Should all Team GB athletes sing God Save The Queen?

Jerusalem is out, since it is specifically about England. You could, though, make a good argument for England teams using that as their own anthem instead of pinching the British one and pretending it is theirs alone.

Why can't they sing Jerusalem; a great rousing song, or Abide with Me, like at cup finals I love that one. GSTQ no thanks, too outdated
Because they're both Christian hymns? So nobody would want to sing them either ... and you'd offend even more people than the present one manages to do?

They should either write a new one, or just bow to public pressure and go with LHG! :D It'd be like last night of the Proms everytime!

Or ... what about someone setting this to some stirring music ... I've taken a few liberties editing old Will's words to make it more appealing to modern tastes, of course.

This bejewelled throne, this sceptred isle,

This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

This other Eden, this paradise,

This fortress built by Nature for herself

Against infection and the hand of war,

This happy breed, this little world,

This precious stone set in the silver sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall

Or as a moat defensive to a house,

Against the envy of less happier lands,--

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this Britain!

:D

Because they're both Christian hymns? So nobody would want to sing them either ... and you'd offend even more people than the present one manages to do?

They should either write a new one, or just bow to public pressure and go with LHG! :D It'd be like last night of the Proms everytime!

Thought of LHG also, I love Jerusalem, and I think you'll find that almost everyone sings Abide with me @ cup final no bull either, just watch; you'll see singing & flag waving always brings a lump to the throat. :)

I'm not going to say anything against Abide With Me as an emotionally inspirational song, but I don't think it's right for an anthem. A national anthem should be something uplifting.

Land of Hope and Glory would be an excellent choice. Indeed, I believe (an aging memory may be playing tricks on me) that at one time, the England team used to play this as their anthem at the Commonwealth Games.

I'm not going to say anything against Abide With Me as an emotionally inspirational song, but I don't think it's right for an anthem. A national anthem should be something uplifting.

Land of Hope and Glory would be an excellent choice. Indeed, I believe (an aging memory may be playing tricks on me) that at one time, the England team used to play this as their anthem at the Commonwealth Games.

I think you are right

They should sing whatever they feel like singing or not sing at all. Their choice.

They should sing whatever they feel like singing or not sing at all. Their choice.

Well that would look a bit comical,everyone from the same team singing a different song.:D

Jingoistic Nationalistic rubbish. The anthems should be banished and the winner choose their favourite song to be played.

Jingoistic Nationalistic rubbish. The anthems should be banished and the winner choose their favourite song to be played.

:hihi: :hihi:

It should be gold by spandau ballet regardless of which nation wins.

How cool would that be ???!!??

What with the corporate branding / takeover of the Olympics, I'm surprised that Macdonalds or Coca Cola haven't insisted on their jingles being whistled while Team GB PLC reieve their medals :roll: