Roadworks on A61 Penistone Road - potential delays

This is so unhelpful. You tell us you are doing roadworks but it is totally unclear from this information and from your silly little maps on the website exactly what is happening. This is amateurish and half hearted and you can and should do better. It is not enough to warn, we need detailed and CLEAR PRECISE information.

Can you be absolutely clear what roads you are closing on what dates. Is the A61 remaining open at any time. This is a very serious matter, being the main route into Sheffield and you make it sound like you are interrupting a school run.

Travellers really want absolute precision, with map AND WRITTEN information. E.g. Halifax Road will be closed to all traffic on the following dates in the following places.

This is the least you can do, considering you take our money and now you are causing major disruptions and as a paying consumer to Yorkshire Water and also paying road taxes I feel I should be FULLY informed.

I am using this route tomorrow, in terrible weather conditions and I do not know what will be open, what the alternative routes are, how safe they will be or whether I need to consider abandoning this route altogether.

At least they'll be done before the resurfacing. I was a bit vexed when rustlings road was dug up 6 weeks after it was resurfaced.

but where are the diversion signs we will all be pushed onto icy and bottleneck side roads

My goodness this sounds like.an absolute nightmare. Why can't they do whatever they want to do overnight thereby creating the least disruption - sounds like its going to be total chaos!

It ain't rocket science!:o One side of the road will be closed off so they can dig it up. The area to be dug up features a couple of road junctions that will be completely closed at the appropriate time. The Northbound/Southbound traffic will take it in turns to use the other side of the road which will be controlled by inappropriately timed temporary traffic lights ( Or a bored/disintrested workman ) and the queues will be all the way back to Tankersley in the morning and Rutland road in the evening! The Foxhill road/Main street and Creswick Lane/Middleton Lane/Nether Avenue side roads will become gridlocked ratruns.

The School run from Grenoside to Ecclesfield school will be quicker via Jaw bone hill/Deepcar/Stocksbridge bypass!:hihi:

In there wisdom Sheffield City council have also authorised part of Barnsley road near Longley College into 1 Lane with traffic restrictions. Meaning the main roads from the North of Sheffield towards town are massively blocked off!

Kudos to the massive idiot who has just added about 30 minutes to an hour more onto everyones journey there.

In there wisdom Sheffield City council have also authorised part of Barnsley road near Longley College into 1 Lane with traffic restrictions. Meaning the main roads from the North of Sheffield towards town are massively blocked off!

Kudos to the massive idiot who has just added about 30 minutes to an hour more onto everyones journey there.

Nothing like some gross exaggeration to liven the day up, is there?

Has anyone actually been delayed by any of these works, or are you just making wild speculation?

I use the A61 every day at peak times and I haven't seen any delays at all.

Even if they are digging up a couple of the routes into city from the North, there are alternatives and people usually find them very quickly if they experience any delays.

We apologise for the delays and inconvenience this work may cause, however please be assured we are working as quickly as we can to get this work completed.

Work in the main carriageway will be carried out under two-way traffic lights which will be manned at all times to ensure traffic is able to flow as quickly as possible. You will be able to travel along the A61 Penistone Road at this time although this is likely to incur delays.

From 6 February 2012, we will start at the junction of Wheel Lane to outside 23 Penistone Road. Whilst we carry out the work on this section Salt Box Lane and Wheel Lane will be closed at the junction with the A61 for approximately 3 weeks.

Once this section is complete and Salt Box Lane and Wheel Lane are re-opened, we will then start on the next section between the junctions of School Lane and Norfolk Hill. During this time we will close School Lane from 27 February 2012 and then Norfolk Hill will be one way only (uphill) from 5 March 2012. We will also need to close the junction of Whitley Lane whilst we are on this section.

Suggested diversion routes can be downloaded from our website http://www.yorkshirewater.com/A61 and these will be well signposted while we are on site.

We apologise for the disruption this work will cause, however this essential project is necessary to ensure we continue to provide the best quality drinking water to customers in Sheffield. This £8million project is part of our £376million investment across Yorkshire between 2012 and 2013.

For more information please visit the website http://www.yorkshirewater.com/A61 or contact our site customer service team on 0844 8481096 (Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm).

Nothing like some gross exaggeration to liven the day up, is there?

Has anyone actually been delayed by any of these works, or are you just making wild speculation?

I use the A61 every day at peak times and I haven't seen any delays at all.

Even if they are digging up a couple of the routes into city from the North, there are alternatives and people usually find them very quickly if they experience any delays.

Until some arsehole of a planner blocks them off.:rolleyes:

Planner1. No it is not gross exaggeration. I was held up for an hour this morning on Barnsley road by the temporary traffic lights outside Longley College. It took me an hour to get from Grenoside to the Northern General. So next time you go to belittle someone, how about you get your facts straight first?

Yes there are alternatives. These usually take you all around the houses and turn roads not made for that volume of traffic into an absolute nightmare.

The diversions in place pass multiple schools, which are already a horror to drive past in a morning, will now become overrun and cause massive delays. Not to mention vastly increasing the volume of traffic around large amounts of children is never the greatest policy.

Planner 1 - I can also verify that this was not exaggeration of any sort (and you owe the poster an apology for your tone, frankly).

I leave home at 7.30am to get to work for 8am. This morning I got to work just after 8.40, due to the hold up on the Barnsley Road and the temp traffic lights. So 30 mins to an hour seems to be spot on.

Planner 1 - I can also verify that this was not exaggeration of any sort (and you owe the poster an apology for your tone, frankly).

I leave home at 7.30am to get to work for 8am. This morning I got to work just after 8.40, due to the hold up on the Barnsley Road and the temp traffic lights. So 30 mins to an hour seems to be spot on.

Well, I wouldn't have sat in a queue for 30 mins, I would have turned around and gone another way.

My point about gross exaggeration is still valid. The person I quoted said:

As I have said and has been independently confirmed, the main roads from the North are not blocked off (ie there are no restrictions on the A61 at the moment). There are temporary signals on Barnsley Road at the moment, that's all.