Mickey Mouse Gas Masks - Who Had One?

Hi

Here is something from the past.

At the beginning of WWII, everybody in UK was issued with a gas mask. Regular masks were made of black rubber but Kids masks were purposely made a special pink colour. It wasn't long before these masks were given the name "Mickey Mouse".

You were supposed to carry them at all times but as the war progressed, the rules were relaxed in stages. When I started at Pye Bank School in 1942, I still had to carry my M.M. mask but not for long. Can anybody remember when we were told to stop?

Regards

Edited by Falls
Text added

I was born in 1940 and had sprt of gas incubator and didn't get my MM until '44.

I always wanted to sleep in " the hole in the ground " not in a bed.

i remember sometime in the 50s some old lady who was flitting gave me an old real one i used to play with it for ages untill i couldn't stad the smell of the rubber that went in the can, and the lass steaming up. the things we played with in the 50s sixties any thing could be a toy or gun was ok

i remember my mum had one in the drawer of her dressing table when i was little it was my brothers who was born in 1942 it used to terrify me i remember putting it on my head and gasping for breath however they expected babies to wear them i dont know

I remember being shown mine but can't remember ever using it. I DO remember smelling it though. Oh and it was in a box covered in like brown paper:?:

Many WW2 gas masks contain asbestos inside the filters. It's not advisable to try on these masks as their component parts might have deteriorated allowing fibres to leak from the filter. It's recommended that a mixture of white PVA glue and water is poured into the filter and allowed to set and this should seal it up safely.

At that time, little was known about the dangers of asbestos, but to put it in perspective, we've lived with it for a long time as its been commonly used in linoleum, brake linings, ironing boards, insulation, heat protection shields and loads more things. So, I believe most of us have been exposed to it during our lives.