Bosch Exxcel Washer Dryer not draining

I have a bosch exxcel washer dryer, around 4 years old.

It has been getting stuck at the end of the cycle on 1 minute on most cycles, but always works on super quick programme with no problems.

Over the weekend, even the super quick is failing to drain the water away, with water sat in the drum.

The filter is clear.

Out of curiosity, I disconnected the waste pipe from its normal drain point (it connected to the u-bend of the waste pipe from the kitchen sink). The trap and pipework are clear, and and although there is a bit of gunk on the inside of the hose - it appears to be clear.

The sink drains very rapidly - i.e. if I fill it and take the plug out it is free draining, so I dont think this is the problem.

I then placed the hose in a bucket on the floor and ran the normal cycle - and hey presto - it completed the cycles without stopping.

Could it be the pump ?- I am wondering if placing the hose in the bucket allows the pump to discharge more freely - I did notice that when the drum discharged quite a lot of the grey gunk lining the waste hose was flushed out, but appears to be free flowing. Also if the bucket is on the floor then presumably the pump requires less effort to discharge to water?

Would it be better to have a dedicated waste outlet rather than inlet boss on side of sink waste?

Or is it something else?

I ran the machine on 90 deg C cycle as well, and there is no issue with heater.

Placing the hose in a bucket low down allows the machine to syphon the water out, and continue the programmme.

Pump may be problem. When the water is out, recheck the pump impeller is turning (put it on a drain prog). Mine had a piece of plastic stopping it turning.

If it IS turning it may be the pump itself.

(prepare for water leak when you check the filter)

Placing the hose in a bucket low down allows the machine to syphon the water out, and continue the programmme.

Pump may be problem. When the water is out, recheck the pump impeller is turning (put it on a drain prog). Mine had a piece of plastic stopping it turning.

If it IS turning it may be the pump itself.

(prepare for water leak when you check the filter)

Thanks for your reply

Impeller rotates fine and during cycle pump discharges happily (i.e. not via syphoning).

Cant understand why it discharges happily to a bucket and not to the waste connection (and why its suddenly decided its not happy)

I think it might be worth replacing pump - which appears to be relatively simple procedure.

Cheers

The heater will have packed in on it. Basically, it hasn't got up to temperature so it just keeps washing and washing.

Well, according to the white goods forum (or whatever it's called), that's the most likely explanation. Happened to ours. I can't say that that is the answer for definite as obviously it could be different and, we never actually fixed ours - just replaced the machine. You can't get a generic heater element for a Bosch so they cost a fortune.

The '1' message is actually an error code rather than the number of minutes left. It's a bit confusing as the minutes do count down but then just 'stick'. Sometimes our machine would finish but, when it then kept going overnight, all night, we knew it was time to get it sorted or get rid.

G

EDIT - sorry - ignore the above. Thought it was a dishwasher. Only when I reread your post and saw the word 'drum' did I click that it was a washing machine.

This is a good forum - someone will likely have had the same problem

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/viewforum.php?f=45

Edited by big_g

The heater will have packed in on it. Basically, it hasn't got up to temperature so it just keeps washing and washing.

Well, according to the white goods forum (or whatever it's called), that's the most likely explanation. Happened to ours. I can't say that that is the answer for definite as obviously it could be different and, we never actually fixed ours - just replaced the machine. You can't get a generic heater element for a Bosch so they cost a fortune.

The '1' message is actually an error code rather than the number of minutes left. It's a bit confusing as the minutes do count down but then just 'stick'. Sometimes our machine would finish but, when it then kept going overnight, all night, we knew it was time to get it sorted or get rid.

G

EDIT - sorry - ignore the above. Thought it was a dishwasher. Only when I reread your post and saw the word 'drum' did I click that it was a washing machine.

No worries, thanks for reply

Actually, having looked at that forum that I mentioned, it may be the heater.

Do you know how to check the resistance across the heater?

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/post338305.html#p338305

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/post334847.html#p334847

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/post331692.html#p331692

G

HI, RING A.1 domestics, 07909987565 hi will sort it thanks, ASAP

You might want to take off the pump inlet pipe, and check for blockages. The last time my washer did this, there were items stuck in it. To get at it on my Bosch washer I had to take the back cover of the machine off.

You might want to take off the pump inlet pipe, and check for blockages. The last time my washer did this, there were items stuck in it. To get at it on my Bosch washer I had to take the back cover of the machine off.

Thanks for your replies.

Ref heater - not sure, you might be right, however even simply running the drain programme does not activate pump properly and I would have thought it would be dependent on heater element??

I have ordered a compatible pump online - and will swap it over

If there's a blockage at the inlet, I'll have a spare pump!