Wentworth Street

You were asking who lived at 53 Fawcett Street. My late grandparents and my father lived at 53 Fawcett Street from approx 1947 until 1957, when the houses were "cleared".

this is what the area looks like currently

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.38585,-1.484218,3a,75y,218.89h,86.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1XrcaUckw4Xdy8h_c8mGSw!2e0!6m1!1e1

Prior to that, they lived in the back to back a few doors away, behind 53 at 3 court 5(?)

According to my father, he remembers a Mrs Stephens who lived at 53 before my grandparents moved there, when my gran lived in number 5 court, she nursed Mrs Stephens before she passed away.

My father also remembers a friend of my grandmothers called Booth, but they lived on Mushroom Lane.

Has anybody got any old photos of Wentworth street. Sheffield 6I used to live at 18/4.moved to Gleadless Valley 1959

Edited by Ann fearn
Hadn't put the name of street in

My wife's family lived on Adelphi Street next to the pub.They were called Bourne and they moved to Summer Street 1960

Whilst I cannot help the original question, I can add that my dad lived in Wentworth Street.  He was Cyril Dickinson. The Dickinsons and the related Hardys seem to have lived in much of Wentworth Street through the years. I  often visited my grandma at 179,. her sister  lived at 181. Various census reports and the 1939 Register also show either Dickinson or Hardy at Wentworth Court, also at Court 8 Wentworth Street, 35 , 37, 183 and possibly 161, 163. 171  At various times they lived in St Phillips' Rd, Hammond St,  Bellfield St, Silver St.

As a child I lived at No.1 Oxford Street so you could say that I have quite a connection.

I remember a greengrocer with a horse & cart calling in Wentworth Street (possibly called George?)

As both grandparents had died before the eventual demolition I don't know where people were rehoused.

Some familiar names there.

All were neighbours of my grandparents,the Wares,who lived at 187 for many years.

I think they lived “over the wall” in the adjoining block of 4 houses.

Also remember ,the names Coley,Brown and Chataway as neighbours.

Back in the days of rag and bone men,knife sharpeners,Cardinal polished door steps and black leaded cooking ranges.

Edited by RJRB

RJRB My great-aunt Edith Hardy was married into the Brown family