Sky Broadband Speeds

With sky 14 meg rarely have speed issues cheap and good service.

Shame im in bradway and you dont offer it, there are only 1000's of homes around here as well!!

Well its not enabled in bradway!!

Surely this is BT wholesales fault?.And the not the ISP's?.Unless they are actually rolling this stuff out themselves.

No, there is only one line rental, not one for BB and one for phone.

Thats not what the other guy was saying,which is why I don't understand:suspect:.

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify, any Digital Region broadband connection requires just 1 line rental. For example if you just want the line for broadband then you can pay your line rental and broadband to us and you wont pay anything else.

Example Breakdown:

Origin Line Rental : £11.49

Origin 24/10 Fibre Broadband : £17.50

Total : £28.99 (for everything no other bills to pay)

Second example if you have a BT line and you want to keep that for calls then you can pay BT your line rental and Origin for your broadband

Example Breakdown 2:

BT Line Rental : £14.60

Total: £32.10 (for everything no other bills to pay)

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Origin

Surely this is BT wholesales fault?.And the not the ISP's?.Unless they are actually rolling this stuff out themselves.

My exchange is fibred up no problem!!

My exchange is fibred up no problem!!

Well it does seem a little strange then.

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify, any Digital Region broadband connection requires just 1 line rental. For example if you just want the line for broadband then you can pay your line rental and broadband to us and you wont pay anything else.

Example Breakdown:

Origin Line Rental : £11.49

Total : £28.99 (for everything no other bills to pay)

Second example if you have a BT line and you want to keep that for calls then you can pay BT your line rental and Origin for your broadband

Example Breakdown 2:

BT Line Rental : £14.60

Total: £32.10 (for everything no other bills to pay)

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Origin

thanks for clearing that up.

So originB are you going to roll out to all fibred up areas of sheffield then or just a select few?

Dawny1970,

We currently utilise Digital Region's infrastructure to provide broadband. This has been rolled out to the majority of South Yorkshire and as a growing local company, we're really passionate about getting super fast services to everyone in our area. Before i took Origin's service, I was getting 0.8Mb in Edlington!! If someone was 'off grid' as far as a DR connection is concerned, then there may be other options.

Anyone suffering can PM me a number to get them on, or give us a call on 0800 206 23 33 and I'll see if I can help!

Edited by Origin_Pete

Has anyone with existing DLS had any problems moving from BT to another telephone line supplier? I hate BT, everything about them! I hate the way when you ring them they have multiple choice menus and you press all the correct buttons and just get a recorded message, which has nothing what-so-ever to do with the the problem you want to discuss (there was a time you could just not press any butttons at all and it automatically put you through to a real person - they seem to have got "wise" to that), I hate the way they penalise you for not having DD (I refuse to have DD with them - they once billed me accidently twice for a quarterly payment about 2 weeks before Christmas leaving us practically skint until after new year).

I once had them as an ISP (many years ago) and they were by far the worst I've ever had (of any utility provider!).

Also, when you ring them you're never talking to the right person or department (yeah right!) and they just pass you to another department, who pass you to another department, and so on, I've been in situations where I've spent an hour been passed from person to person just to end back up talking to first person or department I bloody spoke to in the first place! They also have some weird mixture of British/Indian call centre thing going on, one minute you're talking to someone in Mumbai and the next to someone in Scotland. Several times I've been on hold for 15-20 minutes just to be cut straight off as soon as they answer.

I've been considering moving from them for years, but read numerous horror stories of people being disconnected from the net for weeks or even months on end after the swap has occured Which is the only reason I've tolerated them for so long, of course, it's entirely probable that they are a tiny minority (people don't bother posting to say "everything went fine").

I'm thinking of moving to O2, they have a complete all day, everyday call's included package for £16 a month (we still tend to make a lot of landline phone calls despite having mobiles) which is less than I'm paying BT for line only! I know there are cheaper out there, but I have O2 as my ISP and we have 3 mobiles on O2, so having a single point of contact seems to be the way forward (not least because, if something does go wrong during the transaction I'm thinking O2 would be slightly more inclined to fix it asap due to the other services we have them). Also O2 customer service is second to none IMHO. British call centres (one of which is in Sheffield I believe?). And they don't seem to be "on the clock" like other call centres, so don't hurry you through the conversation.

Anyway, back to the original question, has anyone changed line supplier mid-way through an ADSL contract? Was there any downtime? Is it the nightmare it appears to be having read internet forums? Or did you not even notice the difference?

I was with Sky, O2, Orange, BT and more before I escaped ADSL, and downtime was generally minimal. One thing I did notice was that the speeds could change at the providers whim. Whether this was due to a new profile or simply traffic management, I can say that O2 and Orange were the fastest. I literally went from 2.4Mb to 0.8 when I left Orange to move to Sky mid way through my Orange contract.

As far as sky were concerned, that was the max my line could support - despite the fact I was on a 3 times faster connection the week before!

Sky have a nasty habit of putting long lines on ADSL not ADSL2+. A friend of mine on exactly the same cabinet as me, with a line about 220m shorter than mine, got about 2Mbit less than me because he was on Sky and I was on Be.

Even Be said they would usually be reluctant to put lines like mine on ADSL2+, yet I tested the line and 2+ gave me an extra meg of downstream and as I recall about 300Kbit more upstream.

At the end of the day, ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL2 are all designed to automatically scale back as the distance increases. Unless you have a really crappy modem and/or a very dodgy line, it shouldn't be necessary to force an older DSL profile for stability, it should handle it automatically.

This is why I cannot understand the current setup at Digital Region where nobody (at least residential) is allowed to sync higher than 70Mbit, as with the right settings it should "just work" as fast as possible.

Edited by AlexAtkin