Right to Buy (RTB) MEGATHREAD

Has anyone applied to buy their council house recently or do you know anyone who has?

My parents in law have done so but the process takes so long and when you ring the council, they won't tell you over the phone, just telling you to wait.

Its a 2 bed semi at Gleadless - anyone any ideas on what the value might come back at?

Years ago someone I know put a bid in for their council house and the valuation included improvements he had made himself!!

Basically, he had to buy his own improvements. Talk about a rip-off!!

We started buying our house April last year (April 3rd rings a bell) and completed the purchase on March 5th THIS YEAR.

However, the price was extremely good, and our surveyor said Sheffield Council always appears to give out conservative valuations.

As long as they have been in the house a few years, you can't lose really anyway.

Just be prepared for a long, frustrating purchase, the council and their solicitors move at their own (verrrry slooooow) pace.

NB Our 3 bed semi was valued at £52000... the average house here was going for about £70000 at the time, so taking increasing values into account you will probably be looking at the low to mid 60's I would have thought.

I have heard a rumour,only a rumour mind, that when you buy your house the staff that are employed in the housing dept cannot wait to move a problem family next d oor to you given half a chance.It seems they think that every house sold lessens their future employement prospects.

Does anyone know how long you must live in your council property before you can buy it? And how the discount works?

I think you have to live there for 2 years before you can buy. The longer you are a council tennant, the bigger discount you get.

It must have changed then becaus I thought it was 5 years? Thanks for that

It varies depending on how long you've been a tenant. The rules changed from 2 years, to 5 years for people who became new council or housing association tenants from 18th January 2005. If you were a tenant before that then its still 2 years.

All the information you need is here http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/the-right-to-buy/who-can-buy along with contact details for enquiries. Best to get the information from the right source, then it should be accurate. ;)

we were housing association tenants from Nov 03, Northern Counties, then we moved into a council property in April 07, so could we buy our house now or would we have to wait until next year?

we were housing association tenants from Nov 03, Northern Counties, then we moved into a council property in April 07, so could we buy our house now or would we have to wait until next year?

You will have to wait until you have been in your council house for 5 years so 2012.

Just wondered cus Ms Macbeth said 2 years if you were a council or housing association tenant before January 05 and we were. Can't get onto the weblink she gave me for some reason. I'll probably just get the forms from howden house and look into it. Thanks

I think that means living in the same property unfortunately. Why not just stick to renting it though. It is much cheaper in this day and age.