Little Big One Vs Origin

Hi all

As the title really, I'm in the market for a new BB provider and its going to be either of the 2! Pro's and Con's?

I have a question, I know I need a phone line nut has it got to be a BT or their own? Or could it be Sky etc?

Cheers

Origin do a budget package for £17.50 which is 24 download and 10 upload, which for the vast majority of people will be ample. All the other Digital Region providers start around £25 for 40/10ish. Little Big One has a TV package unlike the others. Otherwise not much to choose between them.

As far as the phone line is concerned it has to be a line where the physical line to the exchange is managed by BT Openreach. Essentially that's all providers apart from Virgin Media.

Little Big One:

"We actively monitor and manage the network performance of littlebigone.com internet services to ensure that we provide

a sustainable and high quality internet service to our customers; during times of high demand we may prioritize

applications such as browsing, email and VOIP. This means that certain applications which use up a lot of bandwidth (for

example peer-to-peer file-sharing, large file downloads and newsgroups), which have a negative effect on other

customers, may run slower at peak times."

Origin have no such limitation that I am aware of as they are currently maintaining enough network capacity to not need traffic management.

Hi clarkey2r,

littlebigone.com would love to help you with a service. We can offer you superfast or ultrafast broadband, line rental, phone services (with unlimited landline calls to 01, 02 numbers Anytime) and also a great new TV service. We have some special offers in addition to the pricing on our website. If you need some help with this please give us a call on 0800 652 8288.

All our customers get access to our 24hrs per day, 7 days per week, 365 days we year support service.

Also we are an experienced company who have been trading for over 11 years as an ISP, so we know what we are doing!

I hope this helps you, but if you have any questions, please let us know.

littlebigone.com

Little Big One:

"We actively monitor and manage the network performance of littlebigone.com internet services to ensure that we provide

a sustainable and high quality internet service to our customers; during times of high demand we may prioritize

applications such as browsing, email and VOIP. This means that certain applications which use up a lot of bandwidth (for

example peer-to-peer file-sharing, large file downloads and newsgroups), which have a negative effect on other

customers, may run slower at peak times."

Origin have no such limitation that I am aware of as they are currently maintaining enough network capacity to not need traffic management.

Hi AlexAtkin,

I just wanted to point out the work MAY, not WILL which appears in the statement above statement :-)

Also just to point out, as a rule we do not restrict, traffic-shape or block access to the Internet. However, should someone on our network engage in an activity that severely hampers other user's services (for example if they get a virus), we reserve the right to add some kind of control on that user's access.

Power-users who like to use peer-to-peer applications, or generally do heavy downloading are not normally counted as "activity that severely hampers other user's services", so don't panic if you think this applies to you.

We are legally obliged to point out these possibilities to all our customers, but they are genuinely there for protection and quality, not just to blindly restrict anyone.

Thanks

littlebigone.com

Very good points.

In fact, Origin MAY mention something about it too by now as I haven't checked their terms and conditions recently.

We have some special offers in addition to the pricing on our website.

Care to PM me or do I have to call?

I'd be looking a the 40/10 internet with landline....

Very good points.

In fact, Origin MAY mention something about it too by now as I haven't checked their terms and conditions recently.

As I mentioned on the phone yesterday to you Alex, Origin broadband don't have ANY fair use or traffic management on our lines.

Clarkey, I've PM'd you :-)

I would highly recommend keeping the phone line with someone else. As far as I am aware Little Big One do NOT offer a landline feature. Yes you pay line rental but they do not provide the classic phone service, they provide VoIP which uses your broadband.

I personally never wish to use VoIP because if you transfer your telephone number over to it you CAN'T transfer it back to BT again later, you have to start with a new number. So personally I keep my telephone service with Sky (as they had the cheapest line rental when I looked).

Looking at Origins page it looks like they DO offer a proper landline service now. However I still prefer to keep it separate.

As I mentioned on the phone yesterday to you Alex, Origin broadband don't have ANY fair use or traffic management on our lines.

I didn't mean to imply you had, but that you might still have a "we reserve the right to implement traffic management" in the terms, as its a while since I read them so cannot remember everything or know if they have changed or not. Its pretty standard for ISPs to reserve the right to do things that they may never ever actually do.

Like LBO said, they DO have the clause but in reality haven't actually done so. As I recall so did Be.

Its a pretty standard clause to allow an ISP to throttle a customer if the ISP are having temporary contention problems such as while waiting for an upgrade to be done and leaving that customers uncapped would be giving them an unfair share of the available bandwidth relative to other customers.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Bear in mind, it's not a proper landline service. It's VOIP.

If your internet goes down, so does your phone. They also refused to give me the Voip details to put in my mobile phone so I went with Origin.

We DO offer conventional landlines as well as VoIP now, but it's the least we can do to offer customers flexibility with our packages so our VoIP is indeed available on most mobile phones at no extra cost. All part of the service :-)