5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 =?

5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 =?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 =?

Wrong to both last answers 5+5 +5=15-5=10+5+5=20-5+5=20x0 = 0

Oh and BTW the number who arrived at same answer as me is more than rest of pollsters put together iie over 54%

Oh and BTW the number who arrived at same answer as me is more than rest of pollsters put together iie over 54%

That's what is so disturbing, the fact that not only are so many people completely ignorant of the rules of arithmetic, but that some of them are actively defending their ignorance by insisting they are correct.

Multiplication (and division) is performed before addition and subtraction.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=order+of+mathematical+operations

Almost thirty million results; all of which say you are wrong.

Edited by HeadingNorth

That's what is so disturbing, the fact that not only are so many people completely ignorant of the rules of arithmetic, but that some of them are actively defending their ignorance by insisting they are correct.

Multiplication (and division) is performed before addition and subtraction.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=order+of+mathematical+operations

Almost thirty million results; all of which say you are wrong.

Only if you blindly think BODMAS is correct, I was a child in 50's and 60's and we didn't have this bunkum but had a good maths teacher and basic maths was done methodically from left apart from in brackets and multiplication and division did not take priority. We have a poll which contradicts what you say so you dismiss it

Edited by denlin

If you think this is right, then you probably need to revisit your

O level, diploma in business arithmetic

as they will have taught you how to correctly caluclate that sum.

Maths isn't a popularity contest. It's either right or wrong, with no leeway in the middle. 0 is wrong. 15 is right. Ask Google.

Only if you blindly think BODMAS is correct

What exactly is "blind" about following three thousand years of arithmetical practice?

What exactly is "blind" about following three thousand years of arithmetical practice?

3000 years, it wasn't around or taught at Ecclesfield Grammar school between 1962-1966 or at Chaucer adult education in the 1980's when I took my O-level

3000 years, it wasn't around or taught at Ecclesfield Grammar school between 1962-1966 or at Chaucer adult education in the 1980's when I took my O-level

You would have failed your O level if you had not used it, so either you're lying about having one, or - more likely -you simply forgot that you ever had learnt the order of operations.

Only if you blindly think BODMAS is correct, I was a child in 50's and 60's and we didn't have this bunkum but had a good maths teacher and basic maths was done methodically from left apart from in brackets and multiplication and division did not take priority. We have a poll which contradicts what you say so you dismiss it

In that case your maths teacher was completely and utterly wrong, or you misunderstood what was being taught at the time I'm afraid. if you are going left to right in order then that is PN, or RPN, but in this case above that is not the case - multipication terms first which has been the case for centuries

You would have failed your O level if you had not used it, so either you're lying about having one, or - more likely -you simply forgot that you ever had learnt the order of operations.

Wrong on both counts I took it before GCSE's replaced O-levels when exams were worth paper they were written on:roll::roll:

During your o-levels, you will have encounted basic equations, like

5x + 3

Now, if x is 5, you'd calculate that like this:

5x + 3 = 5 x 5 + 3 = 25 + 3 = 28

If x is 0, you'd calculate it exactly the same way:

5x + 3 = 5 x 0 + 3 = 0 + 3 = 3

Now, lets rearrange the equation.

5x + 3 = 3 + 5x

Agree so far?

3 + 5x = 3 + 5 x 0 = 3 + 0 = 3

Multiplication and division are always calculated before you add and subtract. You may not have been taught 'BODMAS', but that doesn't change the order of operations. BODMAS is just a mnemonic to remember the order, not some new fangled technique for calculations you haven't been taught.

Just because more people came up with the wrong answer, it doesn't make that wrong answer correct.

The correct answer is 15 and if you think otherwise, you're wrong.