Photographing big fish.

Now before anyone thinks I'm having a dig I really am not, but I am curious.

When anglers catch big fish especially Carp why do they always hold the fish toward the camera. Is there some reason I'm missing, it's obvious that most of the fish photoed (if that's a word) are really big, so why hold them out toward the camera? making them appear bigger.

Now before anyone thinks I'm having a dig I really am not, but I am curious.

When anglers catch big fish especially Carp why do they always hold the fish toward the camera. Is there some reason I'm missing, it's obvious that most of the fish photoed (if that's a word) are really big, so why hold them out toward the camera? making them appear bigger.

Usually to show the fish and the person who caught it.What other way would it be held,behind the back?

Usually to show the fish and the person who caught it.What other way would it be held,behind the back?

And there’s always one who has to try to be a smart ar$e.

Im pretty sure what Sheff 13 was trying to say is why do people who catch big fish, instead of just holding them in front of themselves with bent elbows, stretch their arms out so that the fish is closer to the camera, which in effect makes the fish look larger in perspective to the holder.

In my opinion I guess its to show off the fish’s features better as a lot of these bigger fish have distinctive & attractive markings whilst also keeping their face in the picture so they can prove to their mates that they caught something. :D

Thanks sully a short concise explanation, just what I asked for.

As for matsellah I think the less said the better.

Only idiots hold fish out in front of them. If a good sized fish flaps you haven't got a chance of holding onto it, and that's why proper Carp anglers wouldn't do it.

It's got nothing to do with showing the fishes features, a decent photo will have the frame filled with the angler and fish anyway. People do it to try and make the fish look bigger, shame it doesn't work as anyone looking at the photo can also see the giant hands holding it.

You can only really do it with small-mid sized fish up to high teens, which is why it tends to be noddies that do it. I've had fish to 38lb 13oz (the ones in my avatar is 'half tail' from Sally Walshes @ 25lb 8oz) and you won't be holding that at arms length :hihi:

Edited by Rob_1

I was only curious because it seems to becoming more prevalent at a venue I fish that holds fish in the mid range as far as Carp go.

It mostly to me appears that a large proportion of anglers never take the fish out of the landing net, there's a good few anglers recently I've noticed like to take photos & do the arms stretched thing.

I also think it's a little harsh to call anglers not up to your standard as noddies, but it does seem wrong.

I was only curious because it seems to becoming more prevalent at a venue I fish that holds fish in the mid range as far as Carp go.

It mostly to me appears that a large proportion of anglers never take the fish out of the landing net, there's a good few anglers recently I've noticed like to take photos & do the arms stretched thing.

I also think it's a little harsh to call anglers not up to your standard as noddies, but it does seem wrong.

Yeah, as I said it does tend to be middle range fish caught by pleasure anglers that are held like that.

I wasn't using 'noddy' like that, it's just what a lot of carp only anglers use to describe pleasure fishing - it's not derogatory and doesn't have anything to do with fishing ability (believe me lots of so called 'carp anglers' only go fishing to get out of the house for the weekend and get p*ssed, whilst catching nothing in the process)

When I go and do a bit of float fishing I call myself a noddy too, I see it as an affectionate term although I guess it maybe didn't start out like that :)

its a way of makeing the fish look bigger than it is,but like the comment said ABOVE only a idiot would hold a fish big fish out infront of them,after all the safety of the fish comes first before the photo

Yeah, as I said it does tend to be middle range fish caught by pleasure anglers that are held like that.

I wasn't using 'noddy' like that, it's just what a lot of carp only anglers use to describe pleasure fishing - it's not derogatory and doesn't have anything to do with fishing ability (believe me lots of so called 'carp anglers' only go fishing to get out of the house for the weekend and get p*ssed, whilst catching nothing in the process)

When I go and do a bit of float fishing I call myself a noddy too, I see it as an affectionate term although I guess it maybe didn't start out like that :)

It's the kind of angler that appears not to be used to catching big fish.

The noddy term didn't offend me Rob, but some fish photographers are very touchy as one post already proved. I was defusing :D

We all hope every session that taking a trophy shot of our latest catch will something we will have to do. However after running a photo gallery for a local club for a number of years and witnessing on the bank many times, it is clear a lot of anglers do not know how to get a good shot of their capture. Below are a few tips for getting top trophy shots so you are not disappointed.

Get a digital camera

Probably the most essential piece of modern fishing Photography these days and definitely worth the investment. A good digital camera these days can cost as little as £50 and still take excellent shots. position camera usually on a mini tripod on a bucket or bedchair, this allows correct framing of the shot every time without the need for a bulky full size tripod.

Be able to do self take shots

Having completed the set-up steps above the biggest aid is having a camera with a self-take infra-red trigger This cut out the problem of holding a fish still for the split second shot on a timer.

Hold your fish correctly

Out of all the points this one is the most important. I have seen so many people with shots of lovely fish yet they are cuddling and cradling them like a baby. Make sure you have your hands underneath the fish to start, front hand near the pectoral fin just with a finger either side, the other towards the tail. Present the fish with your arms straight out or slightly bent. The fish should be held vertically, if it begins to flap or wiggle immediately roll the fish gentle back onto your resting forearms until it calms down and then pop it back into position again. You can position yourself crouched or on one or two knees its up to you. Try not to hold the fish to far away from you body as this distorts the perspective and makes a fish look bigger than it actual was. With larger fish of the 30lb plus bracket I like to crouch with my knees together and rest my forearms on my legs, this not only presents the fish well but also takes some of the strain of holding the fish off your arms.

With just a small amount of preparation you can ensure that when the fish of a lifetime makes an appearance you are ready to record it for posterity.

i class my self as a experienced carp angler and would never hold a fish (not just a carp) with straight arms i like my elbows bent with my fingers further round the body so if it flips i can pull my arms towards my body also if you hold a fish touching your clothing its the same effect as wrapping it in a towel it removes vital slime of the fish