Why are our swimmers doing so poorly in the Olympics ?

The phelps freak won because he's a better swimmer than the rest, the teenager won becauses she's also a better swimmer, I don't know why the Brits do so poorly in swimming, all it takes is a pool to practice in,

Thats right, all it takes is a pool to practice in....no coaching, physio, nutrition etc etc

The phelps freak won because he's a better swimmer than the rest, the teenager won becauses she's also a better swimmer, I don't know why the Brits do so poorly in swimming, all it takes is a pool to practice in,

Yeah, a young girl posting a time that is better than the fastest male swimmer on the planet isn't anything to wonder about. Asking whether she might be doping is just sour grapes.

Hold on, it was a US coach that first made the allegation wasn't it?

We Brits love to make excuses. In the Olympics you cant afford to make a mistake. Sometimes its all in the mind.

Thats right, all it takes is a pool to practice in....no coaching, physio, nutrition etc etc

And I`ll bet he never had to work hard in training. Not.

We Brits love to make excuses. In the Olympics you cant afford to make a mistake. Sometimes its all in the mind.

I don`t know about all in the mind, but you`re right, mental attitude and strength of character are just as important as talent, and working hard of course.

Yeah, a young girl posting a time that is better than the fastest male swimmer on the planet isn't anything to wonder about.

It would be something to wonder very much about, if and when it ever happens. It hasn't done yet.

It would be something to wonder very much about, if and when it ever happens. It hasn't done yet.

I was under the impression that it had. Maybe I misheard John Humphries on R4...

It was her final 100m of freestyle, in which she recorded a split time of 58.68sec, that aroused Leonard's suspicion. Over the last 50m she was quicker than the American Ryan Lochte, who won the men's 400m individual medley in the second-fastest time in history .

I was under the impression that it had. Maybe I misheard John Humphries on R4...

Misheard no, but misunderstood, quite obviously.

What happened is that a teenage girl who was flat out going for a world record, swam the last fifty metres quicker than a man who already had the gold medal in the bag and was coasting. That really is not worthy of wonder.

I guess the US coach didn't understand either then, he was probably new to the sport I expect...

If you want to guarantee that they do badly again I suppose that would make sense.