Council house empty bedrooms

It is now from next april 2013 that anybody who as empty bedrooms not in use will now have to pay an extra 14 to 25% extra who is on benefits,excluding anyone aged 61 and over,this is to make you downsize from your property,

so if you pay £8 water rates you will have to pay £25 for a bedroom not in use,

I got this through the post yesterday. Won't affect me at all, but I notice it says you could be affected "if you live in social housing" - So does it only apply to council and HA tenants, not those privately renting?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I guess the over 61s with grown up children and quite possibly widowed could be the ones who might most benefit from downsizing too, but looks like that won't be happening.

i am not sure about private renting,

As far as I recall, one of Local Housing Allowance and Housing Benefit applies to private-sector lettings and the other applies to public-sector lettings. The rules might differ between the categories, as public-sector landlords are much more governed by legislative rules.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Do you get all the rent paid on a council house currently? Regardless of family size? Not the LHA rates you get on private renting, where you already lose money if you have spare bedrooms (I think)

This part also slightly worrying for some "It does not matter how your 'spare' bedroom is used. Even if you and your partner have to sleep seperately due to a medical condition, or the main residence of your children is somewhere else, but you have a spare room for when they stay with you, you could still be affected"

Parents with joint custody or weekend access who are given a house with extra bedrooms on that basis will be affected then.

This part also slightly worrying for some "It does not matter how your 'spare' bedroom is used. Even if you and your partner have to sleep seperately due to a medical condition, or the main residence of your children is somewhere else, but you have a spare room for when they stay with you, you could still be affected"

Parents with joint custody or weekend access who are given a house with extra bedrooms on that basis will be affected then.

*mod hat off*

I am also worried how this new legislation will affect disabled people who are in a specially adapted property, which meets their needs.

How will they find another property adapted to a standard that suits them meets their needs?

Will they be forced to move into a non-adapted/ unsuitably adapted property, and have to wait till the council have the money/get round to making the adaptations that they require?

(And, going on the wait a friend of mine has had, for his adapatations, it could be years!)

*mod hat off*

Like you, Leah-Lacie, I also have grave worries about the legislation making it very difficult for a non-custodial parent to have/ maintain access to their child(ren).

*mod hat off*

Like you, Leah-Lacie, I also have grave worries about the legislation making it very difficult for a non-custodial parent to have/ maintain access to their child(ren).

and I did quote that a bit wrong with not having the booklet to hand. It doesn't say MAY it says "The changes WILL still apply even if..."

Please could someone explain this a bit better as I don't fully understand the OPs post. Are we talking about rent or water rates here? If the latter, single people may well be on a water meter anyway. Also, what has benefits got to do with it? My understanding is that if someone is one housing benefit the local authority housing allowance takes care of this already in that the applicant is only allowed money for properties that meet their need e.g. single person/one bedroom.

:confused:

Edited by ccit

Please could someone explain this a bit better as I don't fully understand the OPs post. Are we just talking about water rates here? If so, single people may well be on a water meter anyway. Also, what has benefits got to do with it?

No. You still pay water rates, plus 14% HB cut for one spare room, or 25% cut for two spare rooms. If you are a couple under 60 who have been happily raising a family in a 3 bed house, and the kids have now left home, you would lose 25% of HB for having two spare rooms. Even if one kid is at uni and comes home for holidays, the rules still apply.