Good food at The Horns, High Bradfield

You veggies make me laugh.

Wouldn't they do you a plate of vegetables - with Yorkshire pudding and gravy? Or is gravy prohibited as well?

I have a niece who's a veggie. She is about 20 stone. God knows how! I suspect she gorges on cheese and crisps and chocolate and puddings with lots of cream and pastries.

So, she comes for Sunday lunch one day and I say to her - "What can I cook you - because we are having traditional roast?"

And she says, "I'll just have a plate of veg and some Yorkshire pudding and gravy".

And I say to her, "but the gravy is made from meat juices - and the roast potatoes are cooked in beef dripping - and the Yorkshire pudding tin is lined with beef dripping before cooking the Yorkies"

and she's not bothered about that at all. And goes on to wolf it all down.

Great! Easy for me then.

But what about this principle of not eating meat?:huh:

I guess your niece would be the only person able to answer that question

Can't fault it, bit like God's Waiting Room in the week at lunchtimes though, car park full of 52 plate Rover's and elderly Corollas. The food is excellent and their 2 for a fiver is good and unbeatable value. The chips are home made and none of this rustic chip with the skins on nonsense, yes they actually peel the potatoes before they make the chips, seems to be unheard of these days around the Peak District. Its far from a 'burger bar' as one poster suggested, its just a very good pub lunch venue!

I guess your niece would be the only person able to answer that question

True - but you missed the point a little...

I'm suggesting that "double-standards" are very common, in my experience, with vegetarians.

It doesn't make sense to say "I don't eat meat" on a conscientous objector basis but then eat other foods that have been cooked in meat juices.

Or to say "meat is murder" but then eat fish and eggs.

The previous is saying the pub had "nothing" for vegetarians - but surely they had "vegetables"? :huh:

My partner or I dont eat meat because we dont want to eat animals basicaly. Does this upset you Derby Tup?

No we wont eat things cooked in lard or have gravy made with meat juices, nor pastry made with suet or anything else with animals in it. Think your niece is playing at being a veggie.

There are vast areas of the world that dont eat meat and there is some delicious foods to eat that dont involve killing animals. All we wanted was an alternative, perhaps two veggie meals on a large menu ie a veg curry and cheese pie would have made us happy.

As for peoples weight my Daughter in law is 7stone wet through and eats everything and anything and loads of it and drinks like a fish.

Veggies dont eat fish but will use eggs, milk, cheese ect as you do not kill the animal to get eggs or milk.

Edited by wobblybob50
need to add more

I'm suggesting that "double-standards" are very common, in my experience, with vegetarians.

Very common? The only example you have given is one obese neice.

Very common? The only example you have given is one obese neice.

I should have made it clearer for the hard of understanding.

I was giving one example, my niece, as being typical of many vegetarians I have encountered. I have heard similar comments from many of our friends - particularly this time of year when the barbecue comes out. One couple who are friends were telling us the tale of trying to cater at a barbie for a veggie who had suggested "Linda McCartney vegetarian sausages and burgers" which subsequently fell apart on cooking and ended up in the coals!

My partner or I dont eat meat because we dont want to eat animals basicaly. Does this upset you Derby Tup?

No we wont eat things cooked in lard or have gravy made with meat juices, nor pastry made with suet or anything else with animals in it. Think your niece is playing at being a veggie.

There are vast areas of the world that dont eat meat and there is some delicious foods to eat that dont involve killing animals. All we wanted was an alternative, perhaps two veggie meals on a large menu ie a veg curry and cheese pie would have made us happy.

As for peoples weight my Daughter in law is 7stone wet through and eats everything and anything and loads of it and drinks like a fish.

Veggies dont eat fish but will use eggs, milk, cheese ect as you do not kill the animal to get eggs or milk.

Does it upset me? Absolutely not! I think it's great. I wish there were more veggies around then there'd be bigger portions of meat for me.

A juicy fillet steak, or T-bone, cooked medium rare so that the red juices drip down your chin and onto your singlet!

A loin of pork, roasted over open coals until the crackling turns dark golden brown like toffee and peels away in crunchy bubbled strips. The pork, carefully dipped in the brine tub, as is the traditional way, is pink and white like the bars of nougat that we bought as kids. It crumbles on the fork and exudes it's juices on the palate, off-set by a slightly tart home-made apple sauce.

The leg of lamb, marinated for at least 24 hours in red wine with rosemary, fresh chopped garlic and black pepper. Then basted lightly with a little honey and roasted over hot coals (or in the oven) until the flesh begins to crawl up the bone. The flesh slightly charred on the outside but blushing at its heart on the inside. Served with fresh home-made mint sauce and roasted vegetables.

Hungry yet?

Or do you prefer your roast "nut cluster"?:)

PS Does it not prevent the birth of an animal when you eat an egg?

Does it upset me? Absolutely not! I think it's great. I wish there were more veggies around then there'd be bigger portions of meat for me.

A juicy fillet steak, or T-bone, cooked medium rare so that the red juices drip down your chin and onto your singlet!

A loin of pork, roasted over open coals until the crackling turns dark golden brown like toffee and peels away in crunchy bubbled strips. The pork, carefully dipped in the brine tub, as is the traditional way, is pink and white like the bars of nougat that we bought as kids. It crumbles on the fork and exudes it's juices on the palate, off-set by a slightly tart home-made apple sauce.

The leg of lamb, marinated for at least 24 hours in red wine with rosemary, fresh chopped garlic and black pepper. Then basted lightly with a little honey and roasted over hot coals (or in the oven) until the flesh begins to crawl up the bone. The flesh slightly charred on the outside but blushing at its heart on the inside. Served with fresh home-made mint sauce and roasted vegetables.

Hungry yet?

Or do you prefer your roast "nut cluster"?:)

PS Does it not prevent the birth of an animal when you eat an egg?

Perhaps it's your tired attempts to wind up vegetarians, by telling them how great you think your food is, while belittling theirs that brings out that side of the vegetarians you know? Perhaps they don't feel the need to explain themselves to you, while you gently mock them?

Out of interest, if meat is so tasty, why do you feel the need to soak other flavours into it over night?

PS No, because they are unfertilised eggs.

agreed!

but they don't do enough for veggies - and I've tried to convert veggies as you can see - but it's failed. I'm sorry - I did my best!

Are there TV's there? Can you see re-runs of all that classic comedy there while eating? ;)