How much longer does Clegg have.

So how do you define someone's class and why?

Are you a visitor from another planet?

Are you a visitor from another planet?

Not at all...what are your definitions?

Not at all...what are your definitions?

So how do you define someone's class and why?

For a start, social mobility has come to a stand still. One way of defining it would be to categorise one group as the people who have even greater economic and educational advantages than before as a result of the exclusion of the far larger group of people who are increasingly being left unable to compete on anything like a level playing field. This is a very crude categorisation as there are sub groups within these categories.

Although there are obviously grey areas and anomalies, class can generally be recognised by factors including clothes, area of residence, strength of accent, level of education and general demeanor. I wouldn't expect a working class person to greet me by telling me they are pleased to meet me and offering me a vol au vant, for example.

The main trick to having some level of awareness of the class structure - and the forces which keep it in place - is not being willfully blind deaf and dumb. I would put money that if a survey were done the majority of people who downplay the existence and impact of the class system come from the more economically advantaged end of it.

BTW, I too am from a working class background but was raised in a middle class environment because my dad is unusually brainy. Such anomalies do not disprove the existence of a class system. Quite the opposite, for two reasons.

1. By refering to having crossed a class boundary, you are already confirming the existence of different economic classes.

2. If my dad had been born into a middle or upper class household, he would have almost certainly got a lot further than he did economically and professionally.

Edited by donkey

For a start, social mobility has come to a stand still. One way of defining it would be to categorise one group as the people who have even greater economic and educational advantages than before as a result of the exclusion of the far larger group of people who are increasingly being left unable to compete on anything like a level playing field. This is a very crude categorisation as there are sub groups within these categories.

Although there are obviously grey areas and anomalies, class can generally be recognised by factors including clothes, area of residence, strength of accent, level of education and general demeanor. I wouldn't expect a working class person to greet me by telling me they are pleased to meet me and offering me a vol au vant, for example.

The main trick to having some level of awareness of the class structure - and the forces which keep it in place - is not being willfully blind deaf and dumb. I would put money that if a survey were done the majority of people who downplay the existence and impact of the class system come from the more economically advantaged end of it.

BTW, I too am from a working class background but was raised in a middle class environment because my dad is unusually brainy. Such anomalies do not disprove the existence of a class system. Quite the opposite, for two reasons.

1. By refering to having crossed a class boundary, you are already confirming the existence of different economic classes.

2. If my dad had been born into a middle or upper class household, he would have almost certainly got a lot further than he did economically and professionally.

Where did I do that? I wasn't aware that I'd said what class I thought I was..I was just after finding out what people thought class was eg money,job etc and where the lines they drew were.

I suspect Clegg has as long as he wants. When he gets fed up of politics there will be a well paid job for him. He might not command the favours Blair seems to rake in, but I'm sure he'll do OK.

Lets face it, Clegg has a lot longer than the armchair experts of SF believe or wish.

Like this little bird he his only their due to a mutual need …….. there is a word for that isn’t there.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mJ7es-MqscA/ThxOeKvUHlI/AAAAAAAAAbE/fnGT7-FPMJM/s1600/egpl1.jpg

Like this little bird he his only their due to a mutual need …….. there is a word for that isn’t there.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mJ7es-MqscA/ThxOeKvUHlI/AAAAAAAAAbE/fnGT7-FPMJM/s1600/egpl1.jpg

I think The Guardian may disagree with you on that.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/view.m?id=15&gid=%2Fcommentisfree%2F2012%2Faug%2F09%2Flibe-dems-stronger-cameron-needs-clegg&cat=commentisfree#.UCtjGJtA1T4.facebook

All the parties agreed in their election manifestos that we should have a "right to recall" so constituents could get rid of bad MPs.

Since the election nothing has been mentioned. There is no way to get rid of MPs mid term without them dying, volunteering to go or getting put in prison.

I think I'll have to ask Meg Mugg about it again. Maybe other SF users could ask their MPs about it?

However party leaders can be forced out of leadership by their own party, that's usually how they go.

Zac Goldsmith put forward some proposals for this. Search his twitter or webbie.

Clegg will retire into the House of Lords or Europe 3-6mths before end of this term. Vince Cable will take over the Lib Dems.

Ill wager a wee bet that Scriven will go for Cleggs area and lose.

I think Scriven has been tagged a loser and is quietly being put out to grass,his vanity and contemptuous attitude to anyone that didn't agree with him has finally been seen for what it is.

I would think that he was going to be shipped to a little backwater somewhere and be quietly forgotten about.

I think Scriven has been tagged a loser and is quietly being put out to grass,his vanity and contemptuous attitude to anyone that didn't agree with him has finally been seen for what it is.

I would think that he was going to be shipped to a little backwater somewhere and be quietly forgotten about.

Id love to think that was the case, but i fear theres too many Lib Dems in the machine who thinks hes a bit of a hero. :confused:

Id love to think that was the case, but i fear theres too many Lib Dems in the machine who thinks hes a bit of a hero. :confused:

Perhaps you're right,but instinct for survival will cut in come the election, and who on earth will want to be associated with a proven loser?