Boy, 11, boards plane from UK to Rome with no passport or boarding pass

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-18979032

While not a security issue and the aircraft was in no more danger than if he had not managed to board the plane. The boy did get screened by security before been allowed to to go airside at Manchester Airport. But the boy should have been picked up way before getting anywhere close to stepping on the aeroplane.

I can think of at least 3 check points where either a boarding pass and or passport needs to be show.

1 - At security, 2 - At the departure gate, 3 - At the door of the aircraft.

Edited by pb1977

if the boy is 11 he was old enough to know better-no one has mentioned his behaviour!

I read that he did get security checked so I don't think its that big a problem. He is 11! All he did was get a free ride on a plane.

Oh dear :hihi:

I suppose they just assume he is with his family and its not a problem, its hardly something you would expect to see happening is it, an 11 year old running away to Italy :hihi:

It's not hard to see how it happened.........................the airline concerned was Jet2.

Pay peanuts...............get monkeys.

It's not hard to see how it happened.........................the airline concerned was Jet2.

The airline only checks him at the gate, though ... who let him through passport control?

Someone's head will roll for this, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if there ends up being a criminal charge.

And have you seen the 'mother' on TV? Everybody's fault but hers. But then she does have the scraped-back ginger hair and bulging eyes made fashionable by Karen Matthews...

And have you seen the 'mother' on TV? Everybody's fault but hers

The parents called security at the shopping centre, CCTV showed him leaving the centre, and the police were informed to go and look for him.

What else should she have done?

I like this bit:

He was found mid-air on the Jet2 plane after passengers became suspicious.

Passengers, not air hostesses (I'll give them respectful titles when they do a job worthy of respect!).

"The "Rome alone" boy who breached security to board a flight to Italy has spoken of his adventure - and said he only wanted to use the plane's toilet...

Liam, who has learning difficulties, ran away from his mother after being told off when they were out shopping in Wythenshawe, Manchester, several miles from the airport.

Speaking to The Sun newspaper, Liam said: "I found a ticket on the floor that had the right day on it so I just sat on the bus.

"I knew it went to the airport. I love planes because of their big wings.

"But I didn't want to get on one. I just wanted to go to the toilet."...

His mother said ... "It's beyond a joke."..."He's never done anything like this before," said Ms Corcoran.

"He's only been to Blackpool to visit his dad."

What security did this lad breach, he did after all get screened at the security check point before been allowed to proceed to departures.

"I knew it went to the airport. I love planes because of their big wings.

"But I didn't want to get on one. I just wanted to go to the toilet."...

I wonder what was wrong with the toilets at Wythenshawe shopping centre or the numerous toilets in the visitors area of the airport?

What security did this lad breach, he did after all get screened at the security check point before been allowed to proceed to departures.

So obviously a lot of staff doing their jobs very thoroughly.

Not.

Maybe they will be brought to book by their employers?

Not.