How much longer does Clegg have.

i agree 100% if more people think like this, britain will be a lot nicer place to live in

How ironic :rolleyes:

Longer than what on who?

It's a bit of a silly question, isn't it?

If you (or anybody else ) wanted to force a by-election in his constituency, how would you go about doing that?

The Hallam vote of 'no confidence'?

Are his constituents going to recall him? How? What procedure are you going to use?

If the electorate of the United Kingdom was represented by the people on this forum, then there might be a chance that the coalition could be brought down in the near future (a tiny chance - few politicians are likely to support a 'no confidence' vote, should their seats be vulnerable.)

Fortunately - for the people of the United Kingdom - the voices on this forum are not representative of the general feeling of the electorate.

This forum is the most doom-laden, pessimistic, 'can't be bothered to get off my arse and help myself' community I've encountered in the UK.

Fortunately, the loud-mouthed left-wingers (and there is no shortage of them on this forum) do not represent the views of the majority.

I'm not slagging off everybody. Sheffield is renowned for it's 'Wilsonian labour primitive' [the 'pound in your pocket'] attitude to life, but there are more than enough reasonable (and I include those who I disagree with in that category) people to make a discussion worthwhile.

I'm going to start a few threads over the next few days. They will not be my threads - they're everybody's threads. (it is, after all, an open forum.)

Let's not waste time waffling. If you've got something to say (Other than:

1. "Maggie was responsible for everything that ever went wrong with the world"

2. "Tories are Toffs (whatever that may be) who ride around on horses trampling the peons."

3. "The reason nobody has any jobs in the UK is that somebody inherited some money (or even worse, inherited a title and didn't have the cash to hand out to people who thought he should do so.)"

4. "All people who are out of work are thieving scroungers and they should be left to fend for themselves."

5. "All people who are out of work are quite happy to be out of work and - as long as somebody else will feed, house and clothe them - are quite happy to stay that way."

Say it. It would be quite refreshing to read a whole page of posts without having to read incestuous inherited political crap.

The reason that this forum is so successful (perhaps) is that it attracts such a wide range of people with such a wide range of opinions.

Some are smart, some are not so smart (each is entitled to his/her say.)

Between us, we - the people who post on this forum - may well represent a group which is far better equipped to govern the country than the set of planks who are doing it at the moment.

Isn't it about time that we started to have serious discussions - discussions not contaminated by (often hereditary) party politics?

I suspect (and I've no means of proving or disproving my suspicions) that this forum may contain a significant number of people (people who range in political views right across the spectrum) who are more than capable of coming up with realistic suggestions to improve life in the UK (and that, I suggest, should be the prime goal.)

If we got together (if we could ditch the 'baggage' of hereditary political views) I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the members of this forum could fix most of the problems in the UK.

It's a big 'if' and I'm not going to hold my breath. Bred-in (or should that be 'inbred'?) political attitudes have caused more damage than enough during the last 30 or more years.

Old habits die hard.

Have you ever tried to use paragraphs?

although I do agree with what you say :)

Longer than what on who?

It's a bit of a silly question, isn't it?

If you (or anybody else ) wanted to force a by-election in his constituency, how would you go about doing that?

Are his constituents going to recall him? How? What procedure are you going to use?

All the parties agreed in their election manifestos that we should have a "right to recall" so constituents could get rid of bad MPs.

Since the election nothing has been mentioned. There is no way to get rid of MPs mid term without them dying, volunteering to go or getting put in prison.

I think I'll have to ask Meg Mugg about it again. Maybe other SF users could ask their MPs about it?

However party leaders can be forced out of leadership by their own party, that's usually how they go.

Edited by anywebsite

All the parties agreed in their election manifestos that we should have a "right to recall" so constituents could get rid of bad MPs.

Since the election nothing has been mentioned. There is no way to get rid of MPs mid term without them dying, volunteering to go or getting put in prison.

I think I'll have to ask Meg Mugg about it again. Maybe other SF users could ask their MPs about it?

However party leaders can be forced out of leadership by their own party, that's usually how they go.

You would have to define what a bad MP is.

I guess the the Lib Dems wont want Clegg out in Sheffield. I think the residents of Hallam constituency will be quite happy with what he does for Sheffield.

As long as you subscribe to that attitude you will believe it and as long as you believe it you will make it true. That's why you will be doomed to fight an enemy you cannot beat because no-one can beat an enemy that doesnt exist.

Who is "them" and who is "us"?

The country is riddled with a class system that is centuries old …… if you haven’t grasped the”“ them and us theory” I have to ask are you really British.

Edited by Grandad.Malky

The country is riddled with a class system that is centuries old …… if you haven’t grasped the”“ them and us theory” I have to ask are you really British.

Yes British through and through...go on then define the classes for me....

Yes British through and through...go on then define the classes for me....

Benefits claimants,,, often called the underclass.

Hourly paid or blue collar workers ……… once the backbone of the country but now often frowned upon as the underclass.

Middle class ….. once the realm of the well off but now full of people that think they have made it because they own their own home even it is a ex-council house, :hihi:

The upper-class .. the real “middle class” those that have made it and done well …. Good luck to them.

The aristocracy …… born with a silver spoon in their mouth,

My main point is that Labour voters are still deluded that the party is somehow on their side.

no party is on the side of the average working person, not the big three neither are the smaller ones, though the greens are probably the best of the larger smaller ones.

it was this sort of situation which lead to the formation of the original labour party.

perhaps, it's time to start a new party.....

You would have to define what a bad MP is.

I guess the the Lib Dems wont want Clegg out in Sheffield. I think the residents of Hallam constituency will be quite happy with what he does for Sheffield.

I'm puzzled. What does he do for Sheffield?

If the electorate of the United Kingdom was represented by the people on this forum, then there might be a chance that the coalition could be brought down in the near future (a tiny chance - few politicians are likely to support a 'no confidence' vote, should their seats be vulnerable.)

Fortunately - for the people of the United Kingdom - the voices on this forum are not representative of the general feeling of the electorate.

There has been a draft bill produced for the introduction of recall elections. Don't know how it's progressed in parliament. It's something all 3 main parties started to support in the wake of the expenses scandals. Although at the last election candidates from the 3 main parties in my constituency all opposed it.

The thing is, there needs to be some sort of safeguard with recall elections to ensure that they aren't triggered by partisan witchunts. To that end the draft bill states that an MP is only open to a recall petition if one of the below criteria are met.

• An MP is convicted in the United Kingdom of an offence and receives a custodial sentence of 12 months or less (the Representation of the People Act 1981 only disqualifies MPs who receive custodial sentences of more than 12 months); or,

• The House of Commons resolves that an MP should face recall (this would be an additional disciplinary power for the House).

Personally I would rather that a recall petition required a few extra thousand signatures then give that extra power to the party whips in the Commons.

However, a campaign to recall Clegg would essentially be a partisan witchhunt and I don't think that voters in Sheffield Hallam would be in any rush to join in with that.

I agree that when it comes to politics this forum is wildly unrepresentitive of Sheffield. You only need to take a look at local election results for proof of that.

I'm puzzled. What does he do for Sheffield?

what do any of our MPs do for Sheffield?

Benefits claimants,,, often called the underclass.

Hourly paid or blue collar workers ……… once the backbone of the country but now often frowned upon as the underclass.

Middle class ….. once the realm of the well off but now full of people that think they have made it because they own their own home even it is a ex-council house, :hihi:

The upper-class .. the real “middle class” those that have made it and done well …. Good luck to them.

The aristocracy …… born with a silver spoon in their mouth,

Y'see this is where using class is difficult..I have a professional job,own my own home (not ex council) but my dad worked down the pit..where does that put me in your definition? How can you call blue collar worker the "underclass"? Is it just money that defines a person's "class"?