Pulp in the 1980s

Cheers for the info, Steptoad. Did you have any other impressions other than 'too loud'?

/QUOTE]

Not really, they weren't really my cup of tea at the time, I was a teddy boy, but had gone purely out of curiosity. Strangely the band I play with now occasionally do a rockabilly version of Common People.

I believe Peter 'Dolly' Dalton was playing with them that night, I got to know him a bit some years later, but haven't seen him for years.

I remember seeing Jarvis in the Castle market a few weeks later where a gang of dangerous looking skinheads were teasing him about his struggling beard. With much cool and aplomb he just said "Hey lads, don't mock the beard" and carried on with his work.:hihi:

I know Pete, we used to work together, we went to a huge private Sony party one year in London, thousands of people there, and Pulp played live. The next day Pete was hungover, when I asked why he said "it must have been all the Champagne, they had dustbins full of ice with bottles of Champagne shoved in". Where was this? I asked, I know it was a free bar but did not see the Champagne. "This was backstage" he said. So, intrigued, I aksed him how he got backstage, "because I was a founder member of Pulp", he replied.

I thought he was having me on, but I dug out my old Vinyl album "Bouqet of Steel", looked up Pulp in the book that came with it, and lo and behold, Peter Dalton's name.

Cracking lad!

When Jarvis Cocker lived on Mansfield Road, we lived round the back of his house and used to listen to him and his mates practicing, what a din! :)) who would have thought he would go on to be famous...

We used to drink in the Ball Inn with his mum Christine and her partner, nice lady, full of fun...

Happy days!

I also saw the negatives at the art centre Rotherham, bought their single money talks still got it somewhere ( signed)

Cheers for the info, Steptoad. Did you have any other impressions other than 'too loud'?

Garypeacock and Phil Murray - do you have any particular recollections of that Arts Centre gig...?

I remember Jarvis having Curley hair and glasses the other band vaguely naughtiest girl was a monitor.did the shytots play or that must have been another gig i saw at the art centre. I had the ticket stub for ages somewhere but can't find it now. I was 15 then I'm now 47!

I was at City School when Jarvis was there. I remember his horn rimmed glasses and curly hair. Some friends talked me into going to watch them in the school hall once. I didn't really like em if i'm honest, and i remember thinking, i didn't think they'd go far. Shows what i know!

I was at City School when Jarvis was there. I remember his horn rimmed glasses and curly hair. Some friends talked me into going to watch them in the school hall once. I didn't really like em if i'm honest, and i remember thinking, i didn't think they'd go far. Shows what i know!

You've got admit it took them a long time to get somewhere, but the perseverance has paid off. X factor overnite success wannabees should take note.

My only memory and contact with Jarvis Cocker was as follows:

My nephew Murray Fenton had a band,(can,t remember the name) but they used to play in a room above a pub on West Street, as a doting uncle :loopy: i used to take their gear for them in my car to the pub,on this particular occasion i went upstairs to watch::rolleyes: The band starts playing,and there were a couple of steps upto the stage,(quite a good room as i recall,anyway while i,m watching i notice this young man,curly red hair and glasses,sort of bent over near the steps,dancing around,with this little stool in his hand,totally in a world of his own :hihi: i left after a short while, the sound level,too much for me,:D later i asked my nephew Murray who the guy was dancing with the stool, he replied, "oh that was Jarvis Cocker " To this day (as an avid fan) i thought he was a relative of Joe Cocker still don,t know if he is or not? Memories are made of this lol.