Please help.. 10 yr old child possible ADHD or similar

Someone's got to say it so here goes... have you considered the possibility that her grades haven't improved simply because she is not as bright as you like to think she is?

jb

Or it could be glandular. Consult a medium. Lay some crystals and feathers around a pentagram and light some red tallow candles.

Alternatively, stop trying to have children classified under different invented labels and spending money on quackery. Everyone has some form/level of learning/social disability.

Lol. My information comes from Dr. Robert Melillo, the creator of the Brain Balance Program which treats Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and other neurological disorders. He has wrote a book detailing his treatment, so that people can do it from home. The first part is explaining the reasons for ADHD etc and the second part is the workbook.

The book can be loaned from your local library: "Disconnected Kids" by Dr. Robert Melillo.

Has she had her hearing checked?

Lol. My information comes from Dr. Robert Melillo, the creator of the Brain Balance Program which treats Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and other neurological disorders. He has wrote a book detailing his treatment, so that people can do it from home. The first part is explaining the reasons for ADHD etc and the second part is the workbook.

The book can be loaned from your local library: "Disconnected Kids" by Dr. Robert Melillo.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear. I for one, and especially for any children I may have, would like any medical interventions to be based in science with a clear evidence base rather than in quack quack woo woo land.

The one study presented as evidence for the Brain Balance program does not constitute evidence. While some aspects of the program’s interventions are already used in more conventional programs and might prove helpful to individual children, there is no indication that the theoretical concepts of “functional dysconnectivity,” “brain balance,” or “hemisphere specific training” are clinically useful. The Brain Balance program is based on speculation, not on credible evidence.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/brain-balance/

jb

ETA: I have now wrote a post and referenced it. This means that my post trumps Melillo's book.

Ask for a multi test assessment to done at Ryegate , Dr Sue Gentle is a brilliant dr who is helpful , I have had 2 children in my care under her , she will listen and try to help but i do think you need some kind of assessment ! Please note one child had been in school until the age of 11 and his condition was missed totally by teaches , he was classed as a naughty boy but he had Aspergers/adhd/ and was actually what they call a patchwork child, he is now doing fantastically well gaining GCSEs and A s levels .

She sounds exactly like my nephew aged around 8. He has been diagnosed with ADHD or similar and is on medication which has made little difference. I suspect his behavour is sadly down to his very unsettled and insecure start in life rather than any inherent mental illness.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear. I for one, and especially for any children I may have, would like any medical interventions to be based in science with a clear evidence base rather than in quack quack woo woo land.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/brain-balance/

jb

ETA: I have now wrote a post and referenced it. This means that my post trumps Melillo's book.

I have read the good/bad responses to the website, I have the book and recommend anyone to read it.

dont expect an instant diagnosis from ryegate .my son is 4 and has been going for the last 2 yrs.still no where near he is on the spectrum but where? school have delayed his start to full time he his not ready.still in full time nappys getting violent to his sister .its hard very hard but you will cope.she sounds like an angel to mine good luck with ryegate

I really think that you are worrying unnecessarily chuck.

I've just read and reread your post and have to say that when my daughter was in Y5 and 6 - she showed ALL of the above and more - and continues to at times. You haven't listed one thing that I would be remotely concerned about. Seriously.

I think that it's great that you are obviously very involved in her education but as with most things - we're all different and have different rates and ways of learning. Please don't compare to others. We all want our kids to do well and with your love she will. She sounds like a happy, fun and extrovert girl and you've done a great job.

It's also worth remembering that she is prepubescent so her hormones will be all over the shop too - with moods etc..

Getting upset is a daily occurrence over the slightest thing! - don't expect them to react the same way an adult might - they aren't that developed. I think sometimes we forget how old they are. I remember giving the news of our dad passing away to my brother and sister of 8 and 12 a few years ago. I was met with two kids jumping around the living room chanting "we've got the day off school!" I was utterly livid - but they just don't understand hunny - they are just beginning to learn who they are.

By the way - my daughter never had a dummy and you can't shut her bloody up!!:0)

dont expect an instant diagnosis from ryegate .my son is 4 and has been going for the last 2 yrs.still no where near he is on the spectrum but where? school have delayed his start to full time he his not ready.still in full time nappys getting violent to his sister .its hard very hard but you will cope.she sounds like an angel to mine good luck with ryegate

Presumably Ryegate are assessing your child? what more is it that you think they can do. Diagnosing psychological issues isn't like looking at an x ray and spotting a broken arm.

Presumably Ryegate are assessing your child? what more is it that you think they can do. Diagnosing psychological issues isn't like looking at an x ray and spotting a broken arm.

I think they are well aware of that :rolleyes:!! as they said in their post they know their child is on the spectrum! but not where on the spectrum! when you parent a child with a disability knowing just how much their disability is likely to effect them is obviously VERY important! its not called a spectrum for nothing!.

Edited by mrseggy

I think they are well aware of that :rolleyes:!! as they said in their post they know their child is on the spectrum! but not where on the spectrum! when you parent a child with a disability knowing just how much their disability is likely to effect them is obviously VERY important! its not called a spectrum for nothing!.

Whoa - I have a child with Aspergers so well aware of the spectrum thank you. Just wondering what more the OP thought Ryegate ought to be doing..........as you will know 4 is v young to get a full diagnosis.