What's happening to the Gilders site at Banner Cross?

Just wondered if anyone knew what was happeneing with the old Gilders VW site ate Banner Cross??

The For Sale boards have gone, along with the Gilders SEAT sign, and scaffoldings been put up. Someone must know something???

I'm sure someone told me that it's going to be a Marks & Spencers or another Tesco.

With the M&S supermarket down the other end of Eccey Road, then im guessing another Tesco would be a better bet?

With the M&S supermarket down the other end of Eccey Road, then im guessing another Tesco would be a better bet?

Your probably right, although there is a tesco before the M&S on Eccy road, and the tesco on Abbeydale road isnt exactly unreachable.

I believe that it was going to be a M&S, but because of the traffic problems it would cause on this busy junction, it was turned-down and the Eccy Road site adopted.

I thought Tesco were told to sling their hook from a proposed development of this site only a couple of years ago.

I think I'm correct in saying that Ecclesall Rd does no longer has any car dealerships along its length following the recent closure of the former Turret Vauxhall and the old Lex Volvo garages at the bottom end.

I heard that Honda were taking it over.

I used to work at Baldwins round the corner, one of the managers there told me a supermarket owns it, but the one that does can't build anything there because it's too close to other outlets they run (think it falls under competition laws) so their holding onto it, ensuring other supermarkets don't purchase it, or to use it to swap land, that is total grapevine stuff though, but the guy who told me tended to know about these things

There are approved plans for retail/restaurant/flats from September last year - but whether they are going forward with these is any ones guess.

honda have bid for it.tesco pulled out because they would have had to install roundabout at psalter lane jnct to ease traffic.would cost em to much.

honda have bid for it.tesco pulled out because they would have had to install roundabout at psalter lane jnct to ease traffic.would cost em to much.

Gilders now have the Honda franchise on Chesterfield Road at Woodseats, Gilder Honda Sheffield. They've also taken the Honda franchise for Chesterfield and Rotherham. Gilders are motor dealers, not shopkeepers. The Banner Cross premises are well suited to servicing cars. Draw your own conclusions.