Park Hill and Urban Splash Megathread

Interesting article in The Independent:

"Sheffield's Park Hill: Estate expectations

Built by optimistic post-war planners, Sheffield's Park Hill became an urban eyesore. Is there hope for these modernist flats in the 21st century?

By Stephen Kelly

Wednesday, 15 June 2011"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/architecture/sheffields-park-hill-estate-expectations-2297385.html

Does anyone really think this will work? I hope it does, but think it will be a massive challenge to make it work.

Doomed to fail once housing associations get hold of unsellable flats and move scumbags in next to home owners.

I can't see it working. City Centre living needs:

1) A decent old building, usually a former warehouse with character

2) Jobs and leisure facilities within a short walk for the kind of people living in them - or support if its out of the immediate centre (Northern Quarter in Manchester for example)

3) To have been done ten years ago. The "city centre living" boom has been and gone.

Doomed to fail once housing associations get hold of unsellable flats and move scumbags in next to home owners.

agree, it's the people that will make or break it, and once you get renters in the place will go downhill

agree, it's the people that will make or break it, and once you get renters in the place will go downhill

Prices have gone throught the roof in the past 15 years though, so much so that youngsters cant afford to buy, renting is the only way some people will get into a place of their own.

Gone are the days when you can get a 3 bed semi for under £20,000.

What it needs is not a judgement that all people paying rents are scum.

Prices have gone throught the roof in the past 15 years though, so much so that youngsters cant afford to buy, renting is the only way some people will get into a place of their own.

Gone are the days when you can get a 3 bed semi for under £20,000.

I never said that, I said housing associations. I know of someone who lives up in Norfolk Park, bust a gut to buy a house, and then only realised in exactly the same houses behind them is a row of scumbags who get the houses for next to nothing through Places for People.

Moving in these kind of people next to those who buy a house and actually care about it will lead to nothing but problems.

Of course not all people paying rents are scum, that is an absurd assumption to make, but its the people that don't even pay their own rents that seem to be the problem.

People tend to care less about a property that is not theirs, then that extends to the immediate area.

They should sell a % of the apartment if people can't own the whole thing, then they will take care of it.

People tend to care less about a property that is not theirs, then that extends to the immediate area.

They should sell a % of the apartment if people can't own the whole thing, then they will take care of it.

they are......

i do resent the idea that seems to prosper that tenants = filth. filthy people = filth. that's a left over bit of 80's Tory propaganda if I've ever seen!

Of course not all people paying rents are scum, that is an absurd assumption to make, but its the people that don't even pay their own rents that seem to be the problem.

Indeed. Paying a ridiculous amount like £80 a week to live in a shiny new 3 bedroomed house, and all that is met by the taxpayer. Honestly, you should see one of the back gardens of one of these houses, looks like the battlefield at the Somme.

They genuinely could not care less about their surroundings. And why not? They dont pay a penny to live there!

i do resent the idea that seems to prosper that tenants = filth.

If you'd ever rented an ex-student house you'd see where people get that idea from

These flats could be good, they will have great views of the city, are close to the centre and are probably much bigger than the new builds. I still can't see it being a very nice place for very long, too many scrubbers about.