What happened to our fine old city?

what about the running out of the iron ore, surely thats a reason why it is less of a steel city? it is still a steel city to a much smaller extent as recycled metals are ofcourse used.

not a fan of your dig at the undergraduates perhaps their fees contribute to some of the outstanding archetecture thats built/being built. the hallam uni area is looking awesome.

I've got more of a problem with old people, they're the ones that don't add anything to the city.

I'll bet your parents are proud of you. Didn't they rear a nice boy/girl?

what about the running out of the iron ore, surely thats a reason why it is less of a steel city? it is still a steel city to a much smaller extent as recycled metals are ofcourse used.

not a fan of your dig at the undergraduates perhaps their fees contribute to some of the outstanding archetecture thats built/being built. the hallam uni area is looking awesome.

I've got more of a problem with old people, they're the ones that don't add anything to the city.

I'll have you know I put my dues towards that fine silverware you're eating with now ,along with all the other Sheffield coffin dodgers that seem to get in peoples way now, smokeless zoning came out a bit too late for some old dodgers too who suffer now with respertory problems.

Undergraduates fees partially pay for their education and the buildings that it takes place in. They pay not one penny of council tax unlike the 'old people' who helped to built the city and still pay their dues. The old partially cladded Polytechnic looks better than it did but 'awsome' is somewhat of an exaggeration.

As more people like me decide that a possible 20 years in the sun is a better option than mooching around the city centre and Meadowhell it will be left to your generation to pick up the tab and replace the taxes that we will no longer pay. You are wecome to the chavs and mingers and of course the ever increasing student population whom I sincerely wish will be able to use their degrees well in this increasingly technological and people redundant world.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Hi,

FYI, the bus station is still not up to snuff for a city like Sheffield...

but they have worked wonders outside the Railway Station. Its called Sheaf Square now

I was equally impressed with what they have done to the front of the railway station itself. Long over due.

I agree, the city end of Arundel Gate is in rough shape eg. lots of abandoned shops and litter. Haymarket also desperately needs a make-over. The front of the abandoned BHS store is a disgrace and its not much better further down. Not been down Angel Sreet lately but it was pretty grim the last time I saw it.

Sometime when you are in Sheffield, take the Five Weirs Walk - from town to Meadowhall. These days, you have to start by going down the Wicker (another disgrace and shadow of what it used to be when I lived there as a kid) but persevere - it gets better.

Regards

I agree with you on the points you made; and will try the five weirs walk sometime. Thanks.

It's a pity the water from the fountain outside the pavement blows all over the concourse by the taxi rank; and turns into a sheet of ice in December; but that is a different issue.

I regularly bring visitors to Sheffield, including from Europe.

Sadly, I can judge their reaction to the city, when sat in a taxi with them heading along the previously mentioned streets, without a word being even said.

First impressions of a place go a long way, and last (no matter how well they are entertained within the city).

I also live in the USA but I did go back to Sheffield three years ago and of course it's changed and for the better in my opinion. Who wants to live in the filth that belched out of every factory chimney, who wants to work as a scythe grinder like my father and his father before him and be half dead from silicosis before they we're thirty years old. Every saturday night I would put on a clean shirt and it would turn grey before my eyes from soot , and polluted air so thick with grime it went dark at 2 in the afternoon.

Sheffield is still as a city no great shakes but most of the pollution has gone and the people are still the best, if the world was peopled by Sheffielders then it wouldn't be a bad place. The supertram is super BTW.

I agree with you on the points you made; and will try the five weirs walk sometime. Thanks.

It's a pity the water from the fountain outside the pavement blows all over the concourse by the taxi rank; and turns into a sheet of ice in December; but that is a different issue.

I regularly bring visitors to Sheffield, including from Europe.

Sadly, I can judge their reaction to the city, when sat in a taxi with them heading along the previously mentioned streets, without a word being even said.

First impressions of a place go a long way, and last (no matter how well they are entertained within the city).

Sheffield city centre was poor in the 50's 60's 70's and is changed today, but still is unattractive and dull.

The best part of Sheffield is the countryside surrounding it.

Of course Sheffield is only a shadow of its former self in the 60's and 70's.

Life has moved on.

Steel and the related industries are what made Sheffield and with their collapse Sheffield had to rebuild its self.

We are constantly trying to go back to Sheffield of yesterday with such subjects as the Moor,Redgates etc. Unfortunatly we cannot reverse what has happened.

I last visited in 1979 and it was pretty much as I remembered it from the late 60's early 70's.

How it has changed since is being brought home to me via this forum etc.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be...

The Bowie knife was made in Sheffield .

By George Wostenholme who liased with Jim Bowie regarding its design, I understand that some of their correspondence still exists. The Yanks have attempted to bury the historical facts regarding the Bowie Knife as they didn't care to admit that they were totally incapable of making anything anywhere near to the quality of a Sheffield made product.

New buildings are largely irrelevant to whether a city is a good city or a miserable place to live. We only have to remember with what joy the Park Hill flats, the Hyde Park flats and the Kelvin flats were greeted when they were first built.All over the world we can see proof that 'modern' does not necessarily equal 'good'. Societies do not get better in a ' straight line '.Every new development has to be judged on its own merit. I would have thought that was pretty obvious after all these years, even to the most basic thinkers.

The really important consideration is-------is Sheffield a better place to live NOW than it was , say, in the '60's and '70's, generally speaking ? We have to consider not only its appearance but its transport system, how safe it is on the streets, the educational level of its young, the feeling of community spirit, the rationality of its total city planning and its shops.

On these levels , I'm sure from various surveys, reading media reports and following S.F. comments overall, that Sheffield is going slowly down the plug-hole. New buildings look very impressive on Council handouts and colourful brochures but it's the day-to-day living conditions that make or break a city.