a point and why not, he wants to play in the championship so I can't fault him for fighting for his place.

Overall two CB's would worry me going into the new season, a few options going forward for you whether they are good enough against Champs team wh knows but second half tonight can't have hurt them. Tighten up at the back and kick off from the first minute and you should be ok for another year up there, anyone thinking play-offs or more on that performance at the back I wouldn't bank on it.

First game for most of them together when it mattered, showed a lot of spirit to win 4-2, make you wonder how good they could be when they nit so I don't agree with your thinking.

We didnt seem to settle into the pace of the 1st competetive game and oldham looked well up for it. DJ brought the teams heads back into the game at half time and thats why i have faith in him. I would really like to bring in another striker, a winger and a central defender before saturday. if no more tranfers are made i would start with O'grady and Madine (if fit), pecnik on the right side, antonio on the left, coke and semedo in the middle. Lee must have a niggle but buxton looked dodgy so id prefer lee at RB, the rest of the team as you were. Hopefully they can gel quickly. Overall a dire 1st half but a vastly improved second, i think our team has alot of goals in them which is why i think we will do fine in the league.

Wednesday fans have always known JJ is hit and miss - he has looked very lazy and completely out of it some games - really difficult to understand when you see him try and see what he can do. He is a player I can't decide on - now we're in the Championship he'll need to come to the fore much more often, I have confidence that DJ will out/bench him if he doesn't.

They did look like they haven't played together much and I am hoping (like Matt) that they knit together rather rapidly!

By the bye - I've always quite liked Co'G and I hope he continues to prove himself to DJ and commands a regular place in the team.

In the post match interview DJ stated "not many C'ship teams will let us come back from 2 down - they'll (the Wed players) be shown the video".

Says it all for me. Realist, not excitable - just what we need. I will still be approaching this season with a little confidence that we won't finish up in a relegation battle but as a lifelong Wednesday fan I know not to let myself get carried away. :):)

Was that the same Oldham that beat Man City just last week ??

You still laughing back there? :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

At that penalty yes.:hihi::hihi:.

How do you think Antonio did in his central midfield role?:hihi::hihi:.

We didnt seem to settle into the pace of the 1st competetive game and oldham looked well up for it. DJ brought the teams heads back into the game at half time and thats why i have faith in him. I would really like to bring in another striker, a winger and a central defender before saturday. if no more tranfers are made i would start with O'grady and Madine (if fit), pecnik on the right side, antonio on the left, coke and semedo in the middle. Lee must have a niggle but buxton looked dodgy so id prefer lee at RB, the rest of the team as you were. Hopefully they can gel quickly. Overall a dire 1st half but a vastly improved second, i think our team has alot of goals in them which is why i think we will do fine in the league.

What do you class as 'do fine in the league' - finishing 21st and staying up, or are you expecting top half or even playoffs?

Clough will have seen the owls defence last night and they must fancy their chances of bagging a few on Saturday, looked very creaky, and as said elsewhere looked like the United defence that got us relegated with Nosworthy in charge...

It'll be interesting to see which Pecnik turns up most weeks, the joker from the first half or the one that played better after the flukey goal... interesting though that Coke is now in favour, after not being good enough for you in L1 last season! Though that might be because of the change of manager and style.

What do you class as 'do fine in the league' - finishing 21st and staying up, or are you expecting top half or even playoffs?

Clough will have seen the owls defence last night and they must fancy their chances of bagging a few on Saturday, looked very creaky, and as said elsewhere looked like the United defence that got us relegated with Nosworthy in charge...

It'll be interesting to see which Pecnik turns up most weeks, the joker from the first half or the one that played better after the flukey goal... interesting though that Coke is now in favour, after not being good enough for you in L1 last season! Though that might be because of the change of manager and style.

id love it if they saw that 1st half performance and fancied their chances. i find it very unlikely jones will let the team go out there and do the same thing.....Im expecting mid-table, without the relegation battle, and i think that is a realistic target imo.

As for Coke he was always good enough, unfortunately he likes to pass the ball on the deck and run with it, something Megson isn't exactly famous for :hihi: The lad finally has a chance with Jones style of play (although i still think we need another central midfielder)

We are not playing in the old days and if he touched the ball Simmos penalty went in

God I knew you morons were biased but at least I thought you'd see an incident as it happens, obviously not. Don't talk like an arse Simmo's pen came down same time as the Mars lander, if that was a foul I'll show my arse in Burton's window.

Me thinks you ought to get a proper TV or; get to specsavers, no way on this earth was it a foul.

I mean we are all biased towards our teams; but when things happen at least I, tell it as it is.

God I knew you morons were biased but at least I thought you'd see an incident as it happens, obviously not. Don't talk like an arse Simmo's pen came down same time as the Mars lander, if that was a foul I'll show my arse in Burton's window.

Me thinks you ought to get a proper TV or; get to specsavers, no way on this earth was it a foul.

I mean we are all biased towards our teams; but when things happen at least I, tell it as it is.

I've rung Burtons and they said "After seeing 11 Blade arses on Saturday, we're not too keen on seeing yet another one so soon, or we might have to kick this one aswell" ;):D:hihi:

i think you mean in your opinion of how football should be played i.e. olden days rough an tumble it shouldnt be a foul

but in the rules of today there were contact from behind which means 100% penalty fact. (although soft iyo)

the players / commentaters / tv guests non of em complained an agreed it was a pen