Buying a puppy from ireland?

Hi has anyone paid to have a puppy sent over from ireland? I keep seeing adverts for puppies that can be delivered free of charge from londonderry? Is this right? Or is this "puppy farming" I have heard of people buying dogs abroad for good "bloodlines" but to just buy a puppy from there because there cheaper? And would the puppy need a passport? Has anyone done this? Thanks

I have to admit this does sound like puppy farming! If i were purchasing a puppy i would want to see at least one of the parents and the litter mates etc. I would do your homework before heading this way , as northern Ireland is part of the UK i don't think you would need a passport , I have taken previous dogs on holiday there and didn't need one so i would guess that still applies.

the only reason for going to ireland is indeed for bloodlines, but that's specific to Irish Wolfhounds as far as I know, or fighting dogs

other than that, it's for avoiding laws in this country, such as tail docking

and if it's neither of above, it's most likely puppy farming

the only reason for going to ireland is indeed for bloodlines, but that's specific to Irish Wolfhounds as far as I know, or fighting dogs

other than that, it's for avoiding laws in this country, such as tail docking

and if it's neither of above, it's most likely puppy farming

Neither of the above, I dont want anything illegal and it was a saint bernard i was looking at, Im just suspicious that they can sell and deliver for cheaper than i can pay in the uk? But he's a registered user for a good few years on different "puppy for sale sites" and if there had been any problems wouldnt he be reported? banned?

reported, probably, but if you read around enough you'll find that getting anything taken off a website is incredibly difficult

When you're shopping for a pup, the last thing on your list of criteria should be 'cheap'

get to some dog shows, meet the breeders, mingle a bit, and you'll get to know on the grapevine who and what to look for or avoid :thumbsup:

Edit: no decent breeders need to use 'quite a few puppy for sale sites'. They breed to a waiting list, and show results and word of mouth generate the custom for them

reported, probably, but if you read around enough you'll find that getting anything taken off a website is incredibly difficult

When you're shopping for a pup, the last thing on your list of criteria should be 'cheap'

get to some dog shows, meet the breeders, mingle a bit, and you'll get to know on the grapevine who and what to look for or avoid :thumbsup:

Edit: no decent breeders need to use 'quite a few puppy for sale sites'. They breed to a waiting list, and show results and word of mouth generate the custom for them

Yes i agree, I wasnt looking for a puppy thats "cheap" I was looking for a certain breeder and this one in londonderry kept cropping up and it just made me curious

Wasnt there a scam going around not long ago? spmething along the lines of you send the money and of course the puppy never shows up?

But in answer to the OP dont do it! source a good breeder and be patient a finding a good breeder can take months and then the wait on a waiting list for a pup.

Better still have a look for a breed specific rescue, im sure there must be one.

do they crop up on show results too?

but if you read around enough you'll find that getting anything taken off a website is incredibly difficult

Would agree with that. I have recently twice emailed a very popular dog selling website to report some puppies that are advertised as a specific pure breed and they are nothing of the sort. I am still waiting for a reply 4 days later. Ireland is well known for puppy farming and bad practices so avoid at all costs. If folk didn't buy these pups the breeders would go out of business and that's exactly what they should do.

dont do it. puppy farming is rife over there. better not to risk it. poor little puppy as well going through that journey alone.

If in doubt dont.

I'd avoid at all costs - I would strongly believe there are no puppies anyway and it's a scam (are they asking for money up front? If there are pictures in the advert, are they stock photos?) or they're from a puppy farm. As others have said good breeders don't need to advertise their puppies cheaply all over the internet.

You don't need any pet passports or anything like that for NI - nor for ROI (we go over with our dog regularly).

I nearly fell for this please do not do it is a scam!!!!