What happened to our fine old city?

Wasn't it down near Lady's Bridge? Seem to remember buying a keg of beer from there for a party when I was at Univ.

Bridge Street is a continuation of Castle Gate my pal.

You know the one at the back of the Castle Market .

If you use the Market back door up the spiral ramp you can see the said brewery.

Still we all know that do we not!

Buck,

It's called change and it happens.

You chose to leave this City, just like I chose to move here.

I came here when it was economically derelict after the steel industry had been destroyed. The city may well have been a city of engineers and craftsmen, just as my home town was a Coal town. Unfortunately, the world economy made sure that those options were no longer available.

People in this city have built up the place again since the 1980s, and are still building it. Do we have to be famous? I'm proud of my City and I have no doubt that those much maligned undergrads (many of whom choose to stay here and contribute to the economy of the city) will do much to make this city world famous again.

Just as older people made their contributions, younger people (including me at 44) are continuing to make them today. My grandfather also fought in Flanders, and my mother was involved in the defence of Sheffield during the Blitz as a 'fire watcher'.

I'm not going to e-mail you - I doubt anything I write would change your mind, but I think it's worth posting here that I am proud and honoured to call Sheffield my 'adopted home' town.

Joe

I read a few interesting things about Sheffield not too long ago; first that we are among the greenest cities in Europe, not just the UK, second that there are more trees in Sheffield than any other compareable sized European city and last, that in the rankings of cities where students come to study, and then like the city so much that they decide to settle down here and stay, Sheffield was in the top five (might have even been top).

As for the continual harping on about Thatcher, let's not forget that labour put up Michael Foot to stand against her, and even as someone from a solid, labour, working class family, it was obvious how that would end. The same for Neil Kinnock. The same next time for Ed Miliband.

I read a few interesting things about Sheffield not too long ago; first that we are among the greenest cities in Europe, not just the UK, second that there are more trees in Sheffield than any other compareable sized European city and last, that in the rankings of cities where students come to study, and then like the city so much that they decide to settle down here and stay, Sheffield was in the top five (might have even been top).

As for the continual harping on about Thatcher, let's not forget that labour put up Michael Foot to stand against her, and even as someone from a solid, labour, working class family, it was obvious how that would end. The same for Neil Kinnock. The same next time for Ed Miliband.

hiya i read the other week that more steel is made now than at any time before, i find this strange as we never hear of the swing grinders and the other men who were employed in the steel industry( like my dad a swing grinder who we knew what steel he was grinding by the smell, stainless steel had a particular smell.

Bridge Street is a continuation of Castle Gate my pal.

You know the one at the back of the Castle Market .

If you use the Market back door up the spiral ramp you can see the said brewery.

Still we all know that do we not!

Get me gates an bridges all mixed up, cuttsie. Combination of bein oer ere all this time an owd age. :hihi:

hiya i read the other week that more steel is made now than at any time before, i find this strange as we never hear of the swing grinders and the other men who were employed in the steel industry( like my dad a swing grinder who we knew what steel he was grinding by the smell, stainless steel had a particular smell.

It's all automated and uses different methods now willy, as far as I know.

Where was the Tennant's brewery in Sheffield? I remember the Exchange brewery on Bridge Street and Ward's Brewery at the bottom of Ecclesall Road when both were still working and the stink they made when they were boiling the hops and malt, but I don't know about Tennant's. Maybe it was before my time or is it a mistake in the original post?

Tennants Brewery was the Exchange Brewery Bridge street it was taken over by Whitbreads in the 60s, I worked for Whitbreads Distibution at Tinsley, but used to also work from Bridge street on the Tankers.

Are you old enough to remember Sheffield as it was so long ago? I probably have no right to comment on it because I left it 37 years ago. But my roots are there, my mom and dad and my grand parents are buried there. I believe it is almost unrecognisble today. Have the smells of Tennants brewery, and Lyons coffeee house on Fargate gone forever along with the smell of leaking gas from the bomb graters Hitler left us with.

But I think what I miss most is the pride of a city that made the finest steel and cutlery in the world, and those who made it happen. Certainly the city has suffered from a world that is looking for the cheapest way to live. After all do you need a quality knife and fork to eat, no you can use your fingers, and basically, thats the way the world thinks today and unfortunatelay, that includes today's Sheffielders.

This is and never was a University city, though we were always proud of what SU did in metallurgy and glass technology and other things. This was a city of artisans, technologists, and enineers. This city created the first metals that could be used in jet engines at the temperatures they could sustain.

This city today is full of undergrads who contribute nothing but dissent and no cures for its ills. If you disagree you can email me at [email protected] and state your case,

its all change m8 government don't care about this city no more thy pulled 1/2 of Sheffield down and let in 1000s of immigrants to take the jobs that the city not got the houses to

no wonder the country like it is.. thy punishing the British people and putting immigrants first :) not my type of city.

mate

bring back the old days where you can work 60 hours a week for a descent wage not today immigrants work 80 hours a week for peanut and we get stuck on the dole and get punished by the government for not working lol

Edited by robbert69

What the kids of today do not seem to have, is any kind of self value

As buck says the blokes who fought in the World Wars were worth ten of these today

trouble with todays youth thy to Manny do-gooders and no discipline not the youth of todays fault thy just need leader ship and shown the way

on a lighter note a X weapons manufacturer still no how to make knifes but no where to make them :( the good hold day cheers Maggie i remember you.. and i make shore my children's children will remember you 2 but not in a good way

Edited by robbert69

Can I just say to all you old timers, most of whom I have a deep respect for.. if you are under the age of 60 years old the chances of you ever serving conflict time in the army is slim to none.. you personally didnt fight ANY war, for me or anyyone else, but your Dad or Grandad might have, so that pretty much kills that argument dead.

Another point.. you ask what the youth of today will be proud of? well it has to be the diversity of culture that we are cultivating in this city at the moment and the sense of co operation between all the different cultural communities that there are in this city. I'm 30 so I cant really call myself a youth but thats what I will look back on with pride. Yes, I mourn the loss of industry from the city.. but would I go back to the days of smog and soot and chest complaints? No I wouldnt.. And as for criime? well.. in the 20's we had a gang war going on which was nationwide news through control of gambling at race courses.. the Guuttaperchers, the Moonies etc... would I like to see them return? No... so tell me please.. what is your argument? and is the original post justt an excuse to blame the grandkids for the way you guys FAILED to raise YOUR children.. Just putting that one out there

So, DC, in a thread about what has happened to our fine old city, you lace it with an appeal to locate someone and offer a load of rubbish about climate change.

Fyi, Climate change, which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, is very real. Where I live in Canada, the arctic ice is disappearing, polar bears are moving south and we have just had a winter with hardly any snow. The past few days the temperatures have been in the 20s, the first time ever for March. Records have been shattered by about 6 degrees. Hibernating mammals and amphibia are starting to come out of hibernation, a risky business because they could be caught out in a sudden cold snap. Because of lack of snow and consequent poor melt, the prairies are getting ready for a dust bowl season with poor harvests.

As to your asssertion that people in Oz are starting to embrace the new 19th century reality as you see it, I would want to know who those people are. I know many eminent scientists in Australia who would heartily disagree with you and your "people," whoever they may be.

Read the scientific literature, look at the data, don't just spout off. Stop giving the politicians more excuses, as if they needed them, to do nothing.

Now, back to topic. What has happened to our fine old city?

FYI Tim Flannery who is the Climate Change adviser to our Stupid Federal Labour Govt. is on record as saying 2 years ago that Queensland would never see decent rain again, it would become an Arid dust bowl due to Climate change. He has been made to look the idiot he is, Queensland has just experienced the worst rain and floods in over a century. We have built desalination plants costing billions of dollars that we have no need for. Maybe you should get with the programme Mate!

What "programme," mate? A program that chooses to look the other way while a mountain of scientific evidence would suggest we are afraid of the truth? When the only reasonable course to take would be one of paying attention and pressuring our politicians to do something about our planet for future generations? I'd give a program like that a wide berth. Reminds me a bit of all those people in the 1930s who had their heads in the sand hoping that Adolf Hitler would just go away. He didn't and neither will climate change.

You are lucky to have a government that has someone of the caliber of Tim Flannery as a scientific advisor. He is an internationally-respected authority on climate change and ecological integrity. Our very conservative government, elected by only 39% of the voting public, doesn't give the time of day to David Suzuki, who is Flannery's Canadian counterpart. Consequently, we're pillaging the Alberta landscape so that multinationals can get at those precious oil sands, building pipelines over the Rocky Mountains, and shipping these high carbon fuels to points East. There's talk of re-opening another asbestos mine again and a bill is before Parliament to "streamline" environmental assessment projects aimed at exploiting fossil fuels. Welcome to the 19th century.

I can't comment on the quotes you attribute to Flannery because I didn't hear them. I suspect you've taken them out of context. He was probably commenting on the long term fallout. But, here's an idea. If you really want to grasp the abundance of empirical evidence that Flannery has amassed, why not read:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Weather-Makers-Tim-Flannery/dp/0002008319

I 've read it, examined the data, so from an informed perspective can honestly say that if you don't believe in climate change, you need to think about taking out a membership in your local flat earth society. The evidence is overwhelming.

Oh, but wait. There were and are some leading figures who didn't/don't believe in it. Let me see. Ronald Reagan. George Bush the elder, George Dubya, and I believe, Sara Palin. Maybe they're in that "programme" you seem so fond of. The company one keeps.

Now, after all this, will you please tell me what your musings on climate change had to do with the thread on "our fine old city?" No, on second thoughts, I'm not really interested in knowing. Mate.

Edited by soft ayperth

What "programme," mate? A program that chooses to look the other way while a mountain of scientific evidence would suggest we are afraid of the truth? When the only reasonable course to take would be one of paying attention and pressuring our politicians to do something about our planet for future generations? I'd give a program like that a wide berth. Reminds me a bit of all those people in the 1930s who had their heads in the sand hoping that Adolf Hitler would just go away. He didn't and neither will climate change.

You are lucky to have a government that has someone of the caliber of Tim Flannery as a scientific advisor. He is an internationally-respected authority on climate change and ecological integrity. Our very conservative government, elected by only 39% of the voting public, doesn't give the time of day to David Suzuki, who is Flannery's Canadian counterpart. Consequently, we're pillaging the Alberta landscape so that multinationals can get at those precious oil sands, building pipelines over the Rocky Mountains, and shipping these high carbon fuels to points East. There's talk of re-opening another asbestos mine again and a bill is before Parliament to "streamline" environmental assessment projects aimed at exploiting fossil fuels. Welcome to the 19th century.

I can't comment on the quotes you attribute to Flannery because I didn't hear them. I suspect you've taken them out of context. He was probably commenting on the long term fallout. But, here's an idea. If you really want to grasp the abundance of empirical evidence that Flannery has amassed, why not read:

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Weather-Makers-Tim-Flannery/dp/0002008319

I 've read it, examined the data, so from an informed perspective can honestly say that if you don't believe in climate change, you need to think about taking out a membership in your local flat earth society. The evidence is overwhelming.

Oh, but wait. There were and are some leading figures who didn't/don't believe in it. Let me see. Ronald Reagan. George Bush the elder, George Dubya, and I believe, Sara Palin. Maybe they're in that "programme" you seem so fond of. The company one keeps.

Now, after all this, will you please tell me what your musings on climate change had to do with the thread on "our fine old city?" No, on second thoughts, I'm not really interested in knowing. Mate.

Well Rog the climate is defo up to know good on Castle Gate 70 degrees last week and bloody freezing today with snow at the Manor Top, its confusing, To me anyway!