Small Claims Courts

Can anyone suggest any good small claims courts around which cover Sheffield?

There is only ONE small claims court. Its called court.

What made you think you could choose from multiple options? - am I getting confused with something else?

It makes no difference which court you issue in the process is idential and there is certainly no favouritism between different courthouses as differnt judges all cover the same random hearings its just pot luck.

You issue a claim at your local court or online. The court processes the matter and it is a allocated to judge in a local court either nearest the Defendnat or the Claimant - depending who the judge thinks.

If by some chance it goes to a hearing you will attend at said court and sit in a judges chambers along with your defendant and argue it out.

A Judgment will be made and you or them will be sucessful. If its you then the Defendant will be given an order to pay within a certain timescale. However, be warned that a sucessful judgment doesn't always mean you get a payment. If the defendant pleads they aint got the money or your settlement would cause them great difficulty you might just end up with a moral vicotry.

That would depend on the financial evidence and/or the judge's decision.

I believe that if you do use a small claims court the case is heard in the locality of the defendent.

I claimed against two leading holiday companys and was successful both times, as the clerk said "They usualy settle at the 11th hour fearing bad publicity"

Edited by Tom Bailey

Post #3 is correct. As far as I recall, all Small Claims are in the County Court; and all online cases start in Northampton.

Yeah first thing I tried

It was the top result, you should have gone to Specsavers.

It's all done on line, it even calculates your claim and court costs, I've just claimed and got my money back last week.

You can even request a judgement with a click of a button if the defendant doesn't pay as I had to do.

They then get a letter, and you will get a copy stating you have requested a judgement and this will affect their future credit rating.

If they pay, which mine did after I requested a judgement, they can request the judgement be removed and gives you the option to contest it. No reason to if they pay.

The only thing I will say is keep it brief to bullet points it's a limited amount of words.

Yea it's worth remembering someone on the other end is going to have to read through it, they don't want your life story, just the facts.