Energy drinks for kids

People need to stop pointing their finger at the kids and/or the kids parents. The drinks companies themselves need to be regulated. Not by an age limt, but by the way they market such items. Monster, for example. This is a drink, clearly aimed at teenagers. Lucozade have been making energy drinks for years and they market their drink at sports people, the way it should be used.

Large, cash hungry, food and drinks companies are the reason for the obesity epidemic that is sweeping the west. Right from the introduction of the extra value meal at fast food stores; portion size has increased rapidly over the last 20 or so years. Next scam was the super size meal, go large for an extra 50p?!

You can blame the consumer all you want, but these marketing schemes are effective and people will tend to eat what is put in front of them.

Their needs to be a MASSIVE inquest into the food industry in this country, before it's too late!

..........rant over x

Why is the food industry at fault. This is the problem with society. People are always looking to other people to blame rather than themselves. People lend too much and the economy is in crisis "Of course its the banks that are to blame for forcing people to take loans at gun point"

People are fat "McDonalds are to blame for forcing people to eat burgers"

People are to blame no one else. I wish this blame culture would stop.

Why is the food industry at fault. This is the problem with society. People are always looking to other people to blame rather than themselves. People lend too much and the economy is in crisis "Of course its the banks that are to blame for forcing people to take loans at gun point"

People are fat "McDonalds are to blame for forcing people to eat burgers"

People are to blame no one else. I wish this blame culture would stop.

People make their choices based on what they think is scientific research carried out by the drink companies. Time and time again it is proven they have manipulated these studies to get the answer they want. That is where they are entirely at fault!

Remember cigarettes were marketed as good for your throat in the early days!

one of the claims for one of these drinks was based on a study of rats from the 70s! hmmm!

Edited by llamatron

People make their choices based on what they think is scientific research carried out by the drink companies. Time and time again it is proven they have manipulated these studies to get the answer they want. That is where they are entirely at fault!

Remember cigarettes were marketed as good for your throat in the early days!

one of the claims for one of these drinks was based on a study of rats from the 70s! hmmm!

The last comment is very interesting considering the government and university's are still experimenting on animals to help cure desieses.

However your argument although is vaild does not say why they are entirely at fault. People still have a choice. Everyone knows advertising guru's manipulate figures and sell their products in a good light. People have freedom of choice to choose. If you continually blame companies. It means you are saying "we as humans are not capable of choosing that means choice needs to be taken away from us". That is a very dangerous argument to go down. Also anyone does anything wrong or is too fat as they eat too much can say "I'm fat because of McDonalds not 'because I'm a greedy git and eat too much"

The last comment is very interesting considering the government and university's are still experimenting on animals to help cure desieses.

However your argument although is vaild does not say why they are entirely at fault. People still have a choice. Everyone knows advertising guru's manipulate figures and sell their products in a good light. People have freedom of choice to choose. If you continually blame companies. It means you are saying "we as humans are not capable of choosing that means choice needs to be taken away from us". That is a very dangerous argument to go down. Also anyone does anything wrong or is too fat as they eat too much can say "I'm fat because of McDonalds not 'because I'm a greedy git and eat too much"

They are entirely at fault for doing that. What I mean is that people do believe them so they are entirely at fault for misleading people. Those that take these claims with a large dose of salt and know they are unhealthy are clearly at fault if they drink them. Not everyone does!

I have known coke was really bad for me for as long as I can remember, I got addicted to it as a kid. Thats why its so important for them to get children addicted-before they have the chance to understand how bad the product is!

My son loves these fowl smelling concoctions. I haven't noticed him getting hyper or anything but I do worry about what all that sugar is doing to his teeth. :(

The problem is even when using them for the right reason because they have so much caffeine in them they mess with your moods feeling on a high one minuite and really down the next.

I have now found one that does not have caffeine in it,and there are not many out there and find it works much better improving my workouts without the after effects

She also suggests that it is acid that dissolves teeth and not the sugar

Acid doesn't dissolve teeth.

anything that dissolves teeth is considered an acid

By whom?

sugar dissolves teeth

Sugar doesn't dissolve teeth.

3 points; all incorrect.

Let's have another look at the whole post:

She also suggests that it is acid that dissolves teeth and not the sugar, yet anything that dissolves teeth is considered an acid, and sugar dissolves teeth

You appear to be suggesting that the previous poster is incorrect in saying that acid "dissolves" teeth but then go on to say that anything which "dissolves" teeth (and, therefore, sugar) is an acid. Can you see the contradiction.

I don't have any problem with your opinion regarding young people and energy drinks but posts like this and the one where you attempted to cover up your ignorance by doing a quick internet search:

Yes I understand if you was doing extreme exercise like marathons, long distance cycling etc that you would need something else other than water as extreme exercise causes low electrolytes imbalance which causes tiredness, muscle weakness, abnormal heart rhythm and can lead to death if not replenished. Now you say sport drinks replenishes the lost electrolytes, Yet the potassium, which is the main one, magnesium and carbs which is used to replace lost electrolytes is found in other things like coconut water...

don't help your argument.

Acid doesn't dissolve teeth.

By whom?

Sugar doesn't dissolve teeth.

3 points; all incorrect.

Let's have another look at the whole post:

You appear to be suggesting that the previous poster is incorrect in saying that acid "dissolves" teeth but then go on to say that anything which "dissolves" teeth (and, therefore, sugar) is an acid. Can you see the contradiction.

I don't have any problem with your opinion regarding young people and energy drinks but posts like this and the one where you attempted to cover up your ignorance by doing a quick internet search:

don't help your argument.

Acid does dissolve teeth, doesnt it?? ... Yes sugar doesn't dissolve teeth, not sure why I used the word there and for the bit where your saying I'm trying to cover up with an Internet search, obviously I researched it, the debate had changed to sport drinks being any better than other normal products, so once I started to think about sport drinks really, I thought I should research and then give my opinion on why I think sport drinks are as good as anything else.. Was nothing sly going on

They are entirely at fault for doing that. What I mean is that people do believe them so they are entirely at fault for misleading people. Those that take these claims with a large dose of salt and know they are unhealthy are clearly at fault if they drink them. Not everyone does!

I have known coke was really bad for me for as long as I can remember, I got addicted to it as a kid. Thats why its so important for them to get children addicted-before they have the chance to understand how bad the product is!

If you are right then it seems people are so stupid to believe everything they are told without evidence. Where do we stop with regulation. How much cotton wool do we need to wrap people in because they are not capable of making decisions?

If you are right then it seems people are so stupid to believe everything they are told without evidence. Where do we stop with regulation. How much cotton wool do we need to wrap people in because they are not capable of making decisions?

They are backing their claims up with dodgy science. All it would require is offcom (if thats the right one) to do its job properly! Maybe they should not be allowed to claim anything without a link to the relevant studies!

You can't blame people for believing an advert that states x % of people agree it made them run faster when they have neglected to add that this population was measured against a placebo population that had been starved for 24 hours. (as a hypothetical example)

Put it this way, if they had not made any faster, stronger type claims I would agree entirely that they were not at fault in any way.

Yes I understand if you was doing extreme exercise like marathons, long distance cycling etc that you would need something else other than water as extreme exercise causes low electrolytes imbalance which causes tiredness, muscle weakness, abnormal heart rhythm and can lead to death if not replenished. Now you say sport drinks replenishes the lost electrolytes, Yet the potassium, which is the main one, magnesium and carbs which is used to replace lost electrolytes is found in other things like coconut water, even pop like coke and fanta has it in. So drinking a sport drink or drinking fanta during extreme exercise that lasts hours would have the same effect. .. You do know sport drinks are poorly researched ?

Let's take Coca Cola that does have a high level on carbs but all of them carbs come from sugar. One regular can of Coca Cola has nearly 40g of sugar in it. Take an SIS sports drink, 1 500ml bottle contains a high level of carbs just like a can of Coca Cola but only around 2g of that comes from sugar.

1 330ml can of Coca Cola you would take in almost 40g of sugar. 1 500ml bottle of SIS sports drink you would take in around 2g of sugar.

Doesn't take a genius to see that Coca Cola isn't the most idea thing to be drinking in large amounts.

Same goes for coconut water vs a sports drinks. It has been said that it has a similar composition to sport drinks but just like Coca Cola most of the carb content comes from sugar. There has also been research on coconut water vs sports drinks and it's been noted that coconut water can leave you with a bloated feeling vs using sport drinks, which are usually very light on the stomach. The last thing you need to be feeling when pounding the roads of the Peak District or running 25k is bloated.

These sports drinks from manufactures like SIS are high in carbs and the other stuff your body needs but very low in sugar, light on the stomach and are quickly absorbed into the body. Would you really want to be drinking 2 3 4 litres of either fizzy pop or coconut water, me personally when out on a 150km intense ride in the Peak District, most certainly not.

More independent reasearch into the pros and cons of these types of drinks does need doing but you just can't simply compare a can of Coke to a SIS sports drink and don't believe everything a BBC programme tells you.

Edited by robS35