Can the public go to the top of the Arts Tower?

Just wondered if the public can get on the Paternoster and go to the top of the Arts Tower to admire the view?

I know when I was a student pretty much anyone could get in and go up, but is it more secure now? And what about out of term?

Cheers for any advice.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you can. I know you can just walk in and get in a lift without having to show any id. The only concern is to which lift you get, as there are the normal lifts or the Kamikaze lifts. These are lifts that are continually going up and down and don't have doors on them! Good fun though!

You never could go up on your own, I went up before the referb with a friend who works security but I'm told its now locked down and nobody is allowed up to the 19th floor anymore.

When I got up there a couple of years back it was just walk in, Paternoster to the top then through the appropriate door :)

The missus works there and even she cannot get up to the top floor. Doubt anyone would be able to just walk in and get up there.

neither do I as the Paternoster or lift doesn't even go that high.

IIRC it goes to one level below. You have to use the stairwell to get to the top floor.

Ah didn't realise it didn't go to the top, but then I suppose it uses the top floor to rotate the carriages.

I have been up before - I'm an alumuns and had some mates doing Architecture, which was then on the top two floors. I know anyone could walk in and go up in the mid 90s - just wondered if you could now, or if all the doors have swipe readers and code things on.

The paternoster lift doesn't go to the 19th floor. I used to have lectures in a room on the top floor; we had to get off the lift at the 18th floor and walk up the last flight of stairs. I was never keen on the paternoster lift, but the normal lift was always ridiculously full. Quite a few times, I jumped out of the paternoster lift early because I was scared of going too far, although some of my friends went 'around the top' and said it just goes dark and then you come back around the other side.

I used to like reading the stencilled writing on the edges of the floors as the lift went past, I'm not sure if it's still there but it was a good idea, something to read during the journey :)

The top 3 accessible floors are the Architecture Department. They are big open plan floors with fantastic views.

If you are discreet there isn't particularly anything to stop you going up there. Summer holidays would perhaps be your best time to try.

I've taken girls up there for novel dates before - it's pretty spectacular.

Ah didn't realise it didn't go to the top, but then I suppose it uses the top floor to rotate the carriages.

I have been up before - I'm an alumuns and had some mates doing Architecture, which was then on the top two floors. I know anyone could walk in and go up in the mid 90s - just wondered if you could now, or if all the doors have swipe readers and code things on.

The professional service departments (finance, hr) have swipe doors. I don't think the academic departments do though because of all the students coming and going.

Swipe doors are also just magnetic, so are not the hardest things to navigate.