Banking a cheque in my maiden name

Hi all, just wondered if any one could help me out. I have got a cheque sent to me from HMRC in my maiden name, my bank account is in my married name. Does anyone know if i would be able to bank it if i took my marriage certificate in to prove its me?

Many thanks in advance!

As long as you have not been married too long then it's not a problem. You need to get HMRC to update their records though.

Thanks, didnt expect any replies so quick! I have been married 2 years and wrote to them ages ago to update, so not sure why they havent already. Thank you.

I had the same thing recently (and have been married three years - HMRC aren't the quickest at updating details lol), as long as your maiden name was previously on the account you want to pay it in to then you shouldn't have a problem

Hi all, just wondered if any one could help me out. I have got a cheque sent to me from HMRC in my maiden name, my bank account is in my married name. Does anyone know if i would be able to bank it if i took my marriage certificate in to prove its me?

Many thanks in advance!

dare I suggest that you go to your bank and ask the question??

Get divorced to revert back to your correct name

Get divorced to revert back to your correct name

No-one has a 'correct' name. Under British law, your name is whatever you choose to call yourself.

The only factor is evidence of what you choose.

Hilarious GodStar ;-) I think i'll leave off the divorce for the time being though!! Although will remember it as an excuse should difficult times ever come up. Ha ha!!

I managed to get to the bank yesterday and they banked it but said it might be returned to me if when it gets processed they decided it needs to be requested in my married name.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Strictly speaking it's not allowed.

But the bank may use discretion.