Sky Broadband Speeds

Thinking of getting sky broadband in S5

Family of 3 all needing use at same time with various devices so good speed required.

Anyone know what speeds are like please ?

rubbish.i got rid of them months ago.bt infinity is 10 times better.sky always slowed down at night and problems connecting.as u say you pay for what you get

Speeds, as any provider will tell you depend on distance from your nearest exchange not including services like Virgin/Infinity/Digital Region.

I'm with Sky Broadband and I'm roughly 600 metres in cable length (estimated by BT engineer). I see peak speeds of 14.1Mbps, which is shared across 8 devices in my home, 4 of which are wired connections (2 PCs, Sky decoder & Xbox) with the other 4 of course being wireless (2 notebooks & 2 smartphones).

It's extremely rare that I have and speed issues, even when most of these devices are being used. I'm on the unlimited package and I've never seen any form of throttling or bandwidth restriction.

You can pretty much dismiss charliewagg's post. I suspect he went for the cheapest option with Sky and went over his contracted limits therefore was subjected to the penalties outlined in the contract he agreed.

Also fibre-optic broadband is designed to be faster, comparing ADSL to fibre optic is like comparing a family hatchback to a sports car in terms of performance.

If you do this speed test, it will tell you the speeds in your area, and what company it is.

Do the test, then at the results page with the graph, look at the top right, click 'Street Stats' and it will tell you what speeds your neighbours are getting, and who they're with.

Speeds, as any provider will tell you depend on distance from your nearest exchange not including services like Virgin/Infinity/Digital Region.

I'm with Sky Broadband and I'm roughly 600 metres in cable length (estimated by BT engineer). I see peak speeds of 14.1Mbps, which is shared across 8 devices in my home, 4 of which are wired connections (2 PCs, Sky decoder & Xbox) with the other 4 of course being wireless (2 notebooks & 2 smartphones).

It's extremely rare that I have and speed issues, even when most of these devices are being used. I'm on the unlimited package and I've never seen any form of throttling or bandwidth restriction.

You can pretty much dismiss charliewagg's post. I suspect he went for the cheapest option with Sky and went over his contracted limits therefore was subjected to the penalties outlined in the contract he agreed.

Also fibre-optic broadband is designed to be faster, comparing ADSL to fibre optic is like comparing a family hatchback to a sports car in terms of performance.

sorry i disagree with your comments i was with them for over 4 years and i was on unlimited. we have an xbox laptop and computer working all at the same time.over the last year the connections were getting worse.kept logging out of my xbox account and lagging all the time.my exchange is only down the road from me.so thats the reason i left.if you go on there forum there has always been issues with there broadband.

Sorry - a bit late replying to this, but if you haven't decided yet you should look at South Yorkshire's own independent fibre network offering speeds of up to 40, 60 or even 80 meg. Go to http://www.littlebigone.com/index/availability to check what speed you could be getting at your postcode!

Origin broadband are a local company who operate over fibre.

Feel free to give us a call on 0800 206 23 33 :-)

My sister is with sky broadband, between 4pm - 10pm her speeds drop down to less then 1 meg.

On the other hand i have moved from O2 to bt infinity a lot better then O2, getting speeds of 35-40 meg download, and upto 10 meg upload.

Date/Time Up Down

6th September 2012 16:06:03 5460 Kbps 39823 Kbps

Average Speeds: 5460 Kbps 39823 Kbps

Edited by mmitchell

So who's better,Origin or littlebigun??...FIGHT!.

Who's closer if you need help! We have local engineers and local offices!

We wanted to nick the phrase 'good honest broadband from Yorkshire', but it's owned by BT Group of all companies :sad:

MoZaLaN, I was getting 0.8 with sky (2.4Mbps with O2) and now i get 65/25 on the same line. Morning, noon and night :D

I'm with SKY and I'm always getting over 14 mb... Doesn't matter if it's morning, noon or night.

But planning to switch to Origin as upload speed with SKY is 0.8 mb and never been more than that.. Origin offers 10 MB upload.. Will give them a try.

Another HAPPY Origin customer with BT, Sky and Plusnet I was getting 1.03 mb and like you never changed now on the lowest tariff with Origin (Ignition at £17:50 pm) I get 23.9mb download

I was at first getting dropouts and after reporting it it was sorted within a couple of days