Then I lost my job . . .

I don't get what the cryptic text mean confused face

I don't get what the cryptic text mean confused face
It's a little smiley face with question marks above. Flyer used it as an aid to pretend he didn't know who Tony Currie was.

I remember the last time I was in The Tolgate

Now you are in my old neighborhood, its no longer called the Tollgate, but the Bay Horse and the Pitmoor Inn are still there --- not that you would want to visit them these days :-( PS, lost my job here in June.

An interesting tale.... I will shortly be back in Sheffield. My third visit back home to see the family. I can't wait to catch up with my old mates and also show my new ozzie bf around the town that I grew up in.

An interesting tale.... I will shortly be back in Sheffield. My third visit back home to see the family. I can't wait to catch up with my old mates and also show my new ozzie bf around the town that I grew up in.

Look what I found :)

I still pinch myself when I drive past the brindabellas on my way to work....I just love it here. I am having my citizenship ceremony on the 23rd Feb and that will be a bonus for me.

I am heading back to Sheffield though over Easter to see the family - this may be the first and last time I ever visit - who knows

(especially for Sharrovian)

. . . not far to go now, down the hill towards Firvale, but I must make one more detour. Mum will forgive me, besides, she doesn't even know I'm here (I hope the surprise is not too much for her) I turn up Osgathorpe Road, my knees are shaking, I'm out of breath, there's a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach - fear or longing?

I can't believe it! The park bench is still there, overlooking the hill where dad had his allotment. That was a long time ago.

We had missed the last bus again and had to walk from town, her mum would go bezerk. We sat right here on this bench, just the two of us and the twinkling lights of Sheffield. I said to her "Lets go to Australia" and she said "OK then".

It was 1971, Sheffield was on the move and so were we.

But I will be back. When I get this job, I will be back. I miss you so much.

please excuse my ignorance but who the hell is tony currie:confused::confused:

Nobody important, flyer. He used to play for a Division 3 team, I think. And he was very "parshelled" to Indian food. :hihi::hihi:

To the OP: Your posting leaves me :huh: It is very well written (apart from the bit about meeting someone who gave you a curry), with a mystifying ending. Was it all a dream or true story? Or, are we supposed to figure it out?

Nobody important, flyer. He used to play for a Division 3 team, I think. And he was very "parshelled" to Indian food. :hihi::hihi:

To the OP: Your posting leaves me :huh: It is very well written (apart from the bit about meeting someone who gave you a curry), with a mystifying ending. Was it all a dream or true story? Or, are we supposed to figure it out?

Thank you rogG,

The beginning is very real. I started saving for and planning a trip home just as the first post described, but when I lost my job and had to shelve the idea, I dreamed how it might happen instead. 95% of the details are true, I'll let you figure out the 5% that aren't.

Thanks for a really captivating story, I enjoyed it and think you could well make a career out of storytelling, you certainly have the knack.