Park Hill and Urban Splash Megathread

The Norfolk at the bottom of Dixon Lane .

The new Park Hill residents can use the streets and pathways in the sky to get there[5 mins walk]. That is [or is it was] Town Planning at its very best.

neepsend

Aye Town Planning for Sidney or Starwars. All due respect but I can't see all the young professionals heading downtown for a pint of Stooones. A Hock perhaps at Kings.

Wardsbitter

The area surrounding Parkhill except for the station is largely moribound and just a traffic transit route. Where are the occupants going to have a pint? Trades and Labour Club? Sheffield Tap? It will need A Tesco or two and other community links and its a mammoth task. If -If it comes off it could regenerate the whole area but I wish the politicians who lobbied for it could have done the same for Jessops and other bits of Sheffield Heritage.

I think it was a pinch of "if you build it they will come" followed by lots of crossed fingers.

I referred to Manchester's Northern Quarter at the beginning of this thread. Back then it was on the edge of Stangeways and I didn't think it would work. But a few years on and the place is buzzing with cafes, bars, restaurants, art galleries and indy shops.

The whole thing is a travesty, like most on the lefts ideas about how people should live. Nobody with any sense would want to live in these flats, you can bet the architects and designers responsible wouldn't even consider it.

Erno Goldfinger, who designed the Trellick tower and its sister block, 10 miles away across London, The Balfron Tower, did actually live in the Trellick Tower.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 10:44 ----------

sorry, corrrection, Goldfinger lived in Balfron tower.

The whole thing is a travesty, like most on the lefts ideas about how people should live. Nobody with any sense would want to live in these flats, you can bet the architects and designers responsible wouldn't even consider it.

I have to disagree. If you look past the history of Park Hill and look at it on it's own merits then potentially it's a fantastic place to live...for some.

City Centre location, close to train station, fantastic views across Sheffield.

Like it or loathe it, it's part of Sheffield folklore, it's iconic and done right it could be something we could be proud of.

Personally, if my circumstances were different I'd consider it. I lived on Bard Street, many years ago and in all honestly loved it. Never experienced any trouble, great location.

That aside, the way its been funded leaves a lot to be desired.

What were the alternatives?? It couldn't be knocked down due to its listed status. Even if it could have been knocked down, what would we have got in it's place??...Just another non-descript apartment block.

In a round about sort of way I admire the intentions, I just don't think it's been executed very well. Hopefully it gets finished and the people that live there fulfill its potential and we as Sheffielders support it.

If it weren't for the fact that you can't have dogs or cats in council flats, I'd jump at living on Park Hill.

...and where did this assumption come from that the Park Hill project is a failure? Urban Splash as a company has made a loss, there is nothing in the reports to suggest that the project is a failure (or anything approaching it) and looking at the sales site it seems that there are only a few units left from the first phase.

neepsend

Aye Town Planning for Sidney or Starwars. All due respect but I can't see all the young professionals heading downtown for a pint of Stooones. A Hock perhaps at Kings.

Wardsbitter

I think deep down we are on the same wave length.

If not the same agenda.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 15:05 ----------

If it weren't for the fact that you can't have dogs or cats in council flats, I'd jump at living on Park Hill.

So you buy a flat and then find you have to rehome your dog!

A few lost sales there I would think.

Come on fellers you can't put the whole thing at EH's door. What about the trendy architects and writers on architecture to say nothing of local politicians?

Must have been some approval within the Council's planning department.

The area surrounding Parkhill except for the station is largely moribound and just a traffic transit route. Where are the occupants going to have a pint? Trades and Labour Club? Sheffield Tap? It will need A Tesco or two and other community links and its a mammoth task. If -If it comes off it could regenerate the whole area but I wish the politicians who lobbied for it could have done the same for Jessops and other bits of Sheffield Heritage.

It's been a while, but I remember they were planning to but shops, bars, etc in Park Hill. Is that still going to happen?

I think deep down we are on the same wave length.

If not the same agenda.

---------- Post added 25-01-2013 at 15:05 ----------

So you buy a flat and then find you have to rehome your dog!

A few lost sales there I would think.

Its good of you to say that neepsendlane and I think you could well be right.

Park Hill has only just started that is true. Rightly or wrongly its with us as I have said. Nobody is going to delist it.

Well, this is all very bizarre. The wife of the chief executive of Urban Splash has been found dead in her car outside a cannabis farm, according to the BBC.

Has anyone moved into the Park Hill flats yet? What do you make of them?

I was actively bidding for park hill, but could not get housed their due to 'high demand'. Part of the reason for them 'doing it up' (privatising and subsidising it) was 'low demand'.