Dinky v Corgi, Hornby v Tri-ang.

I think the model shop on church sreet was called Gordon Joel.

great memory recall from daverad-to remenber Gorded Joel- now what was the shop on the road behind Wilson Gumpets off bottom of Norfolk st.?---seem to remember a shop called Woods

Edited by dennisgwild
spelling

dear dennisjwild, I think the road you are on about was called Change Alley.

I also went to school with SUTman so he should know too.

dinky for me loved them since my childhood

dinky for me loved them since my childhood

I loved dinky cars & toys, lots of people tho forget Hot Wheels, still going strong since 68 :)

I used to get the Dinky military vehicles from Wilson Gumpert. You could buy little sitting down soldiers for about 4d that fitted into the troop carriers. They had a round lug that stuck out of their backsides which fitted into holes in the seats. :hihi:

Back in the 50s I had a Triang boxed set of the London Underground , 3 red carriages running on an oval 3 rail track. I understand that these are now extremely rare and I can't seem to find any info or photos so far.

Think Daverad and docmel are right, shop was called Gordons. I applied for a job there in 1962 repairing Hornby locos but failed to get the job. The other shop mentioned was indeed on Change Alley but cant remember its name. Another couple of shops was Hobbies at the side of the Peace Gardens and one on Leopold Street which was very small and I bought one of the first green and white Dinky Atlantean models there. The very first Atlantean model (red & white) with Regent adverts was bought from Hobbies priced at 7s 11d.

Back in the 50s I had a Triang boxed set of the London Underground , 3 red carriages running on an oval 3 rail track. I understand that these are now extremely rare and I can't seem to find any info or photos so far.

dunno if it will help jog the old memory cells but Ever Ready did an Underground set back in the 50's:

Ever ready Underground trainset

never seen one of those ever ready sets before.

the shop on change alley was WESTERNS