Roadworks on A61 Penistone Road - potential delays

We supply Sheffield with great tasting, top quality water. But to keep it that way we need to keep investing in upgrading and replacing our pipework.

On 6th February, we're starting an £8 million investment to refurbish and repair some of our water mains in Sheffield to ensure customers continue to get great tasting, top quality water.

This essential work will lead to the closure of some local roads and traffic delays on the A61 Penistone Road in and out of Sheffield (near Hillsborough football ground). Some customers may have to take alternatives routes for their journeys to work or school.

Further information on how this work may affect you can be found on our website http://www.yorkshirewater.com/A61

Any comments on the price increase or are you just going to keep spamming the forum with your marketing spiel?

Well essentially customers are paying for this "investment" are they not?

I'd like my bill to stay as it is thanks

The average water and sewerage bill in Yorkshire is going to rise by £21 from £340 to £361 but we want to explain what the increase is paying for, how we're helping customers and what benefits it will deliver.

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/your-account/our-charges.aspx

Wow, that's 6.2% even more than the BBC were reporting. You're investing £8 million in Sheffield, Thames water are investing £4.1bn in the super sewer in London. Their bills only rose by 6.7%.

Don't you think that your rises ought to be more in line with similar areas like Severn Trent...at 5%. Does the £8million really justify the thrid largest increase in the country? Isn't water main replacement an inevitable on-going cost of a company which supplies er...water. Weren't you replacing any parts of your network last year?

Having lived in London I fully appreciate how good our water is

I suggest that any discussion on water prices is for another thread. The information provided by the OP may be very useful to commuters and anyone else using the route where the work is to be carried out.

I suggest that any discussion on water prices is for another thread. The information provided by the OP may be very useful to commuters and anyone else using the route where the work is to be carried out.

Well said. Yorkshire Water have already sent out a couple of flyers to homes in the area, but extra details are always welcome. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any details on TSY's site about how local bus services are going to be affected/rerouted. Does anyone know? Or have any inspired guesses?

Mods- i have already started a thread on this - worth merging the two?

updated letter arrived today for local residents in the area explaining YW have not been clear about what road will be closed when...here is what they said

"From 6th feb we will start at the junction of wheel lane to outside 23 penistone rd, Salt box lane and wheel lane will be closed at the junction of the a 61 whilst we work on this section for approx 3 weeks..........Once this section is complete and roads reopned we will start on between junctions of school lane and norfolk hill. school lane will be closed from 27th feb and then norfolk hill will be made one way up hill from 5th march. the junction of whitley lane will be closed when we are on this section"

I spoke to the customer services lead on this (craig jackson 0844 8481096)and he stated 'they are not sure where the diversions are going to be as yet' as they may change the diversion route regularly according to local need/traffic/any problems they encounter. they did not have any maps to send out or guides to any planned diversion routes. they did not state if local buses are on diversion, but presume they will be (particularly when norfolk hill one way i guess)

so there you go, if i hear anything else or receive another YW letter about the roadworks/traffic probs, i will post it on here.

xgx

Roadworks also start at Chapeltown on Monday 6th Feb.

They're doing improvements to the Station Road/Arundel Road junction (turn off to Asda) - scheduled to take 3 weeks.

So both main (non-motorway) routes into Sheffield from the north are likely to be disrupted..... great planning!

Roadworks also start at Chapeltown on Monday 6th Feb.

They're doing improvements to the Station Road/Arundel Road junction (turn off to Asda) - scheduled to take 3 weeks.

So both main (non-motorway) routes into Sheffield from the north are likely to be disrupted..... great planning!

Thanks for this TrashyBook.

That was my alternative route to work, l suppose l'll have to go onto the bypass now. Won't that be fun :(