New bus fares promotion from First on some Sheffield routes

Guest busdriver1
What make of bus do you drive?

Leyland....... if that is relevant

Is that not what they have just done?

erm, no. the cheaper weekly ticket is only available for selected routes, if you want a first weekly for any route then you are still paying £18:50. when the weekly citywide comes in then they wont be able to charge £18:50 for any of their routes.

No - The vast majority of routes.

1/4/X5/6/7/X13/X14/17/30/32/35/36/37/39/57/69/72/77/85 routes missing the promotion out the current Sheffield routes, the routes I have mentioned it makes sense to leave as they have no competition and possibly don't have the potential for growth. There are 2 sides to this argument: 1 - Reduce fares on all services to simplify fares and aim to increase passenger numbers and take more fares (not necessarily more revenue). 2 - Reduce fares on routes which have competition so people are not going for other operators as they are cheaper, that's what they have done. If it works and they start gaining passenger numbers on the competition routes I would not be suprised to see it ruled out across the board.

Edited by 2101

Guest busdriver1
1/4/X5/6/7/X13/X14/17/30/32/35/36/37/39/57/69/72/77/85 routes missing the promotion out the current Sheffield routes, the routes I have mentioned it makes sense to leave as they have no competition and possibly don't have the potential for growth. There are 2 sides to this argument: 1 - Reduce fares on all services to simplify fares and aim to increase passenger numbers and take more fares (not necessarily more revenue). 2 - Reduce fares on routes which have competition so people are not going for other operators as they are cheaper, that's what they have done. If it works and they start gaining passenger numbers on the competition routes I would not be suprised to see it ruled out across the board.

What on earth do you mean by posting an intelligent comment on here?

The list above contains cross boundary routes (will never be effected) Low patronage routes, and routes that are to be dropped. Non of these are likely ever to be included for obvious reasons.

Guest busdriver1
erm, no. the cheaper weekly ticket is only available for selected routes, if you want a first weekly for any route then you are still paying £18:50. when the weekly citywide comes in then they wont be able to charge £18:50 for any of their routes.

Do you honestly think they will? Is it not obvious that this is a gradual roll out across the network?

What on earth do you mean by posting an intelligent comment on here?

The list above contains cross boundary routes (will never be effected) Low patronage routes, and routes that are to be dropped. Non of these are likely ever to be included for obvious reasons.

However it does lead to the situation where not all Sheffield-Hillsborough buses are included, not all Ecclesall Road buses are included, not all Sheffield-Meadowhall buses are included etc. This is something the driver has to explain every time a promotional ticket is sold leading to delays, especially on a Monday morning when weekly tickets are being renewed.

Do you honestly think they will? Is it not obvious that this is a gradual roll out across the network?

will what? keep the £18:50 weekly? i'd say not, i'm sure they are smart enough to know they will have to do away with it, obviously wont stop selling it until they have to. got to keep the prices low on routes with competition, any other route it's upto them what they charge as they know the passengers have no choice but to pay. like i say the weekly citywide ticket is long overdue, it will hopefully stop confusion and messing around for us drivers:)

Guest busdriver1
However it does lead to the situation where not all Sheffield-Hillsborough buses are included, not all Ecclesall Road buses are included, not all Sheffield-Meadowhall buses are included etc. This is something the driver has to explain every time a promotional ticket is sold leading to delays, especially on a Monday morning when weekly tickets are being renewed.

The average bus driver in Sheffield has to try to first get passengers used to the idea they have to pay at all, different fares pale into insignificance in comparison. Remember who we are talking about here.

Guest busdriver1
will what? keep the £18:50 weekly? i'd say not, i'm sure they are smart enough to know they will have to do away with it, obviously wont stop selling it until they have to. got to keep the prices low on routes with competition, any other route it's upto them what they charge as they know the passengers have no choice but to pay. like i say the weekly citywide ticket is long overdue, it will hopefully stop confusion and messing around for us drivers:)

Its obvious that the 18.50 ticket will very soon be history and will be replaced by the new cheaper prices offered in this promotion. As for citywide, I personally see little or no demand for it. It will be far too expensive in comparison.

Its obvious that the 18.50 ticket will very soon be history and will be replaced by the new cheaper prices offered in this promotion. As for citywide, I personally see little or no demand for it. It will be far too expensive in comparison.

too expensive:huh: if i had to pay for a weekly ticket i'd go for one that could get me on any bus, especially with the amount of routes coming with 2 operators on it. i have been asked many times about a saver to use on any bus so there is some demand, i can see it doing well.

Will be interesting I think - those used to paying £18.50 a week on First then faced with a choice of paying £17 a week for any bus or tram regardless of operator or £11 to stick with one operator - some may go for the £17 option as its still less than they previously paid and allows them to jump on the first bus that turns up - also on routes where a different operator provides the evening and Sunday service this may also prove attractive.

Will be interesting I think - those used to paying £18.50 a week on First then faced with a choice of paying £17 a week for any bus or tram regardless of operator or £11 to stick with one operator - some may go for the £17 option as its still less than they previously paid and allows them to jump on the first bus that turns up - also on routes where a different operator provides the evening and Sunday service this may also prove attractive.

i think in october there are more routes with dual operators on aswell. i think alot of first passengers will buy the citywide rather than just a first saver, not sure about stagecoach passengers, the current saver prices aren't too bad on stagecoach so they may just stick with those