From Archive - Anyone remember Jerry Stevens -reply

I have only just found this site and was reading the archives when I came across a topic - 'Does anyone remember Jerry Stevens?' One of the replies said that Jerry had died of a heart attack in his forties.

I would like to reassure everyone that Jerry is still very much alive and is now well into his sixties. I am his cousin and though

I don't see him very often (we both belong to a very large and widespread family), I am often updated about him through my Mum. I last spoke to him myself about 18 months ago at his Father's funeral.

Thank you for raising the question. It's good to know that he hasn't been forgotten.

Hi there

I read about Jerry Stevens.

A boy in my primary school claimed to be a member of Jerry Stevens family.

Do you know if Jerry's family name is Pinder?

I know it sounds silly after all these years, but I am intrigued to know whether my classmate was telling the truth. I believed him at the time but then I also believed that a chick came out of one of the eggs in an eggbox at his home too, which now I think about it, is most unlikely :-)

Clarey

Hi Andromeda,

It's nice to know the "old guy" is still alive and kicking.

I was an apprentice with Jerry at Davy United back in the 1950's.

We used to do a bit of cycling also!!

You mentioned Jerry's dad's funeral, he must have been getting on a bit, he also worked at "Davys".

Jerry served his time in the patern shop, but obviously had his sights set on other things.

Please pass on my regards Peter.

Hi

Jerry's name was, indeed, Pinder.

When I was still at school (I left in 1970) I remember his father (my uncle), telling me that someone had phoned him to ask if it was true that Jerry was related to me. The Pinder family is/was a large family so your school mate probably is related to him.

Hope this helps.

Hi Intake1952

I am replying under my husband's sign in. Thanks for letting me know about you working with Jerry at Davy's. I was never aware that he worked there. There is quite a big age gap between us so I only ever knew of him in showbusiness. I'll tell his sister to pass on your message when she next sees him.

I do remember his father working at Davy's. he also worked with members of my dad's family as well as some friends of mine. He died about three years ago at the age of 92. He was a very lovely man.

Thanks

Andromeda

I have only just found this site and was reading the archives when I came across a topic - 'Does anyone remember Jerry Stevens?' One of the replies said that Jerry had died of a heart attack in his forties.

I would like to reassure everyone that Jerry is still very much alive and is now well into his sixties. I am his cousin and though

I don't see him very often (we both belong to a very large and widespread family), I am often updated about him through my Mum. I last spoke to him myself about 18 months ago at his Father's funeral.

Thank you for raising the question. It's good to know that he hasn't been forgotten.

I think it was me that started the original thread.....his mum used to babysit me and my sister :)....think it was plain talker who replied saying he had passed away....so glad to hear he is alive and well :thumbsup:

Dear Andromeda

I have just heard the tragic news on television about Lennie Bennett and I have been having a look on the internet for information about him. I found your entry on this site regarding Jerry, and I wondered if you had any idea of why they split up as a comedy duo. I thought they were brilliant, and could never understand what had happened.

I am glad to hear Jerry is still OK, as I was another person who thought he had passed away.

Hi Andromeda

I have ben trying to remember who the 'celebrity' was that came to visit his mum in Jessops Hospital when I was in there and came across this thread and his name came to mind. one half of a comedian act? Sheffield's answer to Mike & Bernie Winters. His mum was in the next bed to mine and Jessops made a 'special visiting time' just for him (we were inn for operations not babies!!), beds were made and everyone had to be in bed and informed not to speak to him. I'm very good at banter and between his mum, myself and him we had a good laugh.

No he hasn't been forgotten. My wife and I were only talking about him this morning. A little bit of info----he used to live with his mum just across the road from where we live at Gleadless. We also bumped into him on a pier at Yarmouth ,where we spoke to him as he raided a slot machine for food. We were impressed ,at the time ,with his duo act. Sorry about Lennie.

Dear Andromeda

I have just heard the tragic news on television about Lennie Bennett and I have been having a look on the internet for information about him. I found your entry on this site regarding Jerry, and I wondered if you had any idea of why they split up as a comedy duo. I thought they were brilliant, and could never understand what had happened.

I am glad to hear Jerry is still OK, as I was another person who thought he had passed away.

I knew Jerry in the 60's as we lived a few doors away in The Croft in Sudbury Town. We had a friendly community as most of the residents were all young and newly married and attracted to the "Town House" design on our properties. We are still in touch with Jerry's ex wife Carole who is lovely. Some years ago I played golf at St. Pierre in Wales and who should be carreering towards me in a golf buggy but Jerry - we exchanged reminiscences and promised to keep in touch! Jerry was the organiser of a Showbiz Golf day so he and Lennie's career took similar routes.

.think his sister used to live on Fox Lane at Frecheville

No he is not dead.

He is living on his own in Wembley (divorced)

Yes his original name was Pinder

Up until about a year ago, he organised the golf days for the Variety Club of Great Britain for many years until he retired from this job.

He did not keep in touch with Lenny Bennett, in fact they hardly new each other at all!! They were thrown together by LWT as a comedy duo. After a couple of series they split and went their own ways again.

I hope this answers everyones questions

Ridley S