First Class Degree- Cant get a job

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Teach!

We need science teachers....especially ones with charisma and social skills.

Not to be difficult, but the concept of a science teacher with charisma and social skills doesn't quite gell..... :suspect:

StarSparkle :D

I'm sure if you keep trying, then eventually you will succeed ... if not where you live now, there are jobs out there in the wide world for people with an education - and you've got age on your side.

It could be worse, I've got a 1st class hons degree and am out of work (redundant - excess to requirements) ... on the scrapheap at the age of 50. Nobody will give me a real job - because plenty of people like you will do it for a much lower salary.

No state help for people like me either - I don't qualify for UB, Social Security or anything else. What a great country we live in (NOT)..

If you've been paying National insurance contributions then you're entitled to Unemployment Benefit I'm sure...

Anyhow Crapita are always looking for graduates on minimum wages - give them a ring at Nunnery

Originally posted by StarSparkle

Not to be difficult, but the concept of a science teacher with charisma and social skills doesn't quite gell..... :suspect:

StarSparkle :D

Hey I had a fabulous physics teach for my O levels (ooops just given away how old I am!) and got an A for it then a lousy one for my A levels and it all went pear shaped! While I can't blame this on my teachers they do certainly have an impact! And no we scientists aren't ALL white labcoat wearing geeks with no social skills :P

Originally posted by Internetowl

If you've been paying National insurance contributions then you're entitled to Unemployment Benefit I'm sure...

Anyhow Crapita are always looking for graduates on minimum wages - give them a ring at Nunnery

Not anymore - they changed the rules and now it's means tested. My redundancy payments and savings are all taken into account, hence I get nothing except my NI Stamp paid ... and for that I would need to sigh once every two weeks. That's all you get for working for 30 years and never claiming anything. If I'd frittered everything away and been totally irresponsible, they'd roll out the red carpet and give me benefit and pay my Council Tax ... in this country, any saving are held against you.

and now you've declared your savings they'll want to know where it went before helping you - should have stashed it elsewhere....

;)

Originally posted by evildrneil

Hey I had a fabulous physics teach for my O levels (ooops just given away how old I am!) and got an A for it then a lousy one for my A levels and it all went pear shaped! While I can't blame this on my teachers they do certainly have an impact! And no we scientists aren't ALL white labcoat wearing geeks with no social skills :P

:( Sorry, Evildrneil - I stand corrected. Only 98% of science teachers have no charisma or social skills! :P

And scientists as socially-challenged, white lab-coat weaing geeks? Perish the thought! :cool:

Only kidding..... :)

StarSparkle

As Ive said before education is meaningless at present.

There is no work to be had.

Millions are chasing non existing opportunities, carry on in higher education and as Mr Micawber says 'hope something will turn up' because they have us by the balls

Sorry to be so negative, its just the way it is

Education isn't meaningless, even if it doesn't shoot you onto the career path you'd always dreamed of.

I'm doing my degree because I'm really interested in it, and I feel like its enriching my mind. I probably won't earn much more when I graduate than I would have done if I'd gone straight into work after my A levels but I love the degree I do and the life that I have.

I admit to watching my mounting debt with apprehension but if you are careful with money its manageable. I have managed with a series of crazy part time jobs that have really taught me a lot.

Education isn't just about getting on the right career path, and neither is life - a lot of people I know that have achieved a lot have done it outside of their careers.

Sorry I came across there in the wrong sense.

To me education is the be all and end all of life

If I went a single minute without learning something, I have wasted that minute.

I meant it was useless to the capilalist swine who are using us

I apologise for any offence

No offence taken :)

I get sick of people (not you) telling me my degree isn't 'worth' anything when to me its worth more than money. After all, for everything else there's mastercard...:hihi:

Originally posted by kathythebean

I'm doing my degree because I'm really interested in it, and I feel like its enriching my mind. I probably won't earn much more when I graduate

How is the degree in advanced mooneying going?